i opened a bank account today in <1-hour

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: i opened a bank account today in <1-hour

Post by pczz »

chorlton wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:15 pm
that genius wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:42 pm
chorlton wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:11 pmnow im searching for the best intermediary firm to shift circa 17.5k sterling over to be my 24k $ balance for ER visa application at 42yrs old.......fingers crossed %)
I am a Prince, I can do this for you, all I need is your full name, bank account # and password

No offence, but I suggest you don;t advertise finances in such detail on a forum
Detail ?

Come on now settle
Canadia will give you a list of their intermediary banks if you ask and there is 1% receiving fee at Canadia, minimum $10
Remember that will be $25 or $35. Ur bank will charge you for a wire and give you a crap rate. You need a forex company. rates vary according to amount.before you choose a forex fim check they can actually send to Cambodia. I send stuff through an offshore dollar account in IOM but you have to be in uk to set it up
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

chorlton wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:54 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:48 pm
chorlton wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:41 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:28 pm Chorlton, May I ask what made you choose Canadia Bank over others, in particular ABA which so many of the posters here have recommended?
I'm getting an account with them too shortly assuming they accept an application that is
It wasn't a competitive choice thing it's to do with a person here basically
Sorry I realise thats vague

This acc let's me speed up some stuff is all & far cheaper than daily $500 withdrawls at $5 a go
If you mean ATM fees for foreign withdrawals: MB Bank free for Mastercard, Maybank free for (some) Visa cards.

And I'm with PSD, ABA is good for local banking.
Not with my Halifax infinity MasterCard (credit) unfortunately
Chorlton if you are using Halifax. Money transfers are £9 at any value. I use Halifax to ABA.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

it is not the charge that hurts, its the exchange rate. Most fx companies will give you a poorr ate on small amounts like £5000 or less. the rate gets better usually up to £20000. Above that you don't usuallu get much of an improvement until at least £50k. Do check for special offers. For example HIFX was giving me a worse exchange rate because I was a regular customer, already hooked. my friend who had not used his account yet, got a better rate becasue they wanted to hook him. the joys of marketing! There are numerous multicurrency cards you can get now which give the perfect interbank rate but not all of them can send money to Cambodia. I use a revolut card to switch to USD, then send the USD to a USD account in IOM for free, and then send it from IOM to Cambodia for free. if you can find a similar card which will let you send direct to Cambodia then great. deals change all the time so get on goole. if in Uk then moneysavingexpert is a good site to start with.Banks are the most expensive way. they charge and give you a crap rate
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Opps. Forgot to mention rates in th uk are usually terrible. bring BGP or EUR here and change it at the money changers or athe bank and you will save a lot. Even if you are sending it here check firt. it could well be a better deal to send GBP or EUR to a local bank and let them do the exchange. You can also have a GBP or EUR or THB account at some banks like acleda, and with the way the dollar is tumbling right now it might be better to keep it in another currency and change it when you need it. IF you stick it in AMK you will get 8.7% on rile deposit 1 year bond. If you use a microfinance at the borer like kohkong you can pay in and withdraw in baht, saving exchange fees
chorlton
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by chorlton »

cheers for the advice
its really appreciated

ive not looked into the best way to move a largeish sum over other than 1 quick google yesterday whilst waiting in the bank

globalwebpay.com charge £4.75 & give $1.36236 to £1
no fees from Tesco for paying them £ by bacs
no fees from canandia to receive a pay-in of $

im waiting to hear if having $24k in canandia will help ensure I get a 12-month ER visa before I do anything
"Tolerance towards intolerance is cowardice"
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

chorlton wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:13 am im waiting to hear if having $24k in canandia will help ensure I get a 12-month ER visa before I do anything
You're not the only one. Let us know how you get on.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
peerless77
Tourist
Australia

Post by peerless77 »

chorlton wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:13 am im waiting to hear if having $24k in canandia will help ensure I get a 12-month ER visa before I do anything
Hi,

Any updates on whether depositing $24k in a Cambodian bank account is a valid way of acquiring an ER visa?
I'm 41 years old on an EG visa looking to transition into an ER.

Thanks
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

peerless77 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:34 am
Hi,

Any updates on whether depositing $24k in a Cambodian bank account is a valid way of acquiring an ER visa?

Thanks
People under 55 have successfully obtained 12 mth ER EOS by supplying evidence of funds as little as $6k in a Cambodian bank acct, along with a stat dec stating that they are retired, do not work and do not intend to work in Cambodia...so $24k will be more than sufficient.
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:10 am
peerless77 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:34 am
Hi,

Thanks
People under 55 have successfully obtained 12 mth ER EOS by supplying evidence of funds as little as $6k in a Cambodian bank acct, along with a stat dec stating that they are retired, do not work and do not intend to work in Cambodia...so $24k will be more than sufficient.

Or if you don't want to show your bank accounts to the government here, you can easily get an EB too. I'm around your age and don't work any more and my work permit and 1y EB visa was arranged by a visa company within 2 weeks this month. No paperwork needed. EB $290 and WP $90.
just noise, white noise
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Whiteribbon...whilst there are some dodgy agencies arranging EB EOSs and WPs for people who aren't actually eligible, I wouldn't recommend it as it could turn around and bite you in the ass at a later date, but each to their own if you're willing to take the risk.

By the way, $90 seems odd for the WP fee, considering that is actually less than the official WP fee!

With regards to showing bank balance to the government, just open a separate acct with enough in it to satisfy the DoI, they don't need to know exactly how much you have.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic