Dengue hemorrhagic fever

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Re: Dengue hemorrhagic fever

Post by Barang chgout »

It's like tripping for four days. Need a piss but pretty sure you will actually have to crawl to the toilet? Have the strength to stand but fear you will pass out and hurt yourself when falling? Yeah, just like the flu.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

chorlton
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by chorlton »

Barang chgout wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:11 pm It's like tripping for four days. Need a piss but pretty sure you will actually have to crawl to the toilet? Have the strength to stand but fear you will pass out and hurt yourself when falling? Yeah, just like the flu.

ok, thanks

:thumb:
"Tolerance towards intolerance is cowardice"
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Takmav
Expatriate
Costa Rica

Post by Takmav »

Barang chgout wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:08 pm Be really careful with fluid levels. Had degue before but none of that rash/ bruising. Overhydration is apparently a risk.

A friend had dengue in Malaysia. He drank 100plus, an isotonic sports drink. He was sure it helped. He did get better quickly. If not available here should be something similar around.
chorlton
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by chorlton »

Takmav wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:37 pm
Barang chgout wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:08 pm Be really careful with fluid levels. Had degue before but none of that rash/ bruising. Overhydration is apparently a risk.

A friend had dengue in Malaysia. He drank 100plus, an isotonic sports drink. He was sure it helped. He did get better quickly. If not available here should be something similar around.
worth a go

usually tiger balm fixes everything here or so im told... :D
"Tolerance towards intolerance is cowardice"
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

a friend of mine died form cerebral hemorrhagic fever contracted in Niugini in the 1990's
took quite some time for her to die, and she had an apparent remission for several weeks
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

I had regular degue a few years back and had to be taken to the nearest "hospital".

Chantrea Poly Clinic in Steung Meanchey. Its a dirty ass khmer style hospital but they knew how to treat some dengue with the quickness.

The best part was the bill. 24 hours in the place, constant IVs and probably 5kg worth of God knows what pills - $67

Khema is great and I use them for my kids but I don't have enough self respect to spend that much cash on myself.

Sent from my CPH1605 using Tapatalk

pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

lostjeremy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:06 pm I had regular degue a few years back and had to be taken to the nearest "hospital".

Chantrea Poly Clinic in Steung Meanchey. Its a dirty ass khmer style hospital but they knew how to treat some dengue with the quickness.

The best part was the bill. 24 hours in the place, constant IVs and probably 5kg worth of God knows what pills - $67

Khema is great and I use them for my kids but I don't have enough self respect to spend that much cash on myself.

Sent from my CPH1605 using Tapatalk
Cambodian are surprisingly good at fixing the problems they see all the time like broken bones, malaria and so on. The problem is they are not that good at diagnosing anything unusual. The pills were probably vitamin pills, they like them. Don't know what to prescribe then 2 random antibiotics, a paracetamol and 3 million vitamin pills for the sweetie jar
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

But do you need insurance to go to Kansas?

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Barang chgout wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:11 pm It's like tripping for four days. Need a piss but pretty sure you will actually have to crawl to the toilet? Have the strength to stand but fear you will pass out and hurt yourself when falling? Yeah, just like the flu.

tripping?? fuck that, had no hallucinations or nice body rushes, ONLY every bone in my body ached :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

username wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:23 pm Thank you for your responses, everyone. My appointment tomorrow is with Dr. Scott.
As I'm not in pain and I don't have fever anymore, I don't mind waiting until tomorrow, if it's considered safe to do so.
I'm in my mid twenties, and shouldn't be in the risk group of dengue shock / hemorrhagic fever.

I've been looking at pictures online now of rash and bruises related to dengue fever, and both my rash and bruises look a lot milder. I'm starting to feel like I might have been scaring myself a little too much. Will be nice to see a doctor tomorrow anyway, just to be on the safe side.

The funny thing is that I wasn't at all worried while the fever was still going strong. It was first when I felt better, got rashes and bruises I started to worry when I read things like:
"The more severe symptoms of dengue hemorrhagic fever often develop after you start to recover from the dengue virus."
Are you ok this morning????
What time is appointment?
=@
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic