luy tuk doh /groom dowry /sin sod

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: sin sod

Post by epidemiks »

pczz wrote:if the village or anyone in it need something they will go your wifes family and ask her to get you to help. Then it gets tricky and you can wind up being an ATM for the entire village if you are not careful
Does this actually happen to people? My mother in law wouldn't suffer any fool that tried that on.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:11 pm 1. how old are you and she?
2.is she from the city or country?
3. is/was she a working girl?
4.is she and/or her family educated?
5.do they own a car

these will affect asking price

sorry ,forgot one

6.is/was she a virgin when u met her?

If she's still a virgin he's already paid. :hattip:
You could be next.
kocdim
Expatriate
Fiji

Re: luy tuk doh /groom dowry /sin sod

Post by kocdim »

Actually the purpose of this question is to get general filling of the attitude of the family and the wife. I understand that the help with in the family is required. But how demanding can be the family, is there huge pressure on the groom regarding problems in the family? Also whats the attitude of the wife? Does the wife puts her husband and her kids on the first place? Can she draw a line when she thinks that her duty to help is done? Because I really want to keep the family out of problems and pressures. But I dont mind helping and honoring the duty that my wife might have towards her family.
kocdim
Expatriate
Fiji

Post by kocdim »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:46 pm What the hell is sin sod?
Actually I heard the term in one Thia clip on youtube. I didnt know how it is called in Cambodia. I changed the title now. I hope everybody happy now :hattip:
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

kocdim wrote:Actually the purpose of this question is to get general filling of the attitude of the family and the wife. I understand that the help with in the family is required. But how demanding can be the family, is there huge pressure on the groom regarding problems in the family? Also whats the attitude of the wife? Does the wife puts her husband and her kids on the first place? Can she draw a line when she thinks that her duty to help is done? Because I really want to keep the family out of problems and pressures. But I dont mind helping and honoring the duty that my wife might have towards her family.
Every one is different but in my experience her family always came first, annoyed me enough to end the marriage (along with other reasons).

I never paid a cent for the “honor” of marrying her but I did support her mother, while she was alive, with a small monthly income.

Everyone I know has had different experiences and had different ways of dealing with this. The best is to talk to the Mrs and lay out what you will and will not find acceptable before getting married. If you can’t find a mutual agreement / arrangement seriously think if this is someone you want to spend the rest of you life with. The problems won’t go away and she may even resent you for not helping her family which will never mean a healthy marriage.

pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

epidemiks wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:10 pm
pczz wrote:if the village or anyone in it need something they will go your wifes family and ask her to get you to help. Then it gets tricky and you can wind up being an ATM for the entire village if you are not careful
Does this actually happen to people? My mother in law wouldn't suffer any fool that tried that on.
Depends on your mum inlaw. We had a few incidents. Mum inlaw was too embarrassed to say her daughter and or barang wouldn't do it, so she was lending people her own money
kocdim
Expatriate
Fiji

Post by kocdim »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:54 pm
kocdim wrote:Actually the purpose of this question is to get general filling of the attitude of the family and the wife. I understand that the help with in the family is required. But how demanding can be the family, is there huge pressure on the groom regarding problems in the family? Also whats the attitude of the wife? Does the wife puts her husband and her kids on the first place? Can she draw a line when she thinks that her duty to help is done? Because I really want to keep the family out of problems and pressures. But I dont mind helping and honoring the duty that my wife might have towards her family.
Every one is different but in my experience her family always came first, annoyed me enough to end the marriage (along with other reasons).

I never paid a cent for the “honor” of marrying her but I did support her mother, while she was alive, with a small monthly income.

Everyone I know has had different experiences and had different ways of dealing with this. The best is to talk to the Mrs and lay out what you will and will not find acceptable before getting married. If you can’t find a mutual agreement / arrangement seriously think if this is someone you want to spend the rest of you life with. The problems won’t go away and she may even resent you for not helping her family which will never mean a healthy marriage.
Thanks. This helps. I know every person is different. But it always helps to get some info from other people.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

It's called a 'bride price' in English.

The word 'dowry' only refers to a payment made to the groom's family.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

you also need to consider your legal obligations to the family in case of divorce, especially if you have relatives living with you
kocdim
Expatriate
Fiji

Post by kocdim »

prahocalypse now wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:03 pm It's called a 'bride price' in English.

The word 'dowry' only refers to a payment made to the groom's family.
Ok. Whatever I need to change the title again :). Ok Thanks
P.S.
Can not change the title anymore. Maybe is time limited not sure.
Last edited by kocdim on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic