luy tuk doh /groom dowry /sin sod

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
kocdim
Expatriate
Fiji

luy tuk doh /groom dowry /sin sod

Post by kocdim »

I was considering to get married in Cambodia. I read the first option there is sin sod payed to the bride parents and also monthly support to the parents. The second option is much higher sin sod and no monthly support to the family. Any feedback/experience with this?
Thanks
Last edited by kocdim on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: sin sod

Post by phuketrichard »

lol
and dont forget u will be required to replace the dying buffalo, brothers education and dads second wife
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:22 pm lol
and dont forget u will be required to replace the dying buffalo, brothers education and dads second wife
:lol:
kocdim
Expatriate
Fiji

Post by kocdim »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:22 pm lol
mmm I was looking for some serious feed back from people with some experience with all this. But I have to admit it was little funny.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

What the hell is sin sod?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

OP,

first of all it's not called sin sot. Why do you call it this?

In Cambodia a casual term for it is 'luy tuk doh'. Literally that means 'money for the breast milk'. It's an amount of money paid by the man to the parents of the girl for her first marriage. This means - if she's a virgin. It's not common to pay this money for second or third marriages.

What's done with this money - and the exact amount, depends on a load of factors. Some families agree to just display the money, after which it's given back to the couple to buy land or build a house for instance. Sometimes the money is used to pay for all the wedding rituals and the bride will offer all the revenues from the wedding to the parents. Sometimes (a part of) the money will be transferred into gold - for the girl. But in all the cases I know the 'luy tuk doh' was somehow used to increase family wealth. I have never just seen the money being returned to to guy, but my experience is limited.

About caring for the family - yes, in Cambodia people care for each other hen inside a family, since there's hardly anything like like insurance. This means you might be asked for support in certain situations.
Last edited by Kammekor on Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Why not talk to your prospective wife ? Ask her what the family will expect, and what she thinks you should do.
If you don't trust your wife, then ask yourself some more questions before you go any further.

Plenty of posters here are married to Cambodians, so will have advice for you, but I think it's very much a case by case thing you need to work out with your particular family. Ask your g/f.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

1. how old are you and she?
2.is she from the city or country?
3. is/was she a working girl?
4.is she and/or her family educated?
5.do they own a car

these will affect asking price

sorry ,forgot one

6.is/was she a virgin when u met her?
Last edited by phuketrichard on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

if the village or anyone in it need something they will go your wifes family and ask her to get you to help. Then it gets tricky and you can wind up being an ATM for the entire village if you are not careful
Takmav
Expatriate
Costa Rica

Post by Takmav »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:46 pm What the hell is sin sod?
Thai language. Nowadays only paid for hiso virgin brides
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic