End of an era - Charlie Harper’s sold

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: End of an era - Charlie Harper’s sold

Post by John Bingham »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:27 pm
My advice is
If you cannot live in SEA, Make your home country fun and find your ur little niche there.

You're giving yourself advice now?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:26 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:52 pm
Beerinthemorning wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:27 pm All the old cambodia has beer cleared and moved on and made place for a new, expensive, slightly boring version cambodia.

The main reasons most came in the first plave are no longer valid such as cheapness, raw authentic experience and good company.

Sad but true.
have to agree some what
each change brings new adventures, if ur only willing to look for them
haha that i do brother, that i do
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

What has happened to the Freedom Bar building? Sad to see pics of the Shipwreck Bar wrecked and Tony's place.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

Ask and you shall receive.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

bolueeleh wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:29 am wtf is charlie harper? n what makes it so important tat it defines an era? :stir:
wtf is bolueeleh?
Londonmail
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Londonmail »

Just see this topic for the first time,

I joined Tony Jones long existence in snooky from 2008, I think he got there in 07 and I was a frequent traveller... he had 3 bars before Charlie Harper's... But Harper's was just good timing and a great bar... with alot of loyal and frequent customers... imo Tony wasn't like most bar owners.... he was a good friend to me and many others,
He introduced me to the warm beer of the freedom bar as well... I didn't miss that place until it was gone !!! It was sooo fooking hot in there. .
I mean on many occasions... he would say fuck it mate get every out of here (who we was drinking with) let's go on a pub crawl.... and would take more than 10 customers out of his place to visit a few other bars... spread the love....
Charlie Harper's (well tony) got me finally onto anchor instead of Angkor beer... it was sooo cold and glasses always like an ice cube.....
For me the food was always reasonable/Good....
There was always good people passing through, regulars, live in, etc in general good atmosphere.. many, many good times had. dover the year i got to meet Many good people/friends o
Not everyone liked Tony or Harper's/ just not there thing... But many did.
He put on alot of events and got people together regularly.
Many times the place was bursting, and patio heaving. But there staff was always good and well managed by sung eng, and mom before.
I think running a bar or bar/hotel isn't the easiest thing to get going but something clicked at Charlie harpers and it worked
His 2 partners wasn't on the scene much and gave him the free run of it. (1 was always a good laugh but I didn't no the other very well, no names)

Since the "acciedent" I never did revisit Charlie Harper's, I couldn't knowing my friend would not be there. So I can't comment.

Kiss bar
The office
Circle bar
Was his privious bars... I no a few of you was there!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I was just thinking about Tony yesterday.
He always had a hug for me :)
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Londonmail
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Londonmail »

He often comes into my thoughts.....
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I doubt I'd have lasted long in Sihanoukville if it wasn't for Tony's hospitality and the Charlie Harpers crowd. I stayed about 6 months upstairs and not knowing anyone on arrival he introduced me to all the regulars, always enjoyed the weekend football nights. I was there with Orange Dragon when he and the General launched this forum., good times with a good crowd. I remember exactly where I was when I read of Tony's accident, on a minibus doing a visa run from Thailand to the Cambodian border. That was so sad.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

I wonder what he would think of Snooky now ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic