On cows and depression: Cambodian doctors getting it right for once.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
chorlton
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Re: On cows and depression: Cambodian doctors getting it right for once.

Post by chorlton »

I thought tiger balm cured everything :lol:
"Tolerance towards intolerance is cowardice"
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

chorlton wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:40 pm I thought tiger balm cured everything :lol:
Not quite you need to include kors kha-yal. “The girl could have died if she was­n’t coined by those old la­dies,” Soun Neang said. “I believe in kors kha-yal because it works and I saw it work with my very own eyes.” :D
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:26 am
pczz wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:43 am
Alternatively you can wind up causing social unrest in the village. I do some charity work in 1 village but it is causing a ruckus because the people who are not dirt poor think its unfair that poor people are getting al the help. So if you give1 cow, you better have a whole herd to hand out to maintain social harmony in the village
Yeah totally agree. However, as an individual remedy for improving someone's mental state, I imagine the gift of a cow would be quite efficient, and the person concerned would rather be hated than pitied.
But, as you say, this also raises questions about treating the individual in a communal society, or upsetting village eco-systems.
I don't know anything about the cow NGO and how it works, or how they choose who gets a cow and who doesn't. But I can see it could get tricky.
It would probably be better if the cows were sold rather than given - pay later or something.
if i could raise enough money i would be buying the village a herd, or setting up a hydroponics farm so they would all benefit. If the NGO's would employ people who know what they are doing a lot more could be done with the money they give :-(
chorlton
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by chorlton »

pczz wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:54 pm
Alternatively you can wind up causing social unrest in the village. I do some charity work in 1 village but it is causing a ruckus because the people who are not dirt poor think its unfair that poor people are getting al the help. So if you give1 cow, you better have a whole herd to hand out to maintain social harmony in the village
Yeah totally agree. However, as an individual remedy for improving someone's mental state, I imagine the gift of a cow would be quite efficient, and the person concerned would rather be hated than pitied.
But, as you say, this also raises questions about treating the individual in a communal society, or upsetting village eco-systems.
I don't know anything about the cow NGO and how it works, or how they choose who gets a cow and who doesn't. But I can see it could get tricky.
It would probably be better if the cows were sold rather than given - pay later or something.
if i could raise enough money i would be buying the village a herd, or setting up a hydroponics farm so they would all benefit. If the NGO's would employ people who know what they are doing a lot more could be done with the money they give :-(
great idea
ceo crowdfunded cows
im in

;-)
"Tolerance towards intolerance is cowardice"
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

chorlton wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:00 pm
pczz wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:54 pm
great idea
ceo crowdfunded cows
im in

;-)
Down boy. $ legged ones, not the st136 ones that CEO already fund :-) Crossbred cows from thailand are around $1200 each :-(
monomial
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by monomial »

There are as many reasons for depression as there are people who are depressed. There is no single magical cure that works for everyone. When I was young I used to suffer from mild agoraphobia. As I grew older it grew steadily worse. 2 months after I started taking Prozac everything was completely normal. I'm not saying my situation applies to everyone, but certainly the underlying cause in my case was due to brain chemistry, and there was no other problem to fix.

Do Western solutions lean too much towards synthetic solutions when lifestyle is the problem? Probably. But it would be a terrible mistake to think that all the world's mental health problems can be solved with a cow. Good doctors who genuinely study their patients are actually quite astute at determining when the problem is external and when it is a physical condition. The best psychiatrists know when to prescribe a cow and when to use a drug. What the problem really requires is a great degree of individual attention that is likely too expensive for most people afflicted by depression. I'm glad in this one anecdotal case a simple remedy of a cow was all that was necessary.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

monomial wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:53 pm There are as many reasons for depression as there are people who are depressed. There is no single magical cure that works for everyone. When I was young I used to suffer from mild agoraphobia. As I grew older it grew steadily worse. 2 months after I started taking Prozac everything was completely normal. I'm not saying my situation applies to everyone, but certainly the underlying cause in my case was due to brain chemistry, and there was no other problem to fix.

Do Western solutions lean too much towards synthetic solutions when lifestyle is the problem? Probably. But it would be a terrible mistake to think that all the world's mental health problems can be solved with a cow. Good doctors who genuinely study their patients are actually quite astute at determining when the problem is external and when it is a physical condition. The best psychiatrists know when to prescribe a cow and when to use a drug. What the problem really requires is a great degree of individual attention that is likely too expensive for most people afflicted by depression. I'm glad in this one anecdotal case a simple remedy of a cow was all that was necessary.
apart from "chemical imbalances' the main cause of depression is stress, and different things stress different people. lack of money, lack of security, poor health and concern about the future are key triggers. You cannot have a stress free life, so there probably is place for drugs to relieve short term issues in people who otherwise have no history of stress, such as bereavement or divorce. Unfortunately what start as short term issues can become a downward spiral very quickly
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

pczz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:47 pm
monomial wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:53 pm There are as many reasons for depression as there are people who are depressed. There is no single magical cure that works for everyone. When I was young I used to suffer from mild agoraphobia. As I grew older it grew steadily worse. 2 months after I started taking Prozac everything was completely normal. I'm not saying my situation applies to everyone, but certainly the underlying cause in my case was due to brain chemistry, and there was no other problem to fix.

apart from "chemical imbalances'

the main cause of depression is stress, and different things stress different people. lack of money, lack of security, poor health and concern about the future are key triggers. You cannot have a stress free life, so there probably is place for drugs to relieve short term issues in people who otherwise have no history of stress, such as bereavement or divorce. Unfortunately what start as short term issues can become a downward spiral very quickly

I guess that covers alcohol, caffeine, and the hundred ? chemicals in smoking. Then there's all the added chemical that have been put in your food and the hundreds that have been sprayed onto your food. All absorbed by your body to cause a chemical imbalance.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Duncan wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:27 am
pczz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:47 pm

apart from "chemical imbalances'

the main cause of depression is stress, and different things stress different people. lack of money, lack of security, poor health and concern about the future are key triggers. You cannot have a stress free life, so there probably is place for drugs to relieve short term issues in people who otherwise have no history of stress, such as bereavement or divorce. Unfortunately what start as short term issues can become a downward spiral very quickly

I guess that covers alcohol, caffeine, and the hundred ? chemicals in smoking. Then there's all the added chemical that have been put in your food and the hundreds that have been sprayed onto your food. All absorbed by your body to cause a chemical imbalance.
You forgot a few. pot, ice, heroin, cocaine. Oops I forgot they are politically correct and trendy now and its cigarettes and alcohol that are the demons :popcorn:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic