Police seized nearly 2,000 bikes in Phnom Penh last weekend.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Police seized nearly 2,000 bikes in Phnom Penh last weekend.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

PHNOM PENH
9 March 2018 : Yesterday, Daun Penh police were stopping drivers who were driving the wrong way around the Independence monument roundabout. Eighteen motorbikes were confiscated and taken away to the police depot.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

driving wrong way :lol: :lol: :lol: half the country motobikes wld be impounded by that definition
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
mrfusion
Tourist
Macau

Post by mrfusion »

Keep up the good work.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

pczz wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:27 pm
John Bingham wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:33 pm When are they planning on taking the rest of the bikes?
Well first they will swap all the good bits for the crap ones on their bikes and then it probably doesnt matter much.
If they put police on 51, 63 and n136 they would get 1000 in a day. Tonight 1 twat in a black merc and a big suv both going wrong way down 136 causing traffic mayhem
Once got a moto dop. He took me down 136. Then another time did the same one night on my own moto. But only then did I know that section of 136 is one way. The give away is the painted arrows on the tarmac facing toward you, and the no entry signs. :facepalm:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

chorlton wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:10 pm :shock: savage but necessary to cut death/injury stats I guess
Uh...death injury by lack of dosh at KNY?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

AndyKK wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:04 pm
pczz wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:27 pm
John Bingham wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:33 pm When are they planning on taking the rest of the bikes?
Well first they will swap all the good bits for the crap ones on their bikes and then it probably doesnt matter much.
If they put police on 51, 63 and n136 they would get 1000 in a day. Tonight 1 twat in a black merc and a big suv both going wrong way down 136 causing traffic mayhem
Once got a moto dop. He took me down 136. Then another time did the same one night on my own moto. But only then did I know that section of 136 is one way. The give away is the painted arrows on the tarmac facing toward you, and the no entry signs. :facepalm:
I noticed that in about 2006 when me and a friend got chased by a proper police bike for turning out of 136 onto Norodom.
He had a siren and lights and everything, he pulled up alongside of us saying "pull over-pull over".
We didn't stop. It was very funny and strange. We lost him at the Wat Phnom "roundabout".
Silence, exile, and cunning.
KickingWithRedLabel
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by KickingWithRedLabel »

Do they seize all bikes pulled over or just when the drivers can not pay the on the spot fee?
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

23 March 2018
PHNOM PENH - On the orders of the Daun Penh authorities, police set up a day and night check point at the Independence roundabout on the 23 March. They netted seven vehicles which were driving in the wrong direction, 6 motorbikes and 1 tuk tuk, which were taken to the police station in order to educate the drivers.
If only seven vehicles were confiscated for driving the wrong way around Independence monument, it seems likely that police were seizing only the non-payers.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic