What's your views on Politics

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

What's your views on Politics

Post by PIEMAN »

Was having a beer with a young Kiwi guy watching the 20/20 cricket saturday.He brought up the subject of politics and asked my views on the local politics.He seemed surprised when I said I didn't have any.
I said I'm a guest in the KOW and I leave that sort of things to the locals.
Got me thinking about other Barangs here,does anyone w as nt to get involved with politics,and presumably end up with the aussie guy in goal.
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: What's your views on Politics

Post by frank lee bent »

i take a very dim view of politics globally and certainly never comment on the local environment. that is for citizens to do.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Cambodian politics
"I want democracy"
" But then you have to pay tax and stop at traffic light"
"Joy mai, i dob't want demicracy any more"
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

PIEMAN wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:49 pm Was having a beer with a young Kiwi guy watching the 20/20 cricket saturday.He brought up the subject of politics and asked my views on the local politics.He seemed surprised when I said I didn't have any.
Got me thinking about other Barangs here,does anyone w as nt to get involved with politics,and presumably end up with the aussie guy in goal.
Well, having a view and expressing it to the locals are two different things. Being here for a longer period of time and not developing a view on politics feels like highly unnatural to me.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

it seems the height of hypocrisy to try and push "democracy" ( whatever that means ) into a region where one party states are the norm.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

I would have to say everyone has a view on politics be it Trump, Putin or Sen. It is a stupid person who shares that opinion without considering the consequences.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:49 pm
PIEMAN wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:49 pm Was having a beer with a young Kiwi guy watching the 20/20 cricket saturday.He brought up the subject of politics and asked my views on the local politics.He seemed surprised when I said I didn't have any.

Well, having a view and expressing it to the locals are two different things. Being here for a longer period of time and not developing a view on politics feels like highly unnatural to me.
Politics is like women. What is considered beautiful in one country is considered ugly in another. Good example from the west would be capital punishment. Some countries think capital punishment is senseless and others think its mad not to have it. Its cultural as much as political. Anyone who thinks real democracy exists in a globalised world where money makes the rules should see a psychiatrist. Doesnt matter if the rules are made by a dictator or a big multinational the average person has little influence
vm varga
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by vm varga »

Arget wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:35 pm I would have to say everyone has a view on politics. It is a stupid person who shares that opinion without considering the consequences.
This.

I've always thought it quite uncouth to discuss money, politics, or religion whilst amongst polite company.
jmagic
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jmagic »

For me, more freedom is preferable to more democracy. That's why I like it here.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

None of us here have much interest in discussing views on Cambodian politics.

What does interest us is high profile barangs who get arrested in Daun Penh for beating up Japanese tourists.

Surely this must have been discussed on your rounds over the weekend.

What's the word on the street about the Morrish incident?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic