How to get identity card for a Cambodian?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: How to get identity card for a Cambodian?

Post by epidemiks »

Ok. Ran it by the missus. She said, and no offence intended, that someone who has absolutely no documents raises various suspicions.

How has she done anything since 1993? Rented a house, dealt with public services, bought and sold vehicles or land.

There are innumerable instances where some form of ID would have been needed, and the very few reasons left for not having documents now, aged late 40s, include her not being ethnic Khmer. Exactly how far north/east in Ratanakiri is she from?

I don't know who you are or how long you've been here, but if you're OK with her bonifides, then all good. A dose of healthy skepticism doesn't go astray, however.

Phum / khum are the words for village / commune
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

epidemiks wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:39 pm Ok. Ran it by the missus. She said, and no offence intended, that someone who has absolutely no documents raises various suspicions.

How has she done anything since 1993? Rented a house, dealt with public services, bought and sold vehicles or land.

There are innumerable instances where some form of ID would have been needed, and the very few reasons left for not having documents now, aged late 40s, include her not being ethnic Khmer. Exactly how far north/east in Ratanakiri is she from?

I don't know who you are or how long you've been here, but if you're OK with her bonifides, then all good. A dose of healthy skepticism doesn't go astray, however.

She is an extremely poor person at the very low end here and I'm helping her family. I don't think it's that unusual for those people.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

^this
Gotsta be billshot. No id card at 47 years old. No meah puhm knows her? Mum is too old? If mum is that old, why doesn't the meah phum know mum?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

pczz wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:10 pm Sounds like the village chief is holding his hand out. in theory when her family moved to the village he should have registered them along with any ID they produced so there should be a record held at the village level of when they arrived and where they came from. He has to report his up to district level through the commune so if the village chief is not co-operative try the commune office an then as PSD says next stop is the admin office. If she knows where she was born I would try that first. Unless her mum gave birth at home there should be a birth record at the clinic, but 1970 was a very dodgy time
If she lived in a poor place I seriously doubt there would be records from the 1970's. They might have been migrants too, who knows. Clinic in Ratanakiri in 1970? I don't know, a jungle village sounds more likely.
Thanks pczz and Kiwi for the advice about going to the office. Will do that next.
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

Barang chgout wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:07 pm ^this
Gotsta be billshot. No id card at 47 years old. No meah puhm knows her? Mum is too old? If mum is that old, why doesn't the meah phum know mum?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
They do know them, but she hasn't lived in the village for like 25 years, and the Mee Phum said he does not have any proof that she is indeed the child of her mother. They could have been marginalized people in that community.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

superferret wrote:
epidemiks wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:39 pm Ok. Ran it by the missus. She said, and no offence intended, that someone who has absolutely no documents raises various suspicions.

She is an extremely poor person at the very low end here and I'm helping her family. I don't think it's that unusual for those people.
Quite possible. But it's a reasonably unusual situation.

Just offering a Khmer perspective. Even the extremely poor in my wife's village have documents. No offence intended, as I said.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

superferret wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:12 pm
pczz wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:10 pm Sounds like the village chief is holding his hand out. in theory when her family moved to the village he should have registered them along with any ID they produced so there should be a record held at the village level of when they arrived and where they came from. He has to report his up to district level through the commune so if the village chief is not co-operative try the commune office an then as PSD says next stop is the admin office. If she knows where she was born I would try that first. Unless her mum gave birth at home there should be a birth record at the clinic, but 1970 was a very dodgy time
If she lived in a poor place I seriously doubt there would be records from the 1970's. They might have been migrants too, who knows. Clinic in Ratanakiri in 1970? I don't know, a jungle village sounds more likely.
Thanks pczz and Kiwi for the advice about going to the office. Will do that next.
Just because she came from a poor place does not mean there were no records and no clinic, evena rudimentary one. The French were in charge of Cambodia and they are really anally retentive about paperwork. When the local village record book fof births and deaths is filled up it goes to district level and then to PP, so if the records got out of the village they could be in the ministry in PP either on computer or waiting to go onto computer or maybe just collecting dust. it really will depend on how determined the officials concerned were in that region to maintain the systems or destroy it. One of the historians in here will know a lot more about the ditrict at that time than we do.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic