On cows and depression: Cambodian doctors getting it right for once.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Re: On cows and depression: Cambodian doctors getting it right for once.

Post by Abc123 »

chorlton wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:45 pm Good, however many have depression because of their natural brain chemistry so there isn't an underlying problem to cure.
:good:
According to the article, brain chemistry theory was based on rigged trials.
The selfy approach to science.
We all know that when you take selfies, you take 30 pictures, throw away the 29 where you look bleary-eyed or double-chinned, and pick out the best one to be your Tinder profile picture. It turned out that the drug companies – who fund almost all the research into these drugs – were taking this approach to studying chemical antidepressants. They would fund huge numbers of studies, throw away all the ones that suggested the drugs had very limited effects, and then only release the ones that showed success. To give one example: in one trial, the drug was given to 245 patients, but the drug company published the results for only 27 of them. Those 27 patients happened to be the ones the drug seemed to work for. Suddenly, Professor Kirsch realised that the 70% figure couldn’t be right.

It turns out that between 65 and 80% of people on antidepressants are depressed again within a year. I had thought that I was freakish for remaining depressed while on these drugs. In fact, Kirsch explained to me in Massachusetts, I was totally typical. These drugs are having a positive effect for some people – but they clearly can’t be the main solution for the majority of us, because we’re still depressed even when we take them. At the moment, we offer depressed people a menu with only one option on it. I certainly don’t want to take anything off the menu – but I realised, as I spent time with him, that we would have to expand the menu.

This led Professor Kirsch to ask a more basic question, one he was surprised to be asking. How do we know depression is even caused by low serotonin at all? When he began to dig, it turned out that the evidence was strikingly shaky. Professor Andrew Scull of Princeton, writing in the Lancet, explained that attributing depression to spontaneously low serotonin is “deeply misleading and unscientific”. Dr David Healy told me: “There was never any basis for it, ever. It was just marketing copy.”
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:39 pm Jamie?

charlie
Probably Charlie, I couldn't afford Dr. Lambo's bar tab.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

taabarang wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:37 pm "If any are feeling bad, really bad, just get help. Call or contact a professional organization you trust..."

Whom would you suggest in Cambodia, especially one who is fluent in both Khmer and English?
Sunrise Mental Health Clinic. I believe the British Embassy has a place they refer to also.

Alternatively, there are anonymous chat groups in your respective countries if you seek help online or even by phone.

AA has a support group, but they don't treat depression directly, they just recognize it and occasionally some members have direct experience overcoming that as well.

Best to get some good advice.

I think Khmer support is limited but growing.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

He asked them to explain, and they told him about a rice farmer they knew whose left leg was blown off by a landmine. He was fitted with a new limb, but he felt constantly anxious about the future, and was filled with despair. The doctors sat with him, and talked through his troubles. They realised that even with his new artificial limb, his old job—working in the rice paddies—was leaving him constantly stressed and in physical pain, and that was making him want to just stop living. So they had an idea. They believed that if he became a dairy farmer, he could live differently. So they bought him a cow. In the months and years that followed, his life changed. His depression—which had been profound—went away. “You see, doctor,” they told him, the cow was an “antidepressant”.
A handicapped rice farmer is extremely low on the social scale. By giving him a cow, they improved his social status - and therefore, improved prospects for his whole family. He will earn more money, but there's more to it than that. As a cow-owner, he has more respect from the village.(Owning one cow does not make you a dairy farmer, but its sure as hell a step up from being a rice farmer who has to rent a buffalo from his neighbours.) Status being what it is here, that could be a powerful anti-depressant.

There's even a little NGO who does this - donates cows to poor Cambodians - Cows for Cambodia. It's an Aussie thing.
http://www.cowsforcambodia.com/info/joi ... -cambodia/
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:19 am
He asked them to explain, and they told him about a rice farmer they knew whose left leg was blown off by a landmine. He was fitted with a new limb, but he felt constantly anxious about the future, and was filled with despair. The doctors sat with him, and talked through his troubles. They realised that even with his new artificial limb, his old job—working in the rice paddies—was leaving him constantly stressed and in physical pain, and that was making him want to just stop living. So they had an idea. They believed that if he became a dairy farmer, he could live differently. So they bought him a cow. In the months and years that followed, his life changed. His depression—which had been profound—went away. “You see, doctor,” they told him, the cow was an “antidepressant”.
A handicapped rice farmer is extremely low on the social scale. By giving him a cow, they improved his social status - and therefore, improved prospects for his whole family. He will earn more money, but there's more to it than that. As a cow-owner, he has more respect from the village.(Owning one cow does not make you a dairy farmer, but its sure as hell a step up from being a rice farmer who has to rent a buffalo from his neighbours.) Status being what it is here, that could be a powerful anti-depressant.

There's even a little NGO who does this - donates cows to poor Cambodians - Cows for Cambodia. It's an Aussie thing.
http://www.cowsforcambodia.com/info/joi ... -cambodia/
Alternatively you can wind up causing social unrest in the village. I do some charity work in 1 village but it is causing a ruckus because the people who are not dirt poor think its unfair that poor people are getting al the help. So if you give1 cow, you better have a whole herd to hand out to maintain social harmony in the village
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

pczz wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:43 am
Alternatively you can wind up causing social unrest in the village. I do some charity work in 1 village but it is causing a ruckus because the people who are not dirt poor think its unfair that poor people are getting al the help. So if you give1 cow, you better have a whole herd to hand out to maintain social harmony in the village
Yeah totally agree. However, as an individual remedy for improving someone's mental state, I imagine the gift of a cow would be quite efficient, and the person concerned would rather be hated than pitied.
But, as you say, this also raises questions about treating the individual in a communal society, or upsetting village eco-systems.
I don't know anything about the cow NGO and how it works, or how they choose who gets a cow and who doesn't. But I can see it could get tricky.
It would probably be better if the cows were sold rather than given - pay later or something.
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Abc123 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:26 am
pczz wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:43 am
Yeah totally agree. However, as an individual remedy for improving someone's mental state, I imagine the gift of a cow would be quite efficient, and the person concerned would rather be hated than pitied.
But, as you say, this also raises questions about treating the individual in a communal society, or upsetting village eco-systems.
I don't know anything about the cow NGO and how it works, or how they choose who gets a cow and who doesn't. But I can see it could get tricky.
It would probably be better if the cows were sold rather than given - pay later or something.
Interestingly, maybe stealing your neighbour's land causes a smaller social unrest than giving a very poor family a cow.
One family affected, as opposed to a whole community outraged?
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

taabarang wrote:"If any are feeling bad, really bad, just get help. Call or contact a professional organization you trust..."

Whom would you suggest in Cambodia, especially one who is fluent in both Khmer and English?
TPO Cambodia, Sunrise Mental Clinic, Indigo International
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Abc123 »

epidemiks wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:28 pm
taabarang wrote:"If any are feeling bad, really bad, just get help. Call or contact a professional organization you trust..."

TPO Cambodia, Sunrise Mental Clinic, Indigo International
Will any of those places give me me a cow?
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

No, but they may milk you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic