Pontoon opinion

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Pontoon opinion

Post by superferret »

Here's my opinion of Pontoon in case someone's interested:

Thuggish disco really sucks

I've been to this place about 20-30 times, the only reason is there's not that many choices late night and I lived in
PP for 3 years. This place is thuggish and the music absolutely sucks.
There's so many mean looking security guards watching every move it's ridiculous. On a Thursday night there were about 20 people dancing and 4 mean looking security guards standing on the side watching them dance. One of the guys was walking around like a complete clutz acting like some boot camp intructor in the middle of the place. So unprofessional. So rude.
Very hard to find a place to sit down because half the tables are marked as reserved despite being completely empty.
They have some sort of a class system going, rich khmers get these tables if they buy bottles, so you see some bored to death looking 40+ year old women sitting on the sides by themselves at empty tables, while other people can't sit down.
The place feels like it's all about showing off how rich you are with what drinks you can buy.
As for the music. Wtf is this? It's some mix which is 80% no-name speed disco music, 15% songs that were cool three years ago, and 5% summer favorites that have been so overplayed it hurts to hear them.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Pontoon opinion

Post by pczz »

superferret wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:48 am Here's my opinion of Pontoon in case someone's interested:

Thuggish disco really sucks

I've been to this place about 20-30 times, the only reason is there's not that many choices late night and I lived in
PP for 3 years. This place is thuggish and the music absolutely sucks.
There's so many mean looking security guards watching every move it's ridiculous. On a Thursday night there were about 20 people dancing and 4 mean looking security guards standing on the side watching them dance. One of the guys was walking around like a complete clutz acting like some boot camp intructor in the middle of the place. So unprofessional. So rude.
Very hard to find a place to sit down because half the tables are marked as reserved despite being completely empty.
They have some sort of a class system going, rich khmers get these tables if they buy bottles, so you see some bored to death looking 40+ year old women sitting on the sides by themselves at empty tables, while other people can't sit down.
The place feels like it's all about showing off how rich you are with what drinks you can buy.
As for the music. Wtf is this? It's some mix which is 80% no-name speed disco music, 15% songs that were cool three years ago, and 5% summer favorites that have been so overplayed it hurts to hear them.
it didn't used to be like this. As with many of the good places in Cambodia it has slid down the slippery slope towards oblivion. I believe the owner now has other business ventuires and this is just a money machine now. The rot started when he brought in door charges and Dj's whose main talent is clearing the dance floor in record time
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

DJ's clearing the dance floor in record time...good one!
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

The music is just atrocious in the main club. Could not even stay long enough to witness the thuggish behaviour of the security guys.
Guess it only makes sense if your looking for working girls.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

King Keil wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:15 am The music is just atrocious in the main club. Could not even stay long enough to witness the thuggish behaviour of the security guys.
Guess it only makes sense if your looking for working girls.
They used to have very good security a few years back. I saw them removing a drunk Khmer very politely, not just beating him up like at home. As they took him past me they bumped my beer and the bouncer apologized and got one of the girls to bring me another one. Now, as you say, they are just a bunch of hooligans
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

I definitely agree about the new security mob, never used to be like it is now. Still a good spot to get ya groove on though...table service, poppin bottles is the only way to roll up in da club!
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

It's okay but you need to watch your bill and or change you are given back here more then anywhere else I've been in PP
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

preferred it before it had that new extension (forget what its called) very very rarely i go there these days, and only go if were buying a bottle and have a table and sofas
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jimmy Crow
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jimmy Crow »

Revolting place with no class and a bowl of contagious scarelett whores who should be screened for infectious diseases before entering premises,no sense of privacy,sweaty Nigerians and khmericans having flashbacks of life once had in the first world before they qeee deported to their ancestral land,Great music though and good service !
Everyone is equal. Everyone has a place. No one is written off, because there is worth and goodness in every life... That is the Republican ideal. And if we won't defend it, who will?
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

Place was cool in 2010.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic