New $1.5-billion Phnom Penh airport approved

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: New $1.5-billion Phnom Penh airport approved

Post by Phnom Poon »

nominally

monstra mihi bona!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

A view of what the new planned airport will look like..
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

All I see is a 50dolla departure tax arising (and a hefty rise in "hidden" airport serivice charges)..together with a mafia controlled 30dolla transport to the city. I hope the old airport will be used as a LCCT for the cheapos.
work is for people who cant find truffles
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

truffledog wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:33 am I hope the old airport will be used as a LCCT for the cheapos.
As far as I can remember, they said it will be used by the army - the current Air Force base adjoins the airport. However I expect most of it will be sold off for private developments. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

John Bingham wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:39 am
truffledog wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:33 am I hope the old airport will be used as a LCCT for the cheapos.
As far as I can remember, they said it will be used by the army - the current Air Force base adjoins the airport. However I expect most of it will be sold off for private developments. :?
I'm sure you're probably right. Flogged off to developers or something. But the big man was quoted as saying this last year: "In my view, the old airport is to be kept as the airport, but functions differently: (1) for military airport; (2) for local flights; (3) for air freight; (4) for private jets; and (5) and for welcoming high-level delegates paying official visits to Cambodia," said Prime Minister HE. ( http://en.freshnewsasia.com/index.php/e ... 33-45.html )
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

We'll still be going via BKK, SNG or KUL to get here unless they can attract direct long haul flights. Whether they can fill them up regularly enough to make it worthwhile is anyone's guess. I suppose they'll be plenty of big planes in from China every day.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

New homes provided to Kandal families affected by new airport development
So Visal | Publication date 21 May 2021 | 20:16 ICT

The Kandal provincial authorities on May 21 handed over 171 homes to people affected by the construction of a new international airport in Kandal province's Kandal Stung district.

The affected individuals had been living on embankments inside the premises of the new airport in Boeung Khyang commune's Ta Prohm village, the provincial administration noted in an announcement.

Provincial governor Kong Sophorn admitted that construction would have some environmental and social impact, but billed the project as an opportunity for economic development, not only for the nation, but for locals.

Measuring 5m by 8m, the homes were built on 5m by 20m plots of land.

The new airport will be a 4F class airport, occupying 2,600ha in Kandal Stung and slightly protruding into Takeo province's northernmost Bati district. It will be the main airport serving the capital, replacing the current Phnom Penh International Airport, which sits on a 400ha parcel of land.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... evelopment
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Airport Protesters Vow to Block Road Next Week as Governor Refuses to Budge
2 min read

Khut Sokun
| Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:42 pm

More than 100 villagers have planned to block the entrance to the Kandal province construction site of Phnom Penh’s new international airport, as they hold out to be compensated at market prices while the governor threatens legal action.

The Kandal Stung district villagers have staged repeated protests to block bulldozers that have been brought out to clear residents’ rice fields. The total airport development — also encompassing “Airport City” commercial projects — spans 2,600 hectares in Kandal as well as Takeo province.

They gathered again on Thursday, saying the bulldozers had cleared 1.5 hectares of villagers’ farmland.

Un Soeun, 69, said she had been blocked from farming her 0.3 hectares, and was facing financial difficulties.

“The state needs this land to develop the airport, so as a solution they must address the impact,” Soeun said.

Korng Khorn, 71, said people were not opposed to a development, but wanted compensation to reflect market prices.

In the past, villagers have pointed out the gulf between the $80 to $120 per square meter they say the land is going for now, and the government’s offer of $8 per square meter. Authorities have said the $8 price was set before the airport development was announced.

Lonh Vanna, 38, a resident of Boeng Khyang commune with 0.8 hectares, said the villagers would protest again on Sunday, and then next week block the road entrance to the airport construction site.
https://vodenglish.news/airport-protest ... -to-budge/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50883981/p ... urbulence/

I'm wondering are the clouds and the blue sky are real or fake.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Violence, Around 30 Arrests at New Phnom Penh Airport Development
3 min read

Mech Dara
| Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:38 pm

Around 30 people were arrested in one morning amid violence, villagers and local officials said, as unrest around Phnom Penh’s new international airport development project in Kandal province continued to escalate.

The project, a joint venture between the civil aviation authority and tycoon Pung Kheav Se’s Overseas Cambodia Investment Corporation, has met mounting resistance over the last few months as authorities and developers have tried to bulldoze holdouts’ rice fields to clear the way for the development. People who own land in the area say they want compensation in line with market values, not the $8 a square meter on offer.

On Sunday morning around 9 a.m., about 100 people gathered at the disputed site raising banners and yelling through loudspeakers, according to around 10 villagers who spoke to VOD. Most, however, said they were terrified after the day’s events and declined to be named.

The villagers brought a tractor to block the road. Soon, police said that the protesters hurled rocks at them, and retaliated with water cannons and smoke grenades, according to the villagers, some of whom said officers also fired their guns into the air.

Authorities began to arrest the protesters, and the villagers fled through rice fields and streams to get away, they said. Some houses in the area were dismantled, they said.

Bou Leap, 45, said police later dragged her husband, Soy Ra, 50, away from their house. She alleged that officers beat her husband, and confiscated the family’s tractor and motorbike.

“When I tried to help, they prevented me and threw me into the air,” Leap said. “He was alone, there were about 10 of them, and they accused my husband of attacking them. He was sitting on the ground, they used their elbows and knees to hit his back and all over, and his face was bleeding and they dragged him away.”

Boeng Khyang commune chief Nay Chandy said police and military police had arrested around 30 people throughout the day. The protesters had attacked the officers during the protest, he said.

“They used slingshots to shoot metal and rocks and hit many authorities. Some were bleeding and swollen in their head, so the authorities arrested them. If they had just used loudspeakers, it would have been OK,” he said.

“I went there and I saw two or three buckets of rocks as big as elbows, so the authorities arrested them.”

He said the dispute was about compensation, and although some families had taken money or resettlement land, others had yet to accept any offer.
https://vodenglish.news/violence-around ... velopment/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic