How do you get around town?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: How do you get around town?

Post by pczz »

Kuroneko wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:05 am
John Bingham wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:13 pm I cycle most of the time. I probably do 100km or so a week. The only accidents I have ever had in 10+ years were from riding into giant pot-holes/ drains hidden by puddles, and a couple of times when I was so drunk I fell off. Other times I use tuk-tuks or motodops but they are relatively expensive. I have that Pass app on my phone but I've never used it. The good thing about bicycles is that the police never stop you, you get some exercise and the running costs are very low. You can also get through gaps other vehicles can't and even lift a bike over barriers. If you get too drunk or tired a bike can easily fit in a tuk-tuk. It's cool enough in the early morning before 8 and after 5 too. It's very rare to get rain in the morning but in the rainy season a lot seems to pour down around evening rush hour. I think it's a good way to get around, most of the city is very flat so it doesn't take much effort.
However if you have a wife on the back it :D might get tricky
nope. put the wife on the front and sit back and relax. buy her a cyclo for valentines day, help her keep trim + I bet she look beeter in lycra. job done :beer3:
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Just beware in Temple Town. No Uber or Grab or anything, especially from the airport. Strictly taxi mafia or call a tuk tuk.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I always walk around town or catch the local ( free ) bus, but walking requires a lot of skills in dodging around restaurant tables and chairs, moto's parked purposely to block your path and tuk-tuks double parked so your only clear walking space is following the center yellow line. But this is still quicker then driving, and here is an example. I passed this yellow yank tank twice over a one hundred metre stretch, and it wasn't because the young khmer guy driving could not find second gear.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

Sumac wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:57 pm
SmartAston Martin wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:48 pm Yeah, great revolution, with quirks, but much better than Tuk tuks!

Just get Passap, Itsumo, Uber or now Grab, and get going!

Only problem are unsure drivers new to maps, haha!

I STILL suggest getting a working local to talk to your driver before he sets out. They'll get the straight dope in Khmer.
Glad to hear that! I know the city really well as I lived there for 3+ years, and I speak Khmer well enough to tell the drivers where to go. A couple questions if you don't mind my asking.

Do you find any of the apps to be better than the others?
How long do you typically wait for a driver?
Do you use it with motodops? Taxis? Tuk tuks?

Thanks for your help!
People like Passap, even with frequent delays. They're busy now! The others are good, too.

Khmer helps.

Bikes are great, just be sober and healthy. Traffic slows it all down, so less dangerous but I sometimes get a scared feeling, but no real problems (yet).

I suggest even if recently living here to use riding apps, it's safer, no robberies / rapes (AFAIK), and is cheap. Please TIP a bit if you like continued service.

NOTE: good for use while drinking. Park your bike at an overnight location, then go. Safe, cheap, kinda fun!

NOTE 2: Can take 30+ min. to summon at times. Be mindful of rush hours and HAIL EARLY. That means a little thinking ahead, even if you're drinking!

Some rides are nice (do not get sick inside!): like the price of a Tuk Tuk for a Prius with Aircon and a stereo. Nice, huh?

Cheap, nice and safe, if it can take 15-30 min. to arrive. Remember to offer directions in Khmer from local staff, no worries.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
Sumac
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Sumac »

pczz wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:02 pm
Sumac wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:00 pm
Kuroneko wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:10 pm There is always the option of renting a bike, which would be what i'd do if I didn't live here. However if you are not a regular rider Phnom Penh is getting lethal. :shock: :D

I ride a tiny Yamaha Jupiter which s ok for me :D

Yeah, good point. I typically move around a lot in the evening when I'm drinking so I'd rather just pay someone to do the driving and stay safe. Where I live in Japan, it's $2 minimum on the train and about $5 minimum for taxis, so I don't mind paying $1-3 for someone to take me somewhere.
Wow I did not realize japan was so damn cheap. $5 mill let you get into a taxi in the uk, maybe but will not get you anywhere. $2 for a train hahaha for that your could travel the length on maybe half a carriage.
Yeah, I remember how expensive taxis were in the UK when I was there. Still, they can be ridiculous here as well. $5 gets you in the taxi plus 1-2 km. If I were to go the main train station in town, a 25 min. ride, it will cost about $50. As for the trains, I was talking about city commuter trains. $2 to go one stop on the subway. The bullet train to Tokyo is around $100. Not cheap, IMO. Anyway, looking forward to paying much less in Cambodia.
Even when a person is not there, the water flows.
Sumac
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Sumac »

SmartAston Martin wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:13 am
Sumac wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:57 pm
SmartAston Martin wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:48 pm Yeah, great revolution, with quirks, but much better than Tuk tuks!

I STILL suggest getting a working local to talk to your driver before he sets out. They'll get the straight dope in Khmer.
Glad to hear that! I know the city really well as I lived there for 3+ years, and I speak Khmer well enough to tell the drivers where to go. A couple questions if you don't mind my asking.

Thanks for your help!
People like Passap, even with frequent delays. They're busy now! The others are good, too.

Khmer helps.

Bikes are great, just be sober and healthy. Traffic slows it all down, so less dangerous but I sometimes get a scared feeling, but no real problems (yet).

I suggest even if recently living here to use riding apps, it's safer, no robberies / rapes (AFAIK), and is cheap. Please TIP a bit if you like continued service.

NOTE: good for use while drinking. Park your bike at an overnight location, then go. Safe, cheap, kinda fun!

NOTE 2: Can take 30+ min. to summon at times. Be mindful of rush hours and HAIL EARLY. That means a little thinking ahead, even if you're drinking!

Some rides are nice (do not get sick inside!): like the price of a Tuk Tuk for a Prius with Aircon and a stereo. Nice, huh?

Cheap, nice and safe, if it can take 15-30 min. to arrive. Remember to offer directions in Khmer from local staff, no worries.
Cheers, for the information! Looking forward to avoiding the whole negotiation process every time I need a ride somewhere!
Even when a person is not there, the water flows.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

Mind the new construction, FYI, there are LEGITIMATE detours nowadays, like sky bridges, new roads, construction trucks, etc.

So be safe and don't get paranoid. New roads all the time, new delays right now, i.e., construction in the dry season.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:56 am Just beware in Temple Town. No Uber or Grab or anything, especially from the airport. Strictly taxi mafia or call a tuk tuk.
Itsumo are apparently there now.

In PP I always use Itsumo or PassApp. Itsumo anytime except rush hour as they seem to have longer wait times (and the price goes up slightly). Wait time usually 15 mins max.

Price is basically the same for both of them, you do get the % cashback with Itsumo that will eventually give you a free ride (after about 20 or so) but even without this it is cheap enough.

I personally never use Uber or Grab as the wait times are a little longer and the car journey always takes twice as long due to traffic, the new tuktuks are nice enough and can fit 4 at a squeeze.
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

Sumac wrote:

Thanks for your help!
I would recommend passapp over itsumo for waiting times, app ui and sometimes even prices. Uber over grab as I personally have had 6 out of 9 rides from grab get cancelled or drivers getting lost due to the crappy grab map that is supplied. Most drivers here from talking to them prefer to drive for uber simply because the map works properly. Also, uber almost always has a weekly deal on right now. Waiting times on all apps vary depending where you are, I am a little out of the way so usually 6 to 8 mins. In busy areas usually 2 to 4 mins.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I walk mostly. I used to use motodops as my second choice but am using uGo711 now (I also have PassApp but haven't tried them yet). I wear sneakers and helmet when using a motodop, so using the tuk tuk app frees me up from carrying the helmet around at least. And I caught a bus recently too, which I might do more often now.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic