Is The Phnom Penh Post next to owe back taxes in Cambodia?

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
User avatar
Arget
Expatriate
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:44 am
Reputation: 1300
Location: Phnom Penh
Contact:
Australia

Re: Is The Phnom Penh Post next to owe back taxes in Cambodia?

Post by Arget »

pczz wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:22 pm
taabarang wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:03 pm "a fes i lnow got out a few years ago after gazing into the crystal ball.
some are members here."

Please put that quote into English. For what it's worth very few posters here have balls, much less crystal ones.

As a side note, "perhaps "more civilized than thou" types.". .,that ironically describes your writing style.
this is a forum for people to express their views, not an English test. Criticize a point of view by all means but not how it is spelt or worded or we will never get to discuss anything other than why CEO spell checker uses American spellings. Also please do not make comments about posters balls. I doubt you have looked at many of them, but if you have you should keep that private. I have no desire to check if you have any, not interested. As for the lady members, I do not find it all surprising or interesting whether they have balls or not. Damn this American spelling sux
That's not all that sucks on here. =@
User avatar
John Bingham
Expatriate
Posts: 8861
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:26 pm
Reputation: 4537
Burkina Faso

Re: Is The Phnom Penh Post next to owe back taxes in Cambodia?

Post by John Bingham »

Abc123 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:42 pm
John Bingham wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:43 pm
Abc123 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:36 pm
John Bingham wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:00 pm No, because they don't owe any back taxes. They were always way ahead of the Daily when it came to accountability.
On a side-note - Bernard Krisher, later of the Cambodia Daily, wrote an inaccurate article in 1965 or so naming the Queen Mother Kossamak as a brothel and opium den owner. It turned out she only owned the land that these independent businesses were on. The article caused such a fuss that there were riots in Phnom Penh and the US and British embassies were ransacked.
More spurious rubbish.
You don't know what you're talking about:

Bernard Krisher- Newsweek April 5 1965

And Laos receives plenty of foreign aid, here's just one graph:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/675 ... tion-laos/
Over the years, Japan, Australia and Germany as well as multilateral institutions such as the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and International Development Association (IDA) in the World Bank
(WB) Group have been Laos’ top donors /creditors .Recently, however, the Republic of Korea (ROK) and Thailand have ranked among major donors and creditors.
https://www.sombath.org/wp-content/uplo ... -Watch.pdf
Are you seriously trying to mislead readers into thinking falsehoods again. Laos foreign investment by OECD countries was severely affected by the reemergence of Chinese rule in the 70's, and it never had the billions UNTAC spent on Cambodia. The link you supplied is defunct as well. It's to a $50 p y pay site.

Here's a list of US aid for the years 1960 and 2015 for Laos, Cambodia and others.
https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/DT.ODA.ALLD.CD

They receive about half what Cambodia receives. It has never had billions of western tax payers money spent on stopping a civil war and bringing in a democracy.
The idea that Krisher alone caused riots at the US embassy is laughable to say the least. Even the author of your so called evidence, says ostensibly. Do you know what that word means?
Laos has less than half the population than this country does, and has had no major conflicts since 1975 - so it follows that it receives less aid than Cambodia.Your ideas about Chinese rule in Laos are laughable. Chinese influence in Laos waned in the 70s and the country was afterwards in the opposing Viet/ Soviet sphere until at least 1989. Bernard Krisher's role in the break-down of US-Cambodia relations was documented by many sources, including Kenton Clymer's "United States and Cambodia, 1870-1969". I never said his article was the only cause, but it was certainly one of the catalysts.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
pczz
Expatriate
Posts: 3200
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:00 pm
Reputation: 798
Location: phnom penh
Great Britain

Re: Is The Phnom Penh Post next to owe back taxes in Cambodia?

Post by pczz »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:08 am
Abc123 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:42 pm
John Bingham wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:43 pm
Abc123 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:36 pm
John Bingham wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:00 pm No, because they don't owe any back taxes. They were always way ahead of the Daily when it came to accountability.
On a side-note - Bernard Krisher, later of the Cambodia Daily, wrote an inaccurate article in 1965 or so naming the Queen Mother Kossamak as a brothel and opium den owner. It turned out she only owned the land that these independent businesses were on. The article caused such a fuss that there were riots in Phnom Penh and the US and British embassies were ransacked.
More spurious rubbish.
You don't know what you're talking about:

Bernard Krisher- Newsweek April 5 1965

And Laos receives plenty of foreign aid, here's just one graph:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/675 ... tion-laos/
Over the years, Japan, Australia and Germany as well as multilateral institutions such as the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and International Development Association (IDA) in the World Bank
(WB) Group have been Laos’ top donors /creditors .Recently, however, the Republic of Korea (ROK) and Thailand have ranked among major donors and creditors.
https://www.sombath.org/wp-content/uplo ... -Watch.pdf
Are you seriously trying to mislead readers into thinking falsehoods again. Laos foreign investment by OECD countries was severely affected by the reemergence of Chinese rule in the 70's, and it never had the billions UNTAC spent on Cambodia. The link you supplied is defunct as well. It's to a $50 p y pay site.

Here's a list of US aid for the years 1960 and 2015 for Laos, Cambodia and others.
https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/DT.ODA.ALLD.CD

They receive about half what Cambodia receives. It has never had billions of western tax payers money spent on stopping a civil war and bringing in a democracy.
The idea that Krisher alone caused riots at the US embassy is laughable to say the least. Even the author of your so called evidence, says ostensibly. Do you know what that word means?
Laos has less than half the population than this country does, and has had no major conflicts since 1975 - so it follows that it receives less aid than Cambodia.Your ideas about Chinese rule in Laos are laughable. Chinese influence in Laos waned in the 70s and the country was afterwards in the opposing Viet/ Soviet sphere until at least 1989. Bernard Krisher's role in the break-down of US-Cambodia relations was documented by many sources, including Kenton Clymer's "United States and Cambodia, 1870-1969". I never said his article was the only cause, but it was certainly one of the catalysts.
Acccording to this https://www.voanews.com/a/us-demining-c ... 04809.html and this https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/us ... 8ecb94aba3 the us is giving about 10 times more in demining aid to Laos than to Cambodia. Not sure if that is included in the OECD figures or not
taabarang
Expatriate
Posts: 3858
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 7:49 am
Reputation: 975
Location: Outside of Kampong Cham city
United States of America

Re: Is The Phnom Penh Post next to owe back taxes in Cambodia?

Post by taabarang »

OK Frank, now that I'm rid of the poster who was trying to bust my balls, what exactly is a "fes?"
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
User avatar
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Posts: 3017
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:49 am
Reputation: 550
Location: Sihanoukville
Korea North

Re: Is The Phnom Penh Post next to owe back taxes in Cambodia?

Post by cptrelentless »

pczz wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:22 pm ...we will never get to discuss anything other than why CEO spell checker uses American spellings...
For the technically un-astute, the browser you are using makes the little wavy lines, not the website. Go into settings or options, look for languages or spell checker, tick the dictionary of your choice.
...
I'm sure HE is just a misunderstood, cuddly teddy bear and in no way is this country a kleptocracy.
User avatar
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Posts: 2775
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:50 pm
Reputation: 811
Location: Phnom Penh
Cambodia

Re: Is The Phnom Penh Post next to owe back taxes in Cambodia?

Post by timmydownawell »

taabarang wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:30 pm OK Frank, now that I'm rid of the poster who was trying to bust my balls, what exactly is a "fes?"
"few"
No matter how much it rains, the dirt never washes away.
pczz
Expatriate
Posts: 3200
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:00 pm
Reputation: 798
Location: phnom penh
Great Britain

Re: Is The Phnom Penh Post next to owe back taxes in Cambodia?

Post by pczz »

cptrelentless wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:46 pm
pczz wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:22 pm ...we will never get to discuss anything other than why CEO spell checker uses American spellings...
For the technically un-astute, the browser you are using makes the little wavy lines, not the website. Go into settings or options, look for languages or spell checker, tick the dictionary of your choice.
...
I'm sure HE is just a misunderstood, cuddly teddy bear and in no way is this country a kleptocracy.
Thanks, Can you please tell me where it is in settings for IE11? I can't find it. Set to English uk in office
pczz
Expatriate
Posts: 3200
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:00 pm
Reputation: 798
Location: phnom penh
Great Britain

Re: Is The Phnom Penh Post next to owe back taxes in Cambodia?

Post by pczz »

https://english.stackexchange.com/quest ... ist/301139

I would have expected the negated form to be inastute - but that gets only 150 hits in Google Books, compared to 281 for unastute (neither word appears in the full OED, or any free online dictionaries, so far as I can see). – FumbleFingers Jan 20 '16 at 13:34
taabarang
Expatriate
Posts: 3858
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 7:49 am
Reputation: 975
Location: Outside of Kampong Cham city
United States of America

Re: Is The Phnom Penh Post next to owe back taxes in Cambodia?

Post by taabarang »

pczz wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:43 pm https://english.stackexchange.com/quest ... ist/301139

I would have expected the negated form to be inastute - but that gets only 150 hits in Google Books, compared to 281 for unastute (neither word appears in the full OED, or any free online dictionaries, so far as I can see). – FumbleFingers Jan 20 '16 at 13:34
this is a forum for people to express their views, not an English test. Criticize a point of view by all means but not how it is spelt or worded ..."

Make up your mind!
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
pczz
Expatriate
Posts: 3200
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:00 pm
Reputation: 798
Location: phnom penh
Great Britain

Re: Is The Phnom Penh Post next to owe back taxes in Cambodia?

Post by pczz »

taabarang wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:59 pm
pczz wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:43 pm https://english.stackexchange.com/quest ... ist/301139

I would have expected the negated form to be inastute - but that gets only 150 hits in Google Books, compared to 281 for unastute (neither word appears in the full OED, or any free online dictionaries, so far as I can see). – FumbleFingers Jan 20 '16 at 13:34
this is a forum for people to express their views, not an English test. Criticize a point of view by all means but not how it is spelt or worded ..."

Make up your mind!
touche! however in my defense, if someone wants to call me stupid using what sound like "intelligent" words they should use words that actually exist in the recognized dictionaries. there was nothing wrong with how it was spelt or how it was worded, he just yused a word that does not officially exist as it is not in the recognized dictionaries
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: clutchcargo, talltuktuk, username, wendyaspinall and 263 guests