Need some info on possibly illegal brothel/human trafficking in Phnom Penh

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Need some info on possibly illegal brothel/human trafficking in Phnom Penh

Post by phuketrichard »

superferret wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:59 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:40 pm
superferret wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:34 pm
that genius wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:25 pm
superferret wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:22 pm This is CEO, It's a public forum and a public discussion, so you fuck off dude, just cause you have more posts doesn't make you special.
Go back to Khmer440, that's where you belong.
Ah, so 440 also told you you're delusional. OK. :D
Khmer440 is a group of been-here-too-long psychos who have nothing better to do than pick on everything. It masquerades as a public forum,
whereas it's just a vicious platform for these guys to amuse each other.
You guys are such great keyboard warriors, try doing some investigation in real life, like I am.
75% or possible more of us here were on K440 (and at least half of those frequented bars for the girls) when it was worth being there.

for the Lord knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish. ~Psalms 1:6

teach a righteous man, and he will increase in learning. ~Proverbs 9:9

The lips of the righteous know what is acceptable, but the mouth of the wicked, what is perverse. ~Proverbs 10:32

Now go peddle ur shit elsewhere, please. :please:

I never thought of myself as a monger, as i never traveled anywhere just to get laid, BUT i have partaken of the flesh of the female in many countries and in a many situations...

My motto, Live and let live as its all Karma
Ok Phuketrichard, so in the future could the 75% of you who were on K440 just not respond to any of my posts in any way please?
I really was hoping this forum is different. If all you regulars on K440 just disappeared magically, I really don't think the rest of us expats would mind and we could start having some good discussions on here without all the aging trolls who really have nothing better to do than attack random people for anything.
A lot of you guys don't even seem to have the intelligence to tell the difference between forced prostitution/human trafficking and the regular sex industry which women enter on their free will. I don't even read khmer440 anymore because the discussions there are such poor quality trash.
start ur own forum... :thumb:
u could call it the new and improved ceo/k440
dont accept anyone that has posted on the others and for sure NO ONE that has been in SE asia more than 2 years ,( except of course Trapper who has been here forever and knows everything.) >
:beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

superferret wrote: I really was hoping this forum is different.
We are. You're banned for a week, and if you come back, don't bring your negativity with you. Thanks.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
KickingWithRedLabel
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by KickingWithRedLabel »

General Mackevili wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:17 pm
superferret wrote: I really was hoping this forum is different.
We are. You're banned for a week, and if you come back, don't bring your negativity with you. Thanks.

Me thinks that him being banned might change his view about it being a "public forum"

Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Do Mira, ferret, that 'renounce citizenship guy, and maybe even Trapper, share some traights?
Is this just Mills and Boone for expats?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It cracks me up that we get so many human rights crusaders and social justice warriors online who purport to be nice guys. Once they get riled they show their true bitter and nasty nature. Hilarious, but I'm not voting for that. :lol:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

But, he's an investigator.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

superferret wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:07 pm
Kuroneko wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:09 pm
superferret wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:47 am Why would I be doing harm by trying to do something about women possibly held captive by traffickers?
Because you are making the assumption that the women are "trafficked victims" in need of rescue. You are effectively suggesting a "raid and rescue approach" which can be demonstrated as harmful to the so called "victims", even when the rescuers are supposedly professionals.
You're right and I've heard this before, I'm aware of it. That doesn't mean forced captivity, forced prostitution and exploitation of minors does not exist. That's why Human Trafficking and the CPU exist.
If you were in the field you should know better than I.
I'm not attacking regular prostitution. I don't make assumptions, but this brothel is suspicious as hell for the above mentioned things.
@OP
You said:
That's why Human Trafficking and the CPU exist.
Which is why they should be the people to contact if you have suspicions of human/juvenile sex-trafficking, surely.
Would you contact an internet forum on what to do about exploited garment workers, or fishermen, or child labour ? If you want to help, then at least contact people who have some knowledge on the subject.
What did you think that people here would tell you ? I would say that if you were concerned about the victims, then you should have contacted someone several years ago at the time of the event, when you say you first went to the brothel in question. You did nothing at the time, and many things could have changed at the place since then.
IMO, whether or not you saw anything suspect, it's too late to go to the police or an NGO about something that happened years ago when you say yourself that you were highly intoxicated.
And yeah, no reason to give forum posters the shit because they don't support your idea of an intervention several years later.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

superferret wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:59 pm Ok Phuketrichard, so in the future could the 75% of you who were on K440 just not respond to any of my posts in any way please?
I really was hoping this forum is different. If all you regulars on K440 just disappeared magically, I really don't think the rest of us expats would mind and we could start having some good discussions on here without all the aging trolls who really have nothing better to do than attack random people for anything.
A lot of you guys don't even seem to have the intelligence to tell the difference between forced prostitution/human trafficking and the regular sex industry which women enter on their free will. I don't even read khmer440 anymore because the discussions there are such poor quality trash.
So now, you're an expat ? And talking in the name of all the expats ?

/respect @SJW :hattip:
Don't forget the water buffalo
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

superferret

Don't worry about a place where you are not sure what is really going on.

However, there are thousands of prostitutes in Cambodia, and they work in a lot of different places. Some are brothels, some in bars, some in karaoke bars, some in guest houses, some on their own, some with pimps. There are some along the riverfront in PP. There are some near Wat Phnom. etc. etc. They are also in other cities and towns. In one place the men go to a certain village to pick up the girls. There are uni students who get money for uni, from their clients. There are guest houses where you can rent a room by the night or by the hour. There are so many prostitutes, they are not hard to find.

I suggest you find girls in appropriate places and talk to them. You probably can't talk to one in a bar for long unless you are paying, but you can probably talk to one along the riverfront, for example. Ask them what they want, and how they feel. Then see what you can do.

I met two sisters some time ago. They had come to PP to work, but the boss said they could not start until a few months later. They told me they work as prostitutes to get money until the job starts.

I met one girl who told me she had only come to PP and been working as a prostitute for a few days. She was a nice young girl. I told her if she worked as a prostitute, she would not get a husband who loves her. She said, if I pay her what she can earn as a prostitute, she would stop working as a prostitute. Of course that is not realistic. I tried to encourage her. She eventually said, if I keep telling her these things, I would never see her again. I have never seen her again. I don't know where she went.

I met another girl who told me she was 30. She had started working as a prostitute when she was around 20. Now that she was older, she was not getting many clients. She was homeless and hungry most of the time. She wanted to go back to the village with her mother, but did not have enough money. If you met a girl like this, you could get her to tell her story, video it, and show it to the younger girls. She really had a sad life. Prostitution is only good while they are young and beautiful (except when foreigners pick up old ladies). I met this girl again when I was hanging out with a European girl. So I introduced her. The European girl bought her a bus ticket so she could go back to her village.

I have met girls who have come to PP looking for work, and cant find work, and don't have enough money to go home. They are homeless in PP. The same in Sihanoukville. I have bought food for some of them, and given them money to go home. There was one group of 3 girls who I helped. The kept saying, we are not like the other girls, we will not sleep with you. They had a hard time believing I would help them without expecting something in return. A meal and a bus ticket home is so little for us. In one place the security guards told the girls not to trust me. I helped the girls. The next time I met homeless girls in that place, the security guards told them I was a good person.

I have met young girls whose parents got divorced and remarried, so the girls were kicked out. These girls were homeless in PP. They start out asking for money, then later they learn they can get money if they sleep with the men. One of these girls was definitely underage and men were taking her to their room. Meet someone like this, and go and confront the men???? We tried to help these girls. They could have gone to an organization which helps people in this situation. However, they did not go. They had met boys who said they loved them. The boys use the girls to get money. You can't help someone if someone else is convincing them to do something else.

A lady I met was getting remarried not long after I last saw her. When I go back, I want to make sure the daughter is OK. She probably will be. If things are bad, I would start by talking to the mother. If there is a situation which can't be resolved, I may take the girl to a children's home (orphanage).

You may be able to do a little for a few in these situations.

I know of girls who work as prostitutes to pay for uni. It is sad they are in that situation. If they quit working as prostitutes, they will have to quit uni. What is best for them? Would you tell them they should quit?

Prevention is better than cure. I suggest you get to know some of the really poor people. Then do what you can to help the children get an education. That way they can get a good job. I suggest you get to know a lot of people in this situation, and choose those with a really good attitude to help.

If you want a tough challenge, there are girls being bought and sold in Cambodia. Find out about these and see what you can do. If you intervene in certain situations, I suggest you leave the country and never come back.

Then there is the children kicked out when the parents get remarried. You don't meet them very often.

To find out about these things, you need to speak the language and spend a lot of time with the Cambodian people. You will come across many people in many different situations.

I met an old lady with 2 young daughters who collected bottles and cans. They had a room for $10 per month, and some months could not afford the rent. I introduced the girls to an English school set up for poor people. I think the school organized for the children to go to a children's home (orphanage). The mother went to live in a temple.

Expect to be scammed when you try to help people. They can come up with some very convincing stories. You may then have another independent person tell you the same thing, which leads you to believe it is true. They often work together to scam you. You need to get to know people well, then help those with a good attitude.

When you meet people who just drink beer with their English speaking mates every day. You realize you can live in the came country, but in a different world.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I was in Cambodia recently and met some of the has been 440 psychos that I have know for far too long. A good time was had by all and I count all these people as valued friends who I miss dearly. We have all spent a very long time in Cambodia and share similar views about the past and the present in the Kingdom.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic