Help..US banks closing accounts of people living outside the US

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Help..US banks closing accounts of people living outside the US

Post by beaker »

The banks in the US (bank of america) are now starting to close bank accounts of people living outside the US.
So ... now I need to somehow get my SS sent to a Cambodian bank account.
Does anyone do this now ?
What banks in KOW accept direct deposit ?
Is there any other way to get checks ?
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
xxxxxxx
Expatriate

Re: Help..US banks closing accounts of people living outside the US

Post by xxxxxxx »

Have you looked into online banking providers like Charles Schwab or ETrade? Schwab has zero-foreign-currency-transaction-fee international ATM cards. Really nice. I'm sure there are man many others to choose from. You can electronically transfer your money from BOA to them.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Interesting, I wonder what the logic behind this is? Punishing people who dare to choose elsewhere?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

MY ss direct deposit goes into my US citibank account, have only lived in the states for 16 months in past 34 years
IF u go back you can open a Charles Schwab account and thna use there free atm withdrawals but u can to pen outside the states,
Do u have a us address?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:26 am MY ss direct deposit goes into my US citibank account, have only lived in the states for 16 months in past 34 years
IF u go back you can open a Charles Schwab account and thna use there free atm withdrawals but u can to pen outside the states,
Do u have a us address?
I've been using my brother's address but I've been out of the country for too long now they want me to show photo id with the address or they will close the account.
I've been using my Bank of America Visa Debit card to get my SS payments.

Does anyone use the Direct Express® Debit Card from Social Security to receive their direct deposit SS retirement ?
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
soup
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by soup »

beaker wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:38 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:26 am MY ss direct deposit goes into my US citibank account, have only lived in the states for 16 months in past 34 years
Do u have a us address?
I've been using my brother's address but I've been out of the country for too long now they want me to show photo id with the address or they will close the account.
I've been using my Bank of America Visa Debit card to get my SS payments.

Does anyone use the Direct Express® Debit Card from Social Security to receive their direct deposit SS retirement ?
Is this for a Charles Schwab account? I'm about to open one online and it would be good to be prepared for this.

There is an application for opening one outside the states. I ask the guy in a chat and he said they would send your card to an alternate address. Hope the pic Id is not a stumbling block.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i applied for a cs account online, got thru the whole application, even deposited $$ into my account and than got the atm card,
Than they told me they checked my ip address and saw i was applying form outside the us ( i had a us address where they sent the card)
they cancelled the account.
Told me if i came back to the states an verified i was living there, they would reopen it. That was 2 years ago, haven't been back
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Surely this would initiate an exodus of capital from Murika?

richard, why didn't you use a VPN?
soup
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by soup »

This. I'm going to use a VPN along with my mail drop. Hope it works.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

didn't use a vpn cause i didn't know i couldn't be outside the states to sign up.
U NEED a US address, the VPN needs be the same area as ur address, so be aware.

from CS
"Yes, please send a copy of your passport and Ca driver's license. We will then review, and let you know if anything else is needed, and or on how to proceed. "
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic