After work drinks - where do you go?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SockPuppet
Expatriate
Honduras

After work drinks - where do you go?

Post by SockPuppet »

There are so many venues around town. Where do people go for after work drinks these days before going home?
(non girlie bars - after work is a bit early for those)
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: After work drinks - where do you go?

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

SockPuppet wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:01 pm There are so many venues around town. Where do people go for after work drinks these days before going home?
(non girlie bars - after work is a bit early for those)
i think Mings Bar & Bistro (the old Rehabb on 174) is popular with some friends of mine

Sharkys has now re-opened so that might become popular, had a good night in there the other week, stayed until closing
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

This would obviously depend on where people live/work, ie.someone who lives & works in TTP isn’t going to travel all the way to meth central to go to Ming’s Bar for daily after work drinks.

In TTP the best/most popular after work drinking spot is Ellys Bar on 135.

Another factor would be the type of work, ie. low paid TEFLERS aren’t going to be going for after work drinks at places like Oskars, Larry’s, Le Bouchon, etc...they’re going to drink where the beer is cheaper, places like Blue Dog, The Irish Place, etc.
Last edited by PSD-Kiwi on Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SockPuppet
Expatriate
Honduras

Post by SockPuppet »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:49 pm This would obviously depend on where people live/work, ie.someone who lives & works in TTP isn’t going to travel all the way to meth central to go to Ming’s Bar for daily after work drinks.

Actually TTP is of interest to me
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes
SockPuppet
Expatriate
Honduras

Post by SockPuppet »

SockPuppet wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:51 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:49 pm This would obviously depend on where people live/work, ie.someone who lives & works in TTP isn’t going to travel all the way to meth central to go to Ming’s Bar for daily after work drinks.

Actually TTP is of interest to me
I sometimes stop at long after dark and sundown (before sunset).
I don't like the places where you walk in and everybody turns to look at you. How is Ellys for head-turners :D
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Showbox has free beer 6:30 - 7. Popular with the teacher crowd.

PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Ellys definitely isn’t pretentious and hipsterish like the other 2 joints you mentioned, it’s more of a “Cheers” style bar where everyone knows your name...but if you don’t want to interact with other people then they’ll leave you alone.

Unfortunately they’re closed on Wednesday’s, otherwise I’d meet you there for a beer now
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"Sharkys has now re-opened so that might become popular, had a good night in there the other week, stayed until closing."

Jamie you can stop with the 'best English brekkie" shit; we're onto you lad. Your true brekky is the last drink at sunrise.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
SockPuppet
Expatriate
Honduras

Post by SockPuppet »

Ming's is not the same without Nat (even with Playboy and Owen).
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:07 pm Sharkys has now re-opened so that might become popular, had a good night in there the other week, stayed until closing
Sharkys never been of interest to me. Has it changed at all in the last 3-4 years (haven't been there in a while)
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:49 pm Oskars, Larry’s, Le Bouchon
those are more of a late night hang out spots for me due to the distance from home/work
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:01 pm Ellys definitely isn’t pretentious and hipsterish like the other 2 joints you mentioned
What I like about long after dark and sundown - no one gives a fuck when i walk in. Smaller places where everyone knows each other give me social anxiety (especially before i get a drink in me lol)
epidemiks wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:00 pm Showbox has free beer 6:30 - 7. Popular with the teacher crowd.
Showbox reminds me of being inside of someone's very disturbed mind - not how I want to feel after work lol
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Haha, all good, I wouldn’t worry about everyone turning their head to look at you when walking into Ellys, unless you’re a sexy chick, apart from the bar tender.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic