Possible to get TEFL or CELTA certification in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
KHarding
Expatriate

Possible to get TEFL or CELTA certification in Phnom Penh?

Post by KHarding »

Hi all,

Hoping to possibly secure a well paying ($10-20/hr), part time job teaching English. I am an American born citizen with a BA degree but no "qualifications" other than that to teach English. I just applied for a job that requires CELTA or an equivalent certification (I'm guessing that means TESL) already or in the near future, so I am hoping I can get certified quickly somewhere here in Phnom Penh. Does anyone know where to get certified? What does the certification cost? How long does it take? Thanks so much for your help!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Possible to get TESL or CELTA certification in PP??

Post by General Mackevili »

KHarding wrote:Hi all,

Hoping to possibly secure a well paying ($10-20/hr), part time job teaching English. I am an American born citizen with a BA degree but no "qualifications" other than that to teach English. I just applied for a job that requires CELTA or an equivalent certification (I'm guessing that means TESL) already or in the near future, so I am hoping I can get certified quickly somewhere here in Phnom Penh. Does anyone know where to get certified? What does the certification cost? How long does it take? Thanks so much for your help!
Hey there!

Can't get a CELTA in Cambodia, but can grab one in Thailand or Vietnam in several locations.

You're best bet, if it has to be in Phnom Penh, is to go with LanguageCorp.

They will give you a TEFL or TESL cert. Should cost under $2,000.

Let us know what you end up with!
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Francis »

A buddy of mine did the TEFL online. Just took 10 days or so and was around $ 400 if I remember correctly.
Und der Haifisch der hat Tränen
Und die laufen vom Gesicht
Doch der Haifisch lebt im Wasser
So die Tränen sieht man nicht

In der Tiefe ist es einsam
Und so manche Träne fliesst
Und so kommt es dass das Wasser
In den Meeren salzig ist
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

You can usually get the online course on Groupon or Living Social for $59. Teflexpress UK. If it's not on deal now, it will be next month probably.
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

I still teach at night and a local University. They offend me a course every Saturday morning for 3 sometimes 4 hours to get a TEFL. It was nice and the school provided the service for me.

Dont bother applying for a CELTA job when you dont have it. I'm assuming its ACE.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Francis »

The Add Jay wrote:CELTA job when you dont have it. I'm assuming its ACE.
Also, I think that KHarding is an American national. ACE is NOT known for hiring US citizens. Australians and sometimes English only.
Und der Haifisch der hat Tränen
Und die laufen vom Gesicht
Doch der Haifisch lebt im Wasser
So die Tränen sieht man nicht

In der Tiefe ist es einsam
Und so manche Träne fliesst
Und so kommt es dass das Wasser
In den Meeren salzig ist
KHarding
Expatriate

Post by KHarding »

The Add Jay wrote:I still teach at night and a local University. They offend me a course every Saturday morning for 3 sometimes 4 hours to get a TEFL. It was nice and the school provided the service for me.

Dont bother applying for a CELTA job when you dont have it. I'm assuming its ACE.
Can I ask where you work and if they're hiring? ;)

The place I applied is not ACE (not sure what that is), it is called GET and it is an Australian language school I believe. Since they asked that one be CELTA or equivalently certified or "willing to be in the near future" and the position starts next week, I am guessing they know you cannot obtain CELTA in PP and will be fine with TEFL or TESOL. I am hoping they'll be able to recommend what and where they'd like me to get it. Honestly, I cannot fork out $2,000 right now, but I am not sure an online cert will be enough either.

Thanks for all the help though everyone!
KHarding
Expatriate

Post by KHarding »

General Mackevili wrote:
KHarding wrote: You're best bet, if it has to be in Phnom Penh, is to go with LanguageCorp.

They will give you a TEFL or TESL cert. Should cost under $2,000.

Let us know what you end up with!
Thanks for the tip! I just looked into it though and LanguageCorps is not exactly what I am looking for. I already am living in PP and am getting established on my own. Their program looks quite pricey and I think it is because it includes a lot of non necessities like trips to Siem Riep and Sihanoukville during the training.

I guess I am more wondering which institutions offering TESL/TEFOL in PP are reputable and worth the money? I have seen prices ranging from $299-$995 and it's hard to decipher what the differences in courses/certs are. I would definitely be interested in doing it online, but I am not sure if they are very reputable either.
Last edited by KHarding on Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KHarding
Expatriate

Post by KHarding »

Francis wrote:A buddy of mine did the TEFL online. Just took 10 days or so and was around $ 400 if I remember correctly.
Would you be able to find out and let me know what online outfitter he got his through? Also, has he had any problem finding a non-sketchy English teaching job with it here in PP? I ask because I know I can get a job somewhere probably pretty easy being young, attractive, female and American, but I am wary of working for a completely corrupt school... Please excuse my ignorance if that is completely off based of me to say, I am still learning my way around. I would like to work for someone somewhat reputable where the work atmosphere will be good.

Thanks so much!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Francis wrote:A buddy of mine did the TEFL online. Just took 10 days or so and was around $ 400 if I remember correctly.
True, but the place the OP is asking about needs to be a "CELTA equivalent."

That generally means it can't be online and needs to be about 120 hours.
Francis wrote:ACE is NOT known for hiring US citizens. Australians and sometimes English only.
Not true these days. Numerous Americans working there. They love us. :Yahoo!:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic