All about bitcoin in Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

All about bitcoin in Cambodia

Post by Abc123 »

Cambodia is not a country most people would associate with Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies. It is one of those nations which one hardly ever hears anything from, unless it has to do with civil unrest. Contrary to what people believe, there is a genuine cryptocurrency culture in Cambodia these days. Moreover, most investors and miners are not overly worried about the country’s national bank issuing warnings regarding Bitcoin.

Cont reading.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: All about bitcoin in Cambodia

Post by pczz »

"Mining Bitcoin is still a worthwhile venture in Cambodia right now. That’s because there is access to rather cheap electricity, and internet access is not overly difficult to come by either. Local " from the first link above. they obviously have an in depth knowledge of Cambodian infrastructure
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

....That’s because there is access to rather cheap electricity,...

LOL with the lowest electric price (800 riel/kwh) about double what it is in Thailand, his research was not very good
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:15 pm ....That’s because there is access to rather cheap electricity,...

LOL with the lowest electric price (800 riel/kwh) about double what it is in Thailand, his research was not very good
gonna double check but I think our village is 600, but it allegedly comes in from vietnam. bill is not from electricite de cambodge
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

pczz wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:16 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:15 pm ....That’s because there is access to rather cheap electricity,...

gonna double check but I think our village is 600, but it allegedly comes in from vietnam. bill is not from electricite de cambodge
Even 600r is expensive, and the cheapest is 720 for the lowest tier of use. Do you know what setting up an electrical connection costs? Especially if you need serious power? And if the power comes from Vietnam, it will be switched on and off according to the convenience of the provider. I am sure Cambodia is not even in the top-20 of interesting mining countries due to the climate (good luck cooling all those chips....), the availability / reliability of power and the price of power.

Anyone stating the opposite has probably made an 'investment' in bitcoins when it was at the latest peak value and is trying to safe some bucks spent at that time.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

And I forgot to mention the availability and price of hardware.....
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:00 am

Even 600r is expensive, and the cheapest is 720 for the lowest tier of use. Do you know what setting up an electrical connection costs? Especially if you need serious power? And if the power comes from Vietnam, it will be switched on and off according to the convenience of the provider. I am sure Cambodia is not even in the top-20 of interesting mining countries due to the climate (good luck cooling all those chips....), the availability / reliability of power and the price of power.

Anyone stating the opposite has probably made an 'investment' in bitcoins when it was at the latest peak value and is trying to safe some bucks spent at that time.
we were in SR one new years, think it was like 2011 and Thailand "turned" off the lights at11:00 pm.
It was beautiful. :beer3:

I pay 3.48 baht/kwh
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

I think the tarrif depends on the size of connection. I cannot remember exactly what it is but I think you can have 5, 20 or 60. Cost $50 to connect the house to the supply which is about 75 to100 metres I think. Not sure how legit it all is. no fridge no aircon.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

pczz wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:15 am

I think the tarrif depends on the size of connection. I cannot remember exactly what it is but I think you can have 5, 20 or 60. Cost $50 to connect the house to the supply which is about 75 to100 metres I think. Not sure how legit it all is. no fridge no aircon.
The prices for new connections have been lowered about two years ago, but are still ridiculously high. Four years ago I had to pay 250 USD for a 32A connection, plus the costs of the cable to my house, plus the costs of the poles to get the wires up. These days it's about 125 USD for 32A, plus, plus, plus. That's quite a lot to become a customer....
The 50 USD you're talking about is for the cable, not the subscription. Many offices will insist on installing the cable for you and they will buy cable in wholesale and sell it at inflated retail prices to you (what was it about the rate of corruption improving?). That's added to the subscription fee. It's possible the connection you are talking about is a shared connection with another house, that would also explain why there's no invoice from 'Electricite de Cambodge'. This is illegal, and they should enforce you not to have it, but it's still installed on a large scale because there's money to be made.

For 30-50 USD you get a 5A connection these days, that's not going to provide you with a lot of mined coins unless you will cool your systems by blowing over them by yourself.

Connection 30 USD up, and USD 0,18 per KWH. In the region there's loads of countries with lower prices and higher reliability rates. Plus your equipment won't last long in Cambodia unless you use high quality backup power, because the voltage can be anything between 120-280V and modern chips don't like that. They will either fail or fry. Far from economical compared to Thailand, Vietnam or Malaysia.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic