Guards..black uniforms...

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
maxwellbest
Tourist
Australia

Guards..black uniforms...

Post by maxwellbest »

Hi there

I was a recent visitor to Cambodia...on a recent trip to Phnom Penh, I took an early morning flight to Bangkok. Got a tuk tuk out to the airport...One thing I noticed along the way, I am unsure as to what road it was...there were black uniformed guys lining the road, carrying what looked like automatic weapons with covers on...I was intrigued..where these just normal security guys guarding things like petrol stations and the like? Or something else??

Thanks in advance...
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Guards..black uniforms...

Post by John Bingham »

They were probably bodyguard unit, who are an elite army unit with about 3000 or so members. They have tanks, mobile rocket launchers etc and played a big role in the border dispute with Thailand a few years back.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

^ this

They were probably lining the street as there was a motorcade of some important person coming by soon.

They do it all the time. It’s nothing to be alarmed about.
maxwellbest
Tourist
Australia

Post by maxwellbest »

Thanks guys for your timely response..
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

You know its serious if they have their guns on display instead of in their covers, which I thibk I have only seen once outside HE residence. begs the question A) are the guns real and b) whats the point of having your gun in a zipped up cover? you will be dead before you get it out presumably?
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Idk. But i reckon those guys can prolly pull the trigger without worrying about dropping their fly first!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The covers are a relatively new thing, they only started using them quite a bit after the disturbances that followed the 2013 election. I'm not sure why they brought these cases into use, I believe it was a PR move as they don't look much different than tennis-racket covers in photos, also they prevent dust jamming up some sketchy Norinco gear.
8-) All the security forces got bumped up around then, new tactical gear, knee & elbow pads, etc since then. I feel sorry for the footsoldiers who have to hang around in full body armor in the sweltering sun, apparently they get paid quite a bit more than any other army unit though. The security forces are much better equipped than they were 5 years ago. Even the traffic police have their body armor, they might not have the plates in all the time but they are ready. The old park-keepers who mutated into an intervention force now have tons of equipment too - trucks, armor and back-up. I thought the Water Festival was great this year for the amount of security deployed, the guns were out of the cases for that.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

yes but thankfully the traffic police usually have empty holsters...
Not too sure you could fire those assault rifles in the case. probably jam if you can get your finger on the trigger, nowhere for spent cases to go and of course safety will be on :oops:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

pczz wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:17 pm yes but thankfully the traffic police usually have empty holsters...
Not too sure you could fire those assault rifles in the case. probably jam if you can get your finger on the trigger, nowhere for spent cases to go and of course safety will be on :oops:
They work pretty well as bludgeons too, or so I've heard.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Don’t forget all the MIB looking dudes during the water festival as well.

It was like the secret service was out in force and not a gun to be seen, although I’m sure they were all carrying.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic