Satellite Internet

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Satellite Internet

Post by epidemiks »

Without knowing where, it's impossible to say but you'd be surprised by the strong HSDPA/3.75G and 4g network in the sticks. Not rock solid reliable, but niethe5is my smart connection in town. Whenever there's a power cut around BKK3, the Smart towers seem to go offline too.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

We's got fibre optic at the doorstep out here in Osaom. Not connecred yet but the fibre's all laid waiting for that new connection that's coming in 2017.....
Meanwhile....a dollar a week for smart shit.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Barang chgout wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:15 pm We's got fibre optic at the doorstep out here in Osaom. Not connecred yet but the fibre's all laid waiting for that new connection that's coming in 2017.....
Meanwhile....a dollar a week for smart shit.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
I was quite surprised when visiting the relatives last year in Kampong Thom that they had fibre internet. It is making its way out into the boonies.
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

You can use the 3g with a directional yagi antenna pointed towards the tower you would be surprised how much faster is the 3g with an antenna compared to a medium strength connection by phone alone. Almost 3 times faster for my experience with temporary internet connection. Even if the connection is barely working a yagi antenna on a stick will give you full bars if you can get an unobstructed line of sight to the tower.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Jack.R. wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:17 pm You can use the 3g with a directional yagi antenna pointed towards the tower you would be surprised how much faster is the 3g with an antenna compared to a medium strength connection by phone alone. Almost 3 times faster for my experience with temporary internet connection. Even if the connection is barely working a yagi antenna on a stick will give you full bars if you can get an unobstructed line of sight to the tower.
It will also depend on how good your phone is at processing the signal. some are better with weak signals than others, usually the more expensive ones. You also have environmental conditions that affect reception, for example concrete buildings with rebar , power lines etc. A decent antennae connected to router in the village as a range extender for wifi may help. https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/08/res ... oves-wifi/
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

How bout Seatel MIFI w/sim card?
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Luigi wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:03 pm How bout Seatel MIFI w/sim card?
Single sim is not fast enough. You need milti sim router that can aggregate the signals from multiple cards to give you greater bandwidth. Our disaster recovery router connected to cable, adsl and 2 sim cards and would use all if they were available, and if one went down would switch to the others. think the most I have seen is oine that takes 4 sim cards at 2mb each should give 8mb, but there are losses with aggregation so betwenn 4 and 6 should be achievable
Old8404
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Old8404 »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:05 pm when i am out in the sticks i just use metfone in my tablet and use that as a hotspot.
plenty enough for skype,whatsapp and downloading tv series
Thank you for you comment.
Old8404
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Old8404 »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:11 pm Have you checked 4G coverage by various providers in the village? You could get by with (for example) Smart $2/week for 10GB. Latency on satellite internet is not great.
Old8404
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Old8404 »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:19 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:11 pm Have you checked 4G coverage by various providers in the village? You could get by with (for example) Smart $2/week for 10GB. Latency on satellite internet is not great.
I don't think there will be 4G in 'the village'. 3G at best, maybe even less. I live in a village too, and I use two separate phones as a 'hot spot'. One with Metfone, the other with Smart. Sometimes the service on my 'default hotspot' is crap (Metfone), then I change to Smart. For FTP I also use Smart, Metfone is crap for that.

I am not sure if internet through a satellite will be cost effective, but that's up to you I guess. If you really are a power user, relocating to a village might not be a great idea.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic