German man detained by immigration for no passport in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: German man detained by immigration for no passport in Phnom Penh

Post by whiteribbon »

Arget wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:27 pm Excuse my ignorance but do you have to carry your passport with you in Cambodia?

I was not aware of this if it is law.
I do remember reading somewhere foreigners should keep their passport on them at all times. I never take it anywhere in Cambodia but showing my (up to date) driving licence is usually ok, at least for banks, police checks and hotel check-ins, etc.
just noise, white noise
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: German man detained by immigration for no passport in Phnom Penh

Post by Anchor Moy »

:thumb: Good work detective team. :clap:
As CN said, you dont get randomly arrested for not having a passport, you have to draw attention to yourself by behaving badly enough that someone calls the cops, and then they ask to see passport and visa.
Amazing that the guy has survived this long in Cambodia if he was already abusive and penniless in 2013.
Wonder what will happen to him now. Released, and then same same in another five years ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic