New $1.5-billion Phnom Penh airport approved

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: New $1.5-billion Phnom Penh airport approved

Post by Spigzy »

rogerrabbit wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:19 pm
Doc67 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:18 am ...

The current runway is 3000 metres, or 9842 feet. Is this a long runway? It's long enough for both a 787 Dreamliner and even a 747!

So, why does Cambodia need a new airport? Phnom Penh is little more than a regional airport; you still cannot even get a DIRECT flight to Hanoi FFS, the capital city of a neighbouring country. So who do they think is going to start flying A380's and 747's here just because they have a new shiny airport?
Nope you cannot land 747 to current PP airport. Or technically you can land as the runway is long enough but it's not just the length of the runway that counts. It's also the width of runway, taxiways etc.

Also like others have said, it's about future proof. At current airport you cannot extend the terminal much anymore, there is hardly any space for parking (car or airplane), taxiways, offices, cargo handling and not talking about having second a runway. It's ok for now and maybe for next 5-10 years but after that it's going to be too small. Maybe Cambodia doesn't need airport suitable for 747's but it definitely needs a new airport that has more space around for everything else. You have to remember that air cargo has grown a lot in last few years as well. And when building new airport the difference do you build 4E or 4F is not that huge moneywise.
I seem to recall the Korean Air midnight flight being a 747, and that was also before they extended the runway - must have been a cracking flight as I looked at it on MS Flight Sim in my nerd days and it was nigh on impossible at the old length.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Spigzy wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:30 pm

The current runway is 3000 metres, or 9842 feet. Is this a long runway? It's long enough for both a 787 Dreamliner and even a 747!

So, why does Cambodia need a new airport? Phnom Penh is little more than a regional airport; you still cannot even get a DIRECT flight to Hanoi FFS, the capital city of a neighbouring country. So who do they think is going to start flying A380's and 747's here just because they have a new shiny airport?
Nope you cannot land 747 to current PP airport. Or technically you can land as the runway is long enough but it's not just the length of the runway that counts. It's also the width of runway, taxiways etc.

Also like others have said, it's about future proof. At current airport you cannot extend the terminal much anymore, there is hardly any space for parking (car or airplane), taxiways, offices, cargo handling and not talking about having second a runway. It's ok for now and maybe for next 5-10 years but after that it's going to be too small. Maybe Cambodia doesn't need airport suitable for 747's but it definitely needs a new airport that has more space around for everything else. You have to remember that air cargo has grown a lot in last few years as well. And when building new airport the difference do you build 4E or 4F is not that huge moneywise.
I seem to recall the Korean Air midnight flight being a 747, and that was also before they extended the runway - must have been a cracking flight as I looked at it on MS Flight Sim in my nerd days and it was nigh on impossible at the old length.
I phrase it very badly, as you can land 747 but it's not really what airlines want to do on small airport. 747 cargo planes visits frequently Phnom Penh too.

Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50667677/c ... -schedule/

“Once the new airport is finished, the real estate and construction sectors in Cambodia will attract more investors. The land around the airport has attracted a lot of investment already after it was chosen as the site of the new airport,” Mr Soknim said.

I think he meant,,,, even before the site was chosen.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

It goes to prove that you should do your research before buying property.

general-chatter/where-live-t466.html?hi ... live#p6598

Re: Where to Live?
Post by Duncan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:56 am

One years ago, before I bought my new house, I looked at all the areas to buy in. They all have plusses and minuses, I even remembered a long old post on the other forum [ going back 8/10 years ] on Snooky and will it ever develop into a tourist destination. After looking at the results I had gathered , like jobs for the family in the future, availability of products, population growth, increase in value of the property and the demand because of population growth, I made the decision.

Takhmau.
Why, cause it is basically a suburb of PP and the property prices were cheaper than PP and plenty of factories in the Tak/PP area. In the last year my decision has proven to be right, with 3 new banks starting up in town , 2 supermarkets, one is Lucky's, a new big market [ 3 stories high ] is now in progress and don't forget Takhmau has it's own ''Riverside '' which is very popular amongst the locals.

Another important thing is the road 21 goes from Takmau to to Vietnam and many goods are carried on this road, which today is best described as a series of potholes held apart by some bitumen . It has already been surveyed to be widened to 4 lanes and new electric power poles are being placed along the road now, even though the old lines were replaced just a few years ago.
I think properties in this area and especially on road 21 will go up before the road is rebuilt.
And I almost forgot to add,,, It's nice to have a neighbour like HE

Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
orussey98
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by orussey98 »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:58 pm
orussey98 wrote:
Not the same population, not the same skills, hard to say where it's going.
It's been more than 30 years the country is in peace and still no electricity 365 days a year, no good road , no good sewer system, etc...

Unless you bet on massive immigration from the north (China, Japan, Korea), it's still quite hard to see it as a future Singapore/Los Angeles
You're shortsighted then, and maybe even have a touch of the colonial mindset we all exhibit at times. The variables you mention aren't static. The skills will improve, the infrastructure will as well, and so will the city's skyline and needs. I'm not saying the road ahead will be easy or that Phnom Penh will be home to great movies or world renown attractions, but it'll change, and it'll change fast. Look at pictures of your hometown in 1960 and now. Look at pictures of any other city, or look at any city from a developing nation 1980 and now. Very few places have actually shrunk.

You mention Japan, Korea and China. People laughed at the Japanese when they started manufacturing consumer goods and cars in the 50s and 60s. People then laughed at the Koreans when their cars started coming into Western markets in the 80s and 90s. No one laughs at either of their offerings now. Same is happening as we speak in regards to China. Google a photo of Shanghai 1990 and now and witness the difference. Cambodia is a small country with few natural resources and a relatively small population, so it'll never compare in the same way to the aforementioned countries, but to say that the capital city will never make use of a new airport is quite shortsighted. There will be drops like Thailand and others witnessed in 97, but developiment will keep chugging along, standards of living will increase all across the country and the place will come more be unrecognizable in ten more years.
Yes maybe I am shortsighted. Or maybe you don't take the population parameters in consideration.
Japanese, Korean and Chinese people are not Khmer people.

Education is a long process, it takes 20 years to educate one person.
In 20 months you can build a condo.

That's why I said that a changing in population could maintain the development as fast as now.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Technically you can land as the runway is long enough but it's not just the length of the runway that counts. It's also the width of runway, taxiways, size of apron etc.

And they do added more connections each year. And not just to China. This year new route to Jakarta was started for example.
This is what I really like about this forum, when you want to have serious discussion you find there are well informed and knowledgeable people out there who know their stuff, so :thumb: to you Mr Rabbit.

Tell me, what's a 4E and a 4F airport?

And also, why why why doesn't PP have a direct flight to Hanoi? I want to visit for a weekend but really can't be arsed with a two flight multi hour journey for what should be a 1 hour hop. The governments should insist the national carrier operates a daily flight and if it looses money occasionally then tough shit!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Felgerkarb wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:22 pm Impossible to have the airport ready in three years. Preparing the land to pour the runways alone takes more than two years...
In the UK, it takes decades to build a 3rd runway at Heathrow and they still haven't started. I think they started talking about it 40 years ago...
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

I could see this happening:

rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:10 am

Technically you can land as the runway is long enough but it's not just the length of the runway that counts. It's also the width of runway, taxiways, size of apron etc.

And they do added more connections each year. And not just to China. This year new route to Jakarta was started for example.
This is what I really like about this forum, when you want to have serious discussion you find there are well informed and knowledgeable people out there who know their stuff, so :thumb: to you Mr Rabbit.

Tell me, what's a 4E and a 4F airport?

And also, why why why doesn't PP have a direct flight to Hanoi? I want to visit for a weekend but really can't be arsed with a two flight multi hour journey for what should be a 1 hour hop. The governments should insist the national carrier operates a daily flight and if it looses money occasionally then tough shit!
You can find more about the 4E/F etc codes here: https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/ICA ... rence_Code
In short the number tells what is the required length of runway and the letter tells about wingspan of the airplane.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh’s new airport – will it be ready in 2023…or 2024…or 2025?
December 11, 2019

Cambodia has been highlighted as one of the key emerging Southeast Asian markets for the future. Located in the southern portion of the Indochina, it is sandwiched between Thailand to the northwest, Laos to the northeast, Vietnam to the east and the Gulf of Thailand to the southwest.

Official arrivals data from the Ministry of Tourism highlights its recent rise with annual entries increasing from just 2.5 million in 2010 to over 6.2 million last year. There has been year-on-year growth throughout the decade, and despite a slowing between 2014 and 2016 (down to +5.0%), growth has subsequently returned to double-digits: +11.8% in 2017 and +10.7% in 2018. For the first nine months of 2019 the double-digit growth continues with arrivals up +10.0% year-on-year.

To support the potential, an investment has been required in infrastructure, but there seems some uncertainty how quickly new capacity will arrive. This is particularly the case in the capital Phnom Penh, where a new airport is under construction to support the visitor growth. Whether this will come online in 2023, 2024 or 2025 is not known. What is sure is that when it does, it will bring much-needed spare capacity and support Cambodia’s rise.

Overseas Cambodia Investment Corporation (OCIC) said recently that construction of the New Phnom Penh airport is on schedule and that, if there are no issues with the land, the airport will be ready by 2023. However, Cambodia’s State Secretariat of Civil Aviation has contradicted this, saying: “We need time to clear the land and lay the foundations and solve any land dispute. As per our schedule, the new airport will be ready by 2024, but it may be delayed until 2025”.

OCIC has a vested interest in the airport hitting targets as it is the principal investor, as The Blue Swan Daily highlighted earlier this year.

The existing Phnom Penh International airport, along with those at Sihanoukville, and Siem Reap, are managed by VINCI Airports through a part-owned subsidiary, Cambodia Airports, but the government opted for a state solution for the new capital city airport. As such, VINCI was not invited to participate in the bidding procedures.

The article pointed out that Cambodia’s airports witnessed a dramatic increase in air passenger traffic in the summer of 2019. More than half of the Kingdom’s passengers travelled through the capital, Phnom Penh, which saw a boost of +10% in domestic and 21% in international travellers in July alone.

Passenger traffic growth has continued at Phnom Penh, based on data to the end of the third quarter. But this is not at the levels (25% or more) witnessed in the last two years.

CHART – Passenger traffic levels at Phnom Penh International airport continue to rise in 2019, but at a levels notably down on the past two yearsSource: CAPA – Centre for Aviation and Cambodia Airports and VINCI Airports

A negative reaction to its dramatic growth is that despite several extensions that increased design capacity to five million ppa, the single-runway airport will see that capacity exceeded this year. The importance of the (incoming, tourist) Chinese market continues to grow. Current schedules for the week commencing 09-Dec-2019 show the two leading airlines are Chinese LCC Spring Airlines and Lanmei Airlines, a recent (2017) Cambodian start-up LCC which operates into China (and even more so from the vacation resort of Sihanoukville).

The Cambodian government approved the proposal to build the new airport to serve Phnom Penh at an estimated cost of USD1.5 billion in Jan-2018, with the goal that it would be operational by 2025. That date was brought forward to 2023, but could ultimately revert back to the original timetable.

The new airport is being constructed on partially reclaimed land adjacent to Boueng Cheung Loung, a lake about 30 kilometres south of Phnom Penh. Land clearance began in Dec-2018 and in Feb-2019 the Government established a special commission to supervise the development of the airport.

The 4F class airport will be capable of handling large long-haul aircraft and will reportedly cover an area of around 2,600 hectares, which would make it one of the largest airports in the world by area upon completion, whether that is 2023…2024… or 2025!
https://blueswandaily.com/phnom-penhs-n ... 24or-2025/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic