German man detained by immigration for no passport in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

German man detained by immigration for no passport in Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

PHNOM PENH - A 50 year old male German national, identified as STEFAN​ THOMAS​ SIEGMAR​ SEVDAS​, was taken into custody on January 23, 2018, at 15:10, after he was apprehended near Central Market in Phnom Penh for not being in possession of a passport. He has been sent to the immigration authorities for questioning and the usual legal procedures.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: German man arrested for no passport in Phnom Penh

Post by PIEMAN »

:tophat: not having a passport on him or not having one full stop.
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

How do they find these guys. I haven't been asked to show my passport outside the airport immigration desk for ages.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: German man detained by immigration for no passport in Phnom Penh

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

There must be more to thus story. Maybe he caused a ruckus or something.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:49 am How do they find these guys. I haven't been asked to show my passport outside the airport immigration desk for ages.
There are no "immigration checks," they only find the guys because the guys otherwise bring themselves to the attention of the police, like by sleeping on the street or punching tuk tuk drivers.
vm varga
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by vm varga »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:41 am Maybe he caused a ruckus or something.
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:49 am How do they find these guys. I haven't been asked to show my passport outside the airport immigration desk for ages.
the guy's got previous for this, I thought I recognized the face. sadly the only link I can find is from 2013 on TOF , the DAP News link doesnt exist and this is all I can find so please mods feel free to delete if it encroaches your rules. I know the dude off the other forum don't like mention of the competition

[Khmer440 link removed.]
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Excuse my ignorance but do you have to carry your passport with you in Cambodia?

I was not aware of this if it is law.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

angkorjohn wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:24 am
the guy's got previous for this, I thought I recognized the face. sadly the only link I can find is from 2013 on TOF , the DAP News link doesnt exist and this is all I can find so please mods feel free to delete if it encroaches your rules. I know the dude off the other forum don't like mention of the competition

[Khmer440 link removed.]
Good find :thumb:
Doing a search on his passport number I got this from Khmerload News https://www.khmerload.com/news/14953
Full English translation here:https://translate.google.com/translate? ... rev=search

Here's an extract:

The Germans were abusive to the whole of Sihanoukville, shocked by the fact that the police immediately launched a crackdown.

Sihanoukville: A German man who is mentally ill has been arrested by the head of the provincial police chief of the Preah Vihear police headquarters and police in Battambang's provincial police inspectorate, while the foreigner was walking into the house, causing a wave of violence throughout Sihanoukville. The incident took place on June 24th, 2013 at 18:30 at the house of Heng Heng Fashion Company, with its owner, Van Sothy, male from Group 7, Village 3, Independence Road, Sangkat No. 2, Municipality, and Preah Sihanouk province.

Lt. Col. Sam Saroeun, chief of the immigration police department of Preah Sihanouk province's police chief, told a reporter from Deum Ampil in Preah Sihanouk province that the man, SEVDAS STEFAN, male, born 1968, is a German national with a passport holding A2148259 visa. May 21, 2013 Stay at Sokhl Guest House, Room # 115, Group 14, Village 4, Sangkat 4, Municipality - Sihanoukville.

The reason for the detention is 1: illegal residence (no passport). There are two types of abnormalities: shouting, confusing people in public places and drinking beverages by sellers of Ochheuteal to drink no money.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Confusing people in public places?

Can we sue Fox News?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic