3rd World Scammers in 3rd World Countries

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
VLayHo-ho-ho
Expatriate
Philippines

3rd World Scammers in 3rd World Countries

Post by VLayHo-ho-ho »

On Sep 2, 2014, at 4:55 PM, MARLENA NIKIA <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear C******n,
It is my sincere pleasure at this moment to exhibit my total trust bestowed on you in accordance to my Proposal to you of which I am fully convinced that you will really be of immense assistance to my present predicament as my beneficiary. Well, i hope my proposal to you will be given proper attention despite the fact we have not known or met each other before.I am contacting you in respect to my late husband's fund worth US$8.5Million deposited with diplomatic company here in London for security purposes. But right now my husband is dead and the security company has been giving me several notifications to make the claim of the said fund before it is being declared unserviceable by the beneficiary. I want a situation whereby you assist me to make the claim of this fund from the security company so that it will be transferred to your custody pending my arrival to your country so that we can use it judiciously for investment purposes. I will be offering you 30% of the fund for your foreign assistance as long as you can help me out in carrying out this project effectively without being greedy and selfish. I am contacting you in this respect for the below purpose, 1, My financial incapability of making the claim at the moment. 2, I want to invest the fund overseas with a help of a reliable and trustworthy foreigner . Make sure you keep this transaction as your top secret and make it confidential until you receive the fund to your custody. Don't disclose it to any body, because the secrecy of this transaction is as well as the success of it I hope to hear from you regarding my proposal.,
Thank you.
Marlena
Was what I received through LinkedIn. My wife had one recently asking to wire money through Western Union to a random name in Kuala Lumpur. Whoever they are, they're Targeting Cambodia. I don't know if any of these have ever been successful.
There was no sarcasm or malice intended during the making of this post.
khmerinade
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: 3rd World Scammers in 3rd World Countries

Post by khmerinade »

They are most likely Nigerian, and they are sometimes successful as some people tend to be extremely greedy and want to get something for nothing.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

khmerinade wrote:they are sometimes successful as all people tend to be extremely greedy and want to get something for nothing.
Fixed.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

US/Vietnamese version (Love the Portuguese at the end.) :

[quote]David B. Shear

Aug 31 at 5:59 PM
Good day,

Good day i am David B. Shear, writing you from the United state Embassy here in Vietnam. i am contacting you regarding (Mr Hoang Trung Hai) he died after the Vietnamese war as a result of allergy shock. because he was shot in the back of his brain, he died 2005. i was checking the files in my office and i find out some declaration papers which he stated his properties, because he lost all his family in the war.Since then I have made several inquiries to our embassy to locate any of his extended family but has been unsuccessful. After several unsuccessful attempts, I decided to trace his last name over the internet, to see if I could locate any member of his family hence I contacted you, Of particular interest is this huge deposit that is why i am contacting you as who will be the next of kin to claim this property. i am waiting to hear from you soon for more details.

David B. Shear
Ambassador
+841645507751
[email protected]

Secretaria de Estado de Educação de Minas Gerais[quote)
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

VLayHo-ho-ho wrote:Was what I received through LinkedIn. My wife had one recently asking to wire money through Western Union to a random name in Kuala Lumpur. Whoever they are, they're Targeting Cambodia. I don't know if any of these have ever been successful.
It's not 'Targeting Cambodia', it's targeting the world. It's email. If both your email address and your wife's email address are starting to receive these, then your names are on the list!

This is how it works.
You keep your computer clean of malware.
However, your friend's computer gets some malware. Your name is on your friends email mailing list. (Your friend could be anywhere in the world. Or even the guy sitting next to you.)
The malware on your friend's computer steals the list of email contacts. Now, your name is literally in the public domain of these types of spammers.
Your email address will be sold on to others, possibly for several years to come.

Tell your friends, all of them, to get serious about anti-malware software. And to stop clicking on stupid things on questionable web-sites.

:hattip:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Should be noted that 'Nigerian Scam' now refers to a type of scam that first originated in Nigeria (utilizing the mythical Nigerian Prince) but is now a category of scam that does not need to involve the country of Nigeria or its natives at all - as in the examples given. 'Nigerian Scam' is not a racist slur.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

StroppyChops wrote:Should be noted that 'Nigerian Scam' now refers to a type of scam that first originated in Nigeria (utilizing the mythical Nigerian Prince) but is now a category of scam that does not need to involve the country of Nigeria or its natives at all - as in the examples given. 'Nigerian Scam' is not a racist slur.
That's why I like the US Embassy version - shows an ability to adapt and that the scam has become universal (so now we can stop beating up on Nigerians and start complaining to the US Embassies :lol: )

Oh, and that email wasn't sent to me - got it from a friend...I use to sort of collect them but that got a bit stale, too much same same.
If anyone has anything original please share... :popcorn:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I used to forward those to a Filipino mate who collects them. I only hope he's not recirculating them.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
VLayHo-ho-ho
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by VLayHo-ho-ho »

I emailed 'her ' back and got an original reply;
Subject: Re: Hello
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 17:17:58 +0700
To: [email protected]

Hi Marlena,

I work for the national ••••••••• of Cambodia.
If you are trying to act in a manner which is fraudulent or lying to me in any way, I can track your contact details and expose you.

Sincerely,
.Dear ••••••,

what has gone wrong with you? Please let me know if you are willing to assist me for this claim and do not level wrong accusation on my person. I am waiting to hear from you for me to know my decision.
thanks
marlena,
VLayHo-ho-ho
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by VLayHo-ho-ho »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic