Australian STEVE MORRISH Arrested in Phnom Penh for Breaking Japanese Man's Nose in Drunken Street Fight

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Micmac
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Australian STEVE MORRISH Arrested in Phnom Penh for Breaking Japanese Man's Nose in Drunken Street Fight

Post by Micmac »

prahocalypse now wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:34 pm
People might be confusing Morrish with James McCabe, another former Victorian cop who now works in Cambodia.

McCabe went to jail in Australia for stealing drugs and money from drug dealers.
I wonder if they know each other?
Flattery makes friends and truth makes enemies
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Re: Australian STEVE MORRISH Arrested in Phnom Penh for Breaking Japanese Man's Nose in Drunken Street Fight

Post by willyhilly »

Indeed they do and their is a story there of course....As for defamation law, I know something of this. It only takes one defamatory post on facebook to be liked and the accuser is gone. But it is state law and only worth pursuing people who actually have money. It only costs about $3000 to get the accuser to court, lawyers are quietly making a poultice form social media in Australia.
In this case the credibility of both parties would be questioned, Morrish would obviously be the loser there. And it is only worth pursuing people with assets, I doubt that Morrish has a pot to piss in.
Micmac
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Micmac »

Willy,is there a link to the story ?
Im interested in reading about the connection.
Flattery makes friends and truth makes enemies
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

No, no link to the story. Interesting this morning that a big Australian law firm is asking the government to make Facebook and Twitter liable for defamatory posts online. Under Australian law one has a year to sue for defamation and it must be proved that one person at least on your home state read the post.
I shall instruct my solicitor next week to follow up and see if Morrish has assets in Australia. If he has then they are mine. I have been involved in two defamation cases in the last year, it's all pretty straightforward. My favourite solicitor asks for $100,000 first up.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

willyhilly wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:29 am No, no link to the story. Interesting this morning that a big Australian law firm is asking the government to make Facebook and Twitter liable for defamatory posts online. Under Australian law one has a year to sue for defamation and it must be proved that one person at least on your home state read the post.
I shall instruct my solicitor next week to follow up and see if Morrish has assets in Australia. If he has then they are mine. I have been involved in two defamation cases in the last year, it's all pretty straightforward. My favourite solicitor asks for $100,000 first up.
Sue him here in the UK, shit talking on Twitter will be taken on by Carter Fuck. If it's published in any way it's libel. Pay money, get upgrades: https://www.carter-ruck.com
PhnomRon
Expatriate

Post by PhnomRon »

I hear that the Japanese guy is actually a drunken loudmouth and the fight started because he drunkenly bumped into Morrish on his way into Loco Bar to use the loo.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

PhnomRon wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:15 pm I hear that the Japanese guy is actually a drunken loudmouth and the fight started because he drunkenly bumped into Morrish on his way into Loco Bar to use the loo.

Every story has two sides , turn the page and there's a different story, so which side does this story belong to, cause I want to read the story on the other page.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I went to the Carter Ruck website and looked at the FAQs on defamation. The law is very clear in every jurisdiction. But the defamer must have assets or it is a waste of time. I was pursuing a man a few months ago who defamed me with a pedo allegation on Facebook.
The lawyer was keen to chase him when we found that he lived on a very expensive yacht in the Brisbane River. But I flagged it away when we couldn't find an address in order to serve him and my gut feeling that if you get a letter demanding $100,000 plus costs the you will sail away.
It will be easy to search for property belonging to Morrish in Victoria, it is public information. But can he be served in Cambodia?
I went to Ricketson's 440 blog and it is almost certain that Morrish defamed me there as well but under the name anon. This is the hypocrite who whinges of people posting anonymously on social media against himself.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

Micmac wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:11 am Morrish was a detective in the Victorian police force
Based in Footscray.
Footscray is one rough area,he would definitely know how to handle himself.

Some posters have suggested he was involved in some sort of police corruption.I cant find any evidence online to support these allegations.
If he was the media would have been all over it.
He was based in Footscray some time ago - used to see him around looking like a thug more than copper but that is not unusual
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

Kuroneko wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:05 pm
Micmac wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:11 am Morrish was a detective in the Victorian police force
Based in Footscray.
Footscray is one rough area,he would definitely know how to handle himself.
Great place I used to go there when I was back in Melbourne, for phở bò and to chat in Vietnamese to the waitresses. But that was over 15 years ago. I think it's gone downhill a bit since then :D

au contraire ---- footscray is well gentrified now and for good reason only 6km from the CBD. My house quadrupled in price in 11 years. When I went back to see mates 10 months ago it is full of hipster restaurants and micro-breweries and property prices insane
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic