How do you get around town?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Sumac
Expatriate
Cambodia

How do you get around town?

Post by Sumac »

I realize many of you get around on motorbikes. But for those of you who don't own or rent a motorbike, how do you get around town these days? Are you still using tuk tuks and motodops or have the Uberesque companies changed your habits? I'll be in Phnom Penh next month and am wondering about using Tsumo or other options.
Even when a person is not there, the water flows.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How do you get around town?

Post by SmartAston Martin »

Yeah, great revolution, with quirks, but much better than Tuk tuks!

Just get Passap, Itsumo, Uber or now Grab, and get going!

Only problem are unsure drivers new to maps, haha!

I STILL suggest getting a working local to talk to your driver before he sets out. They'll get the straight dope in Khmer.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

There is always the option of renting a bike, which would be what i'd do if I didn't live here. However if you are not a regular rider Phnom Penh is getting lethal. :shock: :D

I ride a tiny Yamaha Jupiter which s ok for me :D

Sumac
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Sumac »

SmartAston Martin wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:48 pm Yeah, great revolution, with quirks, but much better than Tuk tuks!

Just get Passap, Itsumo, Uber or now Grab, and get going!

Only problem are unsure drivers new to maps, haha!

I STILL suggest getting a working local to talk to your driver before he sets out. They'll get the straight dope in Khmer.
Glad to hear that! I know the city really well as I lived there for 3+ years, and I speak Khmer well enough to tell the drivers where to go. A couple questions if you don't mind my asking.

Do you find any of the apps to be better than the others?
How long do you typically wait for a driver?
Do you use it with motodops? Taxis? Tuk tuks?

Thanks for your help!
Sumac
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Sumac »

Kuroneko wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:10 pm There is always the option of renting a bike, which would be what i'd do if I didn't live here. However if you are not a regular rider Phnom Penh is getting lethal. :shock: :D

Yeah, good point. I typically move around a lot in the evening when I'm drinking so I'd rather just pay someone to do the driving and stay safe. Where I live in Japan, it's $2 minimum on the train and about $5 minimum for taxis, so I don't mind paying $1-3 for someone to take me somewhere.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Sumac wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:00 pm
Kuroneko wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:10 pm There is always the option of renting a bike, which would be what i'd do if I didn't live here. However if you are not a regular rider Phnom Penh is getting lethal. :shock: :D

Yeah, good point. I typically move around a lot in the evening when I'm drinking so I'd rather just pay someone to do the driving and stay safe. Where I live in Japan, it's $2 minimum on the train and about $5 minimum for taxis, so I don't mind paying $1-3 for someone to take me somewhere.
Wow I did not realize japan was so damn cheap. $5 mill let you get into a taxi in the uk, maybe but will not get you anywhere. $2 for a train hahaha for that your could travel the length on maybe half a carriage.
username
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by username »

I ride a small 110cc mostly, and sometimes I use one of the tuktuk apps. Yesterday I had two very close calls, and they were both 100% my fault for driving like an idiot. Might park the bike for a few days now...
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I cycle most of the time. I probably do 100km or so a week. The only accidents I have ever had in 10+ years were from riding into giant pot-holes/ drains hidden by puddles, and a couple of times when I was so drunk I fell off. Other times I use tuk-tuks or motodops but they are relatively expensive. I have that Pass app on my phone but I've never used it. The good thing about bicycles is that the police never stop you, you get some exercise and the running costs are very low. You can also get through gaps other vehicles can't and even lift a bike over barriers. If you get too drunk or tired a bike can easily fit in a tuk-tuk. It's cool enough in the early morning before 8 and after 5 too. It's very rare to get rain in the morning but in the rainy season a lot seems to pour down around evening rush hour. I think it's a good way to get around, most of the city is very flat so it doesn't take much effort.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:13 pm I cycle most of the time. I probably do 100km or so a week. The only accidents I have ever had in 10+ years were from riding into giant pot-holes/ drains hidden by puddles, and a couple of times when I was so drunk I fell off. Other times I use tuk-tuks or motodops but they are relatively expensive. I have that Pass app on my phone but I've never used it. The good thing about bicycles is that the police never stop you, you get some exercise and the running costs are very low. You can also get through gaps other vehicles can't and even lift a bike over barriers. If you get too drunk or tired a bike can easily fit in a tuk-tuk. It's cool enough in the early morning before 8 and after 5 too. It's very rare to get rain in the morning but in the rainy season a lot seems to pour down around evening rush hour. I think it's a good way to get around, most of the city is very flat so it doesn't take much effort.
However if you have a wife on the back it :D might get tricky
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

charlie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic