New $1.5-billion Phnom Penh airport approved

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: New $1.5-billion Phnom Penh airport approved

Post by Phnom Poon »

there were also a couple of extra helipads at the baracks there the last time i looked
Last edited by Phnom Poon on Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

monstra mihi bona!
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:18 am So, why does Cambodia need a new airport? Phnom Penh is little more than a regional airport; you still cannot even get a DIRECT flight to Hanoi FFS, the capital city of a neighbouring country. So who do they think is going to start flying A380's and 747's here just because they have a new shiny airport?
Doc67, enough with the rational questions. Thank you.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Quote Doc67 ] So, why does Cambodia need a new airport..

Whether it does or doesn't , it does not matter.

Your forgetting a airport is like any other business. To make money, in not only building it but operating it, as well as all the side businesses like leasing of shops inside , getting contracts attached to the running of it such as cleaning , supplying goods etc.

Those that are in the know already have plans ,,, which is why we , ,,, you and me,,, will always be poor.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:18 am So who do they think is going to start flying A380's and 747's here just because they have a new shiny airport?
While you are not likely to see the very large aircraft any time soon, it makes sense to build it for all possibilities. Hypothetically, the airport may still be in use in 200 years time, and Phnom Penh may be like some of the large cities of the world. Maybe many more people will be flying by then.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:18 am Does anyone have any problems with the existing airport?

IMHO it is a pleasure to use. Once through check-in you walk 50 metres to the escalator, 30 metres to passport control (which is never busy), another 30 metres to security (again never busy), then snake through the glitzy duty free shopping emporium and et voila. You then park up at Metro for a beer and some food, if desired. I cannot remember it ever taking more than 15-20 minutes and that is nearly all the check in queue, which are the same everywhere. Once you have your boarding pass you are 5 minutes away from a beer and a seat.

It is one of the few things on this country that works perfectly. And now that the middle section of the flyover on Russian Boulevard was finally completed, my journey time from Daun Penh to the airport rarely takes more than 40 minutes.

The current runway is 3000 metres, or 9842 feet. Is this a long runway? It's long enough for both a 787 Dreamliner and even a 747!

Boeing 787-8 requires a runway length of between 4,400ft - 5,000ft Boeing 787-9 requires a runway length of between 4,400ft - 6,200ft Boeing 787-10 requires a runway length of between 5,500ft - 7,000ft.

The FAA/EASA Minimum runway length requirements for MLW landings are 7,500ft (~2,300m) for the 747-8F, and 6,750ft (~2,000m) for the 747-8i.

As far as I am aware, there are no direct flights to any European capital, any city in Australia and, of course, nothing in north America.

The 787, the newest of the Boeing range and a long range aircraft, seats between 242 and 330, depending on it's configuration and has a range of up to 8500 nautical miles. It can easily reach London at 6231 nautical miles, Sydney is a mere 4365 and even Los Angeles at 8211 is even within it's grasp.

So, we have the aircraft to go long range and we have a runway for them to use.

So, why does Cambodia need a new airport? Phnom Penh is little more than a regional airport; you still cannot even get a DIRECT flight to Hanoi FFS, the capital city of a neighbouring country. So who do they think is going to start flying A380's and 747's here just because they have a new shiny airport?

The Americans have a great word for such a government ordered huge and unnecessary project - a Boondoggle.

And it is seemingly going to add an hour of travelling time for me.
I don't think it is the length that is the problem, but the load capacity of the airfield itself (maximum aircraft weight at takeoff/landing). I cannot remember anymore the rating when I was arranging cargo flights years ago, but it was lower than I expected.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I remember posting pic of the land where the new airport would / should go even before they had officially decided where they would put the new airport.

post132629.html?hilit=Airport#p132611

Re: New International Airport for Phnom Penh
Post by Duncan » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:09 am

Lots of vacant land about 20 km south of the city on both sides of the road, and near the Prime Ministers head quarters. If he has any say in the matter that's where it will be.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Agreed Duncan. I think a lot of Western expats lose track of the big picture here. I do too at times as it's too easy to be stuck in the present. I still remember my first ride from the airport just over ten years ago. The dusty road, trash everywhere, very few if any buildings over 5 stories (Canadia, Sorya and a few others?). There were cow carts in the streets selling earthenware from Konpong Chhnang and only about five or six traffic lights in the whole city. Both Cambodia and Phnom Penh have changed unimaginably since then, and will continue to do so for quite some time. It's easy to be in the present and bitch about how the waiter brought you a cappuccino when you asked for a latte.

Sure, I agree that I love the current airport and that given Phnom Penh's size and tourist attractions, it doesn't feel like it needs to grow. I never wait more than 20-30mins total, it's probably my favourite airport in the whole world. It won't stay that way forever though. If it takes them roughly five years to complete it, Pochentong might be bursting at the seams by then. I'd rather have a lightly used quasi-white-elephant of an airport than wait two hours at one that's over capacity. There's also likely a bit of jealousy going on as they see BKK and KL as large regional hubs, and want to do the same eventually. I do see the possibility that they year down the old airport to "sell off" to private investors, but who knows...

Also, I know many of you don't wander out in the boonies much, but there are huge new ring roads being built, and one which is still dirt (no vehicles yet) out west of the city in the middle of nowhere is heading straight for that airport by my estimation. Huge road like 60m road/HE Boulevard. I'd pass by it now and then wondering if it was going to be another highway to Takeo or something, but I then realized it's probably going to be another access road to the new airport.

You can rest assured there were naysayers back when Singapore, Los Angeles or any other city was starting off, but no one really remembers those guys.

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
orussey98
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by orussey98 »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:56 am
You can rest assured there were naysayers back when Singapore, Los Angeles or any other city was starting off, but no one really remembers those guys.
Not the same population, not the same skills, hard to say where it's going.
It's been more than 30 years the country is in peace and still no electricity 365 days a year, no good road , no good sewer system, etc...

Unless you bet on massive immigration from the north (China, Japan, Korea), it's still quite hard to see it as a future Singapore/Los Angeles
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Queef wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:34 am
Doc67 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:18 am So, why does Cambodia need a new airport? Phnom Penh is little more than a regional airport; you still cannot even get a DIRECT flight to Hanoi FFS, the capital city of a neighbouring country. So who do they think is going to start flying A380's and 747's here just because they have a new shiny airport?

Doc67, enough with the rational questions. Thank you.
Sorry Queef... It was morning time, I was sober. It won't happen again...
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

orussey98 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:34 pm
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:56 am
Not the same population, not the same skills, hard to say where it's going.
It's been more than 30 years the country is in peace and still no electricity 365 days a year, no good road , no good sewer system, etc...

Unless you bet on massive immigration from the north (China, Japan, Korea), it's still quite hard to see it as a future Singapore/Los Angeles
Where are you getting more than 30 years from? It's just over 20.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic