Killing the Buffalo ceremony - Kratie ethnic minority pray to ancestors

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Killing the Buffalo ceremony - Kratie ethnic minority pray to ancestors

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Kratie: The Ethnic Minority Lorn along the national road No.7 in northeast of Kratie killed the buffalo to celebrated the traditional praying to ancestors for peace.
The celebration of praying associated with a buffalo sacrifice to the ancestor who passed away is different from Khmer ancient traditions.
According to the leader of Ethnic Minorities Lorn, the Lorn sacred traditional ceremony of killing the buffalo is very ancient. They tie the buffalo to the killing pole and cut buffalo's head, put it on the pole which is tied up the buffalo and pray to the ancestor or spirits for peace for their family.

The praying to ancestor for peaceful of the family, has been a traditional and culture for many years, it also established in 2017 as Cultural and traditional book written by Mr. Meach Pon.

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
chorlton
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Re: Killing the Buffalo ceremony - Kratie ethnic minority pray to ancestors

Post by chorlton »

beating & hacking a defenceless animal to death for "peace" and some stupid medieval belief is such a fail of empathy
if their beliefs say to kill anything they should start with themselves and rid the world of such archaic depravity
fuck this being mitigated as tradition or ancient weve evolved and these cnuts are anchors on humanity that need educated
:x
"Tolerance towards intolerance is cowardice"
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

apocalypse now
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

One word.

Yemen.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

chorlton wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:05 pm beating & hacking a defenceless animal to death for "peace" and some stupid medieval belief is such a fail of empathy
if their beliefs say to kill anything they should start with themselves and rid the world of such archaic depravity
fuck this being mitigated as tradition or ancient weve evolved and these cnuts are anchors on humanity that need educated
Colonialism. "Depraved natives! So deplorable!"

Drama queen ...

Sacrificial animals have existed since before Abraham. For more familiar religions.

Get over it. Wild animals get torn apart in the wild, alive or dead.

Most "sacrificial" animals today live a better life than wild.

Drop the "holier than thou" attitude, will you?
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
chorlton
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by chorlton »

SmartAston Martin wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:57 pm
chorlton wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:05 pm beating & hacking a defenceless animal to death for "peace" and some stupid medieval belief is such a fail of empathy

Colonialism. "Depraved natives! So deplorable!"

Drama queen ...

Sacrificial animals have existed since before Abraham. For more familiar religions.

Get over it. Wild animals get torn apart in the wild, alive or dead.

Most "sacrificial" animals today live a better life than wild.

Drop the "holier than thou" attitude, will you?
Straw man, deflect & apologise for suffering if you get pleasure from it as these sick folk do too

You're just a keyboard warrior that want a flight over basic human decency 24/7

Unlike you I won't blast negative at your karma becuse u disagree or pretend I know shit all about you
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

It's "no big deal."

Look at Spain? They kill bulls everyday in many towns in their high season.

What's the difference?

Your tinted (maybe tainted) viewpoint. I'm sick of silly Western newbs with NatGeo glasses on.

Honor the high savage, their is a noble beating heart behind the facade of the hunter.

Read Campbell and more on wild hunting groups.

You may have over civilized yourself to extinction if cannot understand a basic hunting rite.

You hate Native Americans, too?
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

You two deserve each other.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

This tradition is only carried out by some remote hill tribes, and is gradually withering out. It isn't practiced anywhere else. I think it's terrible to be so unnecessarily cruel to an animal. It's not something that is done everyday or just for fun though. Many of these indigenous tribal villages do spend an inordinate amount of their wealth on ceremonies. I've seen videos where they were burying a brand new Honda Dream with a recently-deceased chief. They made sure to smash it all to bits before it was buried to deter grave-robbers. These people are often very superstitious and will decide to sacrifice a very expensive water buffalo or other animals to appease some spirits. This often ends up ruining those still living, but as long as the spirits are happy it's all good.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
chorlton
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by chorlton »

SmartAston Martin wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:22 pm It's "no big deal."

Look at Spain? They kill bulls everyday in many towns in their high season.

What's the difference?

Your tinted (maybe tainted) viewpoint. I'm sick of silly Western newbs with NatGeo glasses on.

Honor the high savage, their is a noble beating heart behind the facade of the hunter.

Read Campbell and more on wild hunting groups.

You may have over civilized yourself to extinction if cannot understand a basic hunting rite.

You hate Native Americans, too?
Keep going
I'm not even playing

Kill what pleases you
I'll do me darling
Suck it up
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic