HELP FINDING MY FRIEND'S FAMILY

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CABMAN21
Tourist
Christmas Island

HELP FINDING MY FRIEND'S FAMILY

Post by CABMAN21 »

I have a friend who is Cambodian who contacted me. He is living in the U.S. and knows I am here in Cambodia. He was adopted from Cambodia by an American family as a baby and is trying to find his parents. Apparently he spoke with them 15 years ago, but has now lost touch. I have their address, but he told me that there may be spelling errors in it. I am reaching out to you all in hopes that obvious spelling errors may jump out at you. It would be great if I could find them and reunite them for a Skype meeting. Anyway, here it is:

VILRY KET VILLAGE
SVAY TEAP COMMUNE
CHAMKA LI DISTRICT
KOM PONG CHOM PROVINCE

Any help would be great. This guy is mid 20s now...
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Re: HELP FINDING MY FRIEND'S FAMILY

Post by prahocalypse now »

Does he have the names of his parents?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

CABMAN21 wrote:
VILRY KET VILLAGE
SVAY TEAP COMMUNE
CHAMKA LI DISTRICT
KOM PONG CHOM PROVINCE

Any help would be great. This guy is mid 20s now...
Hard to tell, but first of all there us no Kompong Chom province, it's most likely Kompong Thom. However, what's weird is that it says Chamka Li district, which I'm assuming is Jomka/Chamka Leu, which is in the northern part of neighbouring Kompong Cham province along the border of the two area. Quite possible that provinces were more fluid back then.
Svay Teab (small mango) is a bit tricky as there are a lot of villages with that name. Here you can see Kompong Thom, and a district called Svay, and Jomka Leu at the bottom. I'm guessing they're in the northern part of Svay (because of the Leu part in the name). It would be fairly easy for me to find them by asking around if on the ground if you want. When I get home I'll look at one of my detailed maps which have village names.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
CABMAN21
Tourist
Christmas Island

Post by CABMAN21 »

my Google/Wikipedia results corrected for spelling yielded:

KAMPONG CHAM / PROVINCE
CHAMKAR LEU / DISTRICT
SVAY TEAB / COMMUNE
VEAL RI KAEUT / VILLAGE

HAVE QUESTION WHETHER VEAL TEAB AND VEAL TEAP ARE THE SAME (I SEE VEAL TEAB COMMUNE AND A VEAL TEAP SCHOOL EAST OF IT)

NEXT QUESTION IS CAN I TAKE BUS FROM SIEM REAP DIRECT TO KAMPONG CHAM OR DO I HAVE TO GO THROUGH PP....

HE DOES HAVE PICTURES AND FAMILY NAMES BUT THATS IT. LOST CONTACT IN YEAR 2000.
LOOKS LIKE BUS RIDE, THEN TUK TUK TRANSLATOR SPECIAL?
CABMAN21
Tourist
Christmas Island

Post by CABMAN21 »

YA BITTE! IF YOU CAN ASK AROUND THAT WOULD BE GREAT.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

You can get a minibus to Kompong Cham from Siem Riep for sure. Most big buses pass by Skun, which is in KC but a bit far from where you're trying to go.

If you're dead set on doing this, I would try to find a taxi driver in SR who speaks excellent English and try to have him bring you there directly. It would be painful to try and sort out a tuktuk from KC. He'll easily ask around for directions once there even if it's not his native province. If your search ends in failure, I'll do my best next time I'm around that area. It's surprisingly easy to find people/places sometimes just by asking around, I do that all the time. It's possible they've moved and the it'll be extremely difficult to find them, but can't do anything about that. Good luck with your search and if you come home empty - handed let me know and I'll do my best. I've been to the area before, so know my way around.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

CABMAN21 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:01 am my Google/Wikipedia results corrected for spelling yielded:

KAMPONG CHAM / PROVINCE
CHAMKAR LEU / DISTRICT
SVAY TEAB / COMMUNE
VEAL RI KAEUT / VILLAGE

HAVE QUESTION WHETHER VEAL TEAB AND VEAL TEAP ARE THE SAME (I SEE VEAL TEAB COMMUNE AND A VEAL TEAP SCHOOL EAST OF IT)

NEXT QUESTION IS CAN I TAKE BUS FROM SIEM REAP DIRECT TO KAMPONG CHAM OR DO I HAVE TO GO THROUGH PP....

HE DOES HAVE PICTURES AND FAMILY NAMES BUT THATS IT. LOST CONTACT IN YEAR 2000.
LOOKS LIKE BUS RIDE, THEN TUK TUK TRANSLATOR SPECIAL?
Seems to be here:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/%E1%9 ... 05.2750719

No need to go to the city of Kampong Cham, it's pretty far away. Look for a van from Siem Riep going to Kampong Cham city that doesn't go via Skun. Many take the shortcut and you can get of at CHAMKAR LEU. From there, use local transport.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

I would say that svay teab commune is nearer chamkar leu town

This is what Google returns using the Khmer ស្វាយទាប

https://goo.gl/maps/7Ng9yLtMzLq
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

epidemiks wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:29 am I would say that svay teab commune is nearer chamkar leu town

This is what Google returns using the Khmer ស្វាយទាប

https://goo.gl/maps/7Ng9yLtMzLq
Get the village chiefs number, give him a call. he should know everyone in his village cos he is supposed to have a file on each family, and he can ask other chiefs for you.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

PM me their names. My friend is from Chamkar Leu.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic