Dengue hemorrhagic fever

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Dengue hemorrhagic fever

Post by epidemiks »

Afaik Dengue diagnosis needs a platelet count, which you won't get tonight from a clinic like Dr Scott at travellers medical clinic, who won't be open now.

If you go anywhere tonight go to Khema bbk1 or Royal PP so you have overnight observation. Khema would be cheaper.

Where is the appointment tomorrow?

frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

correct- Dr Scott will refer you for tests
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

frank lee bent wrote:correct- Dr Scott will refer you for tests
Which is why I think going straight to Khema would be a better idea. They can take blood immediately and start pre-emptive treatment.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

epidemiks wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:00 pm
frank lee bent wrote:correct- Dr Scott will refer you for tests
Which is why I think going straight to Khema would be a better idea. They can take blood immediately and start pre-emptive treatment.
Go to Calmette or Pasteur to get the test started.
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs117/en/
treatment is hydration, pain relief and electrolytes
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

Go to Dr. Scott. He will know what to do and if that means tests, he will direct you to the right places for each test. He is the only Doctor I would put my trust in.
username
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by username »

Thank you for your responses, everyone. My appointment tomorrow is with Dr. Scott.
As I'm not in pain and I don't have fever anymore, I don't mind waiting until tomorrow, if it's considered safe to do so.
I'm in my mid twenties, and shouldn't be in the risk group of dengue shock / hemorrhagic fever.

I've been looking at pictures online now of rash and bruises related to dengue fever, and both my rash and bruises look a lot milder. I'm starting to feel like I might have been scaring myself a little too much. Will be nice to see a doctor tomorrow anyway, just to be on the safe side.

The funny thing is that I wasn't at all worried while the fever was still going strong. It was first when I felt better, got rashes and bruises I started to worry when I read things like:
"The more severe symptoms of dengue hemorrhagic fever often develop after you start to recover from the dengue virus."
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Cambo Dear wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:08 pm Go to Dr. Scott. He will know what to do and if that means tests, he will direct you to the right places for each test. He is the only Doctor I would put my trust in.
he will also sign your passport photos for you if you ask nicely. As a practicing uk doctor he can for brits and irish :-)
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

100% dengue. You will test positive for it, and all the doctor will do is tell you to stay hydrated.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
chorlton
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by chorlton »

General Mackevili wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:51 pm 100% dengue. You will test positive for it, and all the doctor will do is tell you to stay hydrated.
I know nothing other than googling...

no meds required just wait it out like bad flu ?

that's ok tbh
"Tolerance towards intolerance is cowardice"
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Be really careful with fluid levels. Had degue before but none of that rash/ bruising. Overhydration is apparently a risk.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic