Belgian DAVID NOEL CATRY Caught with Cocaine in Cambodia (UPDATE: RIP)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Borum-Ex frm TOForum
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Belgian Caught with Cocaine in Cambodia

Post by Borum-Ex frm TOForum »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:38 pm
Borum-Ex frm TOForum wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:19 pm
fax wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:11 pm
hanno wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:41 pm For a measly 3 grand; the mind boggles.
CEO news missed a 0 https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50496818/d ... caine-run/
No way you’ll get 30.000$ to fly in a kg, 3000 sounds plausible
Any ideas about how much a kilo of cocaine is worth ? As long as a piece of string, no doubt, but any estimates ?
$30,000 sounds like a big cut to me. Maybe it's the Khmer Times who have added a 0.
In Antwerp, Belgium, is the price for good quality coke about 40€/ gr ,80% if you know your way a bit. Can’t compare that though since Antwerp is one of the biggest cocaine receiving harbors on the European mainland. I’ve got no idea , and i wanna keep it that way, that overhere it must be 100$ or so for a gram of 50% purity, not sure, but i think I’m close.
I actually don't give a flying fuck, furthermore nice to meet you all here! :thumb:
Borum-Ex frm TOForum
Expatriate
Cambodia

It’s been picked up by Belgian media: https://www.hln.be/nieuws/buitenland/be ... ~a453fdff/

Lazy as usual, here’s the GT:

A Cambodian court sentenced a 34-year-old Belgian to life because he had tried to smuggle more than a kilo of cocaine into the kingdom.
David Catry was convicted of drug smuggling and sentenced to life imprisonment and a fine of 17,000 euros, said spokesman Y Rin of the municipal court of Phnom Penh.
The thirties was arrested in January at the airport of the Cambodian capital. He came from Brazil. More than a kilo of cocaine was found in his luggage. Catry has been living in the Asian country for several years, where he founded a family. The man can still appeal. His lawyer was not yet available for explanation.
The Belgian had known at the beginning of June during a session debt and explained that he had been promised 25.000 euro for smuggling the stuff. He assured that it was the first time that he had done a smuggling.
Cambodia has stepped up its fight against drugs in recent years. Hundreds of people, including senior officials, have been arrested. The country has become an important hub for narcotics in the region.
I actually don't give a flying fuck, furthermore nice to meet you all here! :thumb:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Thanks Borum. That clears up the amount that (he said ) he would be paid. $30,000.
he had been promised 25.000 euro for smuggling
Still seems a lot. But after all, we only have his word for that, and the fact that the drugs don't belong to him. (Not that it made a difference for his jail sentence.)
fax wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:22 pm
A lot of drug mules are working off debts. If I held a gun to your family's head you too would get on that airplane with whatever backpack I gave you. Lay down the smartassery.
I was thinking that if the guy lives in Cambodia, then Brazil would be an unusual choice for a holiday, so this wasn't a case of a desperate broke tourist agreeing to carry the coke for an airfare and some cash, or to pay off a debt. Much more likely that he went to Brazil with the express intention of bringing drugs back to Asia.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:19 pm Thanks Borum. That clears up the amount that (he said ) he would be paid. $30,000.
Still seems a lot. But after all, we only have his word for that, and the fact that the drugs don't belong to him. (Not that it made a difference for his jail sentence.)
A lot of drug mules are working off debts. If I held a gun to your family's head you too would get on that airplane with whatever backpack I gave you. Lay down the smartassery.
I was thinking that if the guy lives in Cambodia, then Brazil would be an unusual choice for a holiday, so this wasn't a case of a desperate broke tourist agreeing to carry the coke for an airfare and some cash, or to pay off a debt. Much more likely that he went to Brazil with the express intention of bringing drugs back to Asia.
Nope not a broke desperate tourist, but a broke desperate expat. :stir:

My take;
He was hired by the Nigerians in Camboida, with air ticket paid for and the PROMISE of 25,000 euros
funny that he transited Thailand, wonder if they passed him along rather than bust him there as he held a destination ticket to PP
...Catry, whose Facebook profile says he lives in Phnom Penh, reportedly travelled from Brazil to Ethiopia, then to Thailand and onto Cambodia where he was arrested.
In Bangkok transit bags are exray'd, so it would have showed up and the Thai's called ahead.
How many expats have their bags searched entering Camboida??
Last edited by phuketrichard on Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Is it just a coincidence that the Belgian guy got nabbed with $30K cocaine and a barang got robbed of a packet containing 30K near Pochentong? Mmm
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Apart from the fact that the Dickweed got caught in Jan this year and the twat got robbed in June.
A bit late going to the airport or just slow passapp.
onico
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Belgian DAVID NOEL CATRY Caught with Cocaine in Cambodia

Post by onico »

It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
Borum-Ex frm TOForum
Expatriate
Cambodia

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:19 pm Thanks Borum. That clears up the amount that (he said ) he would be paid. $30,000.
Exactly my thoughts, i think this was a one man planned choice for opportunity to make a lot and fast cash. If he was the bait, and another one flew in with more kg’s, he’d tell about his contacts here in Cambo. I’m far from a snitcher, but if they fcuk’d me that way, I’d provide all the names of my contacts that awarded me with a life time in the slammer!
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Arget wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:05 pm Apart from the fact that the Dickweed got caught in Jan this year and the twat got robbed in June.
A bit late going to the airport or just slow passapp.
Hahaha, OK, my bad, did not check dates.
Borum-Ex frm TOForum
Expatriate
Cambodia

that geniaus wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:36 pm Is it just a coincidence that the Belgian guy got nabbed with $30K cocaine and a barang got robbed of a packet containing 30K near Pochentong? Mmm
He said that he got paid 30K (but by who??? Closed lips on that one! He prolly bought 1 kg high grade like 85% or even better for about 5000$. He could easily flog it as it is here for about 200$ per gram, add some shit to it and make it 60%, still 100$ a gram at least. Do you have a calculator on your device?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic