Cleaner Steals Australian Expat's Phone

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Cleaner Steals Australian Expat's Phone

Post by hanno »

that genius wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:58 pm Doh.

There are very good reasons for wearing long pants even out of working hours..read guides..mosquitoes, leeches, sunburn, etc.

You can habitually wander around shorts if you like, but you will regret it.
I have worn shorts for the last 50 years, both in Africa and Asia, and so far I am doing just fine.

As for leeches: I do a fair bit of bird watching and shorts are much better in leech territory as you can see the buggers and pick them off. Trousers won't keep them away (never mind that the only leeches in Phnom Penh live in girlie bars and trousers will not keep them away one bit).
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

hanno wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:34 pm
that genius wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:58 pm Doh.

There are very good reasons for wearing long pants even out of working hours..read guides..mosquitoes, leeches, sunburn, etc.

You can habitually wander around shorts if you like, but you will regret it.
I have worn shorts for the last 50 years, both in Africa and Asia, and so far I am doing just fine.

As for leeches: I do a fair bit of bird watching and shorts are much better in leech territory as you can see the buggers and pick them off. Trousers won't keep them away (never mind that the only leeches in Phnom Penh live in girlie bars and trousers will not keep them away one bit).
Shorts were never a problem when I was in Africa, must admit I don't wear them here, I might get mistaken for a bogun. :lol:

Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

After going for a walk in shorts it's easy to just use water to wash the dust and dirt off that sticks to your legs. I use the bum gun. If you wear long trousers ,,, it's a lot more work to
wash and rinse then hang your trousers up to dry and thats after you go through the process of rethreading your belt, emptying your pockets etc.
You will be surprised at how much dirt clings to your pants lower down by your ankles.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

shlomo wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:47 pm
John Bingham wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:15 pm
LatinGemini wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:58 am I'm visiting next week and it strikes me that Westerners don't seem to wear long pants ever in Cambodia.
What makes you think that? Most do, I'm wearing long pants right now.
Not that you have a choice. You're compelled to do so because your workplace has a dress code. You are not even permitted to choose the color.

You two probably mix in entirely different circles anyway. He, the vacationing riverside sect and you, the slogging 9 to 5er. So it's apples and oranges.
I was responding to the idea that westerners don't wear long pants, which isn't at all true. It might seem so looking at videos of tourist spots, I'm not sure why anyone would think that.
We have a pretty relaxed dress code in work, with only one restriction... And I'm wearing shorts right now, outside of work I nearly always do. I cycle a lot so long trousers just don't work for that either. If I'm going out in the evening to meet people or to anything formal I'd always wear long trousers too but that's rare. And I get pissed off because the pockets are tiny.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
shlomo
Expatriate
Barbados

Post by shlomo »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:57 pm I'm wearing long pants right now.
John Bingham wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:57 pm I'm wearing shorts right now
For fucks sake man, make up your god damn mind.

John Bingham wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:57 pmlong trousers
While we're bullshitting, what the hell are these? Is there such a thing as short trousers? Oh that's right you're from the British Isles. You probably use words like pantaloons also.

I'd better quit while I'm ahead. I can feel my utter disdain for you welling up from the depths of my bowel.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

Duncan wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:04 pm After going for a walk in shorts it's easy to just use water to wash the dust and dirt off that sticks to your legs. I use the bum gun. If you wear long trousers ,,, it's a lot more work to
wash and rinse then hang your trousers up to dry and thats after you go through the process of rethreading your belt, emptying your pockets etc.
You will be surprised at how much dirt clings to your pants lower down by your ankles.
Why not let your girlfriend do it?
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I live rurally and haven't worn long pants for years. All the long pants I brought with me are now used as rags. Only wear long sleeved shirts when it's uncomfortably cool.
Last edited by taabarang on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Good enough for colonial officers, good enough for me (Kenya):

Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

shlomo wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:52 pm
John Bingham wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:57 pm I'm wearing long pants right now.
Posted at 1215 during the work day (logical)
John Bingham wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:57 pm I'm wearing shorts right now
Posted at 9.57 after working hours (also logical)

For fucks sake man, make up your god damn mind.

John Bingham wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:57 pmlong trousers
While we're bullshitting, what the hell are these? Is there such a thing as short trousers? Oh that's right you're from the British Isles. You probably use words like pantaloons also.

I'd better quit while I'm ahead. I can feel my utter disdain for you welling up from the depths of my bowel.
The disdain is probably from something you ate. After reading this you might get "disdain" again after eating crow. =@
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

taabarang wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:10 pm I live rurally and haven't worn long pants for years. All the long pants I broughI brought with me are now used as rags. Only wear long sleeved shirts when it's uncomfortably cool.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic