Battambang as a tourist destination?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Battambang as a tourist destination?

Post by timmydownawell »

that genius wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:04 pm
pczz wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:14 pmI cannot imagine it being any more boring than kohkong or kampot
Be ready to be surprised.
lol. Harsh ...but fair.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

You cannot integrate. Your horizons are limited without certain social skills, like having an ear or mouth.

You cannot find hidden gems. You cannot learn about family news, birthdays, etc.

You cannot learn the gist of a situation.

You are a self-imposed outsider. Like a Chinese or Mexican or Eastern European who refuses to learn English.

You are an eternal tourist.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
Takmav
Expatriate
Costa Rica

Post by Takmav »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:23 pm
that genius wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:00 pm Not sure I would call it a riverside, in the dry season you can literally jump across the river, more of a creek

Agree with richard, boring town, and expensive accommodation, thanks to a history of Korean/Japanese NGOs who gave their staff insane accommodation allowances

A Donald Trump town, imho
It's dry season now and the river is still there. My guest house is only $6 for a large room with fan, LCD TV, a phone (don't ask me why), and a hot shower.

It is a bit boring though, which is why a few decent restaurants and bars would liven it up.
Cross the HE bridge and keep going east on that road. Lots of nightlife places about one km along. Very friendly people.
During the day follow the road North next to the river down to the lake.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

SmartAston Martin wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:27 pm You cannot integrate. Your horizons are limited without certain social skills, like having an ear or mouth.

You cannot find hidden gems. You cannot learn about family news, birthdays, etc.

You cannot learn the gist of a situation.

You are a self-imposed outsider. Like a Chinese or Mexican or Eastern European who refuses to learn English.

You are an eternal tourist.
That describes my life in PP, but I think that's for another thread. Right now I am an actual tourist :)
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

Ha, well that's OK. Take a look around! It's cheap.

Be prepared for a year's expenses. Maybe 2-3.

But I do see the region growing overall, and Cambodia playing catch up quickly.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

SmartAston Martin wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:39 pm Ha, well that's OK. Take a look around! It's cheap.

Really I was just speculating that BTB could easily be more than it is. SHV is undergoing a major change in demograph, and I think that will spread to Kampot in time. I think BTB has the same potential that Kampot enjoys now (with the exception of proximity to the coast of course) but it could still be a cool, chilled destination. When the manbuns arrive you'll know I was right (ok there are some here already) but I just think the potential for cafes/bars is good here. And when the trains are running again business will get a definite boost.

As for me, my future visa EOS lays in the hands of the powers that be...
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:53 pm
SmartAston Martin wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:39 pm Ha, well that's OK. Take a look around! It's cheap.

Really I was just speculating that BTB could easily be more than it is. SHV is undergoing a major change in demograph, and I think that will spread to Kampot in time. I think BTB has the same potential that Kampot enjoys now (with the exception of proximity to the coast of course) but it could still be a cool, chilled destination. When the manbuns arrive you'll know I was right (ok there are some here already) but I just think the potential for cafes/bars is good here. And when the trains are running again business will get a definite boost.

As for me, my future visa EOS lays in the hands of the powers that be...
please god no, no a chiang mai :facepalm:
The most attractive thing about battambang is the lack of foreigners. We all come here to get away and wind up eating texmex in a barang sport bar discussing how bad local girls are FFS. that is not cool. Once foreigners get more than 10% its time to move
STEVITO
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by STEVITO »

I find Battambang a charming destination. Great countryside this is easily accessible from the town. A few nice restaurants. A short hop to Thai border.
Not too many bars and a great one, Balcony Bar has closed recently. However Miss Wongs (same as in Siem Reap) will open in Battambang soon - perhaps March.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

just be careful of the odd landmines in the countryside =@
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

timmydownawell wrote:Well I think Kampot is poised to become the new Sihanoukville, so it stands to reason that Battambang will become the new Kampot.

As for there being no pub street, the little street between Rd 2 and Rd 3 is labelled on Google maps as Pub Street but (thankfully) it's much more low key and relaxed than its namesakes elsewhere.
^ This.
Any town with a street 2 and a half has to be a winner.
At least for Harry Potter.....

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic