Help..US banks closing accounts of people living outside the US

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Help..US banks closing accounts of people living outside the US

Post by beaker »

Does anyone use the Direct Express® Debit Card, from US government, to receive their direct deposit SS retirement ?
No bank account needed.
Apply from foreign country over the phone is OK.
Living outside the US is not a problem.
www.USDirectExpress.com
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

beaker wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:45 am Does anyone use the Direct Express® Debit Card, from US government, to receive their direct deposit SS retirement ?
No bank account needed.
www.USDirectExpress.com
Yeah, I tried it. The voice on the other end of the phone must have been a Manpower temp worker with a 5th grade education. Most infuriating of all she had no idea which bank would receive my check nor how I would get my debit card sent to me.
An email address would be more efficient and not require a hold time of over an hour on the phone.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

taabarang wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:17 am
beaker wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:45 am Does anyone use the Direct Express® Debit Card, from US government, to receive their direct deposit SS retirement ?
No bank account needed.
www.USDirectExpress.com
Yeah, I tried it. The voice on the other end of the phone must have been a Manpower temp worker with a 5th grade education. Most infuriating of all she had no idea which bank would receive my check nor how I would get my debit card sent to me.
An email address would be more efficient and not require a hold time of over an hour on the phone.
What did you end up doing to receive SS check ?
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"What did you end up doing to receive SS check ?"

In a word accountI got lucky. At first I opened an account at ACLEDA where I was quite happy with the service. Then one fateful day after 5-6 months I was told they no loner accepted them since there was too much US paperwork involved.

Then I hit the streets of PP and Kampong Cham where I queried at a multitude of banks only to be told "no". by a smiling bank
teller.

Finally Cambodia Public Bank agreed. The paperwork wasn't overwhelming, but I have to wait 6 weeks for the check(which I pick up at the US Embassy) to be deposited in my Cambodian account.

I only know that CPB sends the check back to The States, but I've no idea about the paper trail, however the check does get stepped on to the tune of $20.

This is all the info at my disposal. Oh, I've had the account for approx 10 years now.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

taabarang wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:34 pm "What did you end up doing to receive SS check ?"

In a word accountI got lucky. At first I opened an account at ACLEDA where I was quite happy with the service. Then one fateful day after 5-6 months I was told they no loner accepted them since there was too much US paperwork involved.

Then I hit the streets of PP and Kampong Cham where I queried at a multitude of banks only to be told "no". by a smiling bank
teller.

Finally Cambodia Public Bank agreed. The paperwork wasn't overwhelming, but I have to wait 6 weeks for the check(which I pick up at the US Embassy) to be deposited in my Cambodian account.

I only know that CPB sends the check back to The States, but I've no idea about the paper trail, however the check does get stepped on to the tune of $20.

This is all the info at my disposal. Oh, I've had the account for approx 10 years now.
OK thanks that's a big help and eases my mind a bit to know that it is at least possible.

I remember when we had to go to the embassy every month to sign in and then about 4 years ago they said that everyone needed to have direct deposit and that the embassy would not be handing out checks. Is that not the case ? Are they still handing out SS checks ?
Do you speak fluent khmer or does the bank have someone who can speak english who knows what SS is or did you just take in a check to show them ?
jimi hendrix
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

beaker I'll try again later. I just lost a long answer to your questions.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

taabarang wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:25 pm beaker I'll try again later. I just lost a long answer to your questions.
OK, thanks anyway I have done that before too.
I sometimes I write something in Notes or a Word Processor then copy and paste it on to the forum
it's nice of you to help me out
jimi hendrix
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Does anyone use this to receive their SS direct deposits ;

American Citizens Abroad (ACA) has teamed up with the State Department Federal Credit Union (SDFCU) to provide accounts for Americans residing abroad.

Access to State-side banking services! Even if you don’t have a residence or address in the US, you can have a US account, called a ACA-Members/SDFCU account. This is a US account with the State Department Federal Credit Union. Free checking accounts, savings accounts, IRA accounts, and a wide range of banking services are available, all online. Based on individual circumstances, these can include dollar-based credit and debit cards, lines of credit, loans, IRA accounts, and much more through ACA members-only access

Seems so perfect no difficult requirements for ACA membership, just be US citizen and pay $55./year. Then you can open an account that they will send Visa ATM card to the country where you reside. No need to maintain US address etc.

more info here ACA; https://www.americansabroad.org/ -and here SDFCU ; http://www.sdfcu.org/
jimi hendrix
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

This could happen to you too. Here is why;

The enactment of recent tax evasion legislation; the FATCA legislation, the increased enforcement of FBAR, the Patriot Act, and foreign government tax legislation such as the European Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive (AIFMD), has in some cases, resulted in the denial and/or closure of both retail and investment financial accounts for Americans resident overseas.
Executive summary

Some Foreign Financial Institution (FFIs), as a reaction to FATCA and FBAR compliance (given fear of penalty application) are denying and closing accounts for US citizen clients. The Patriot Act, which recommends application of stricter guidance for banks “Know Your Client” requirements, is also having an effect on US citizen’s ability to maintain financial accounts State-side when they are no longer resident in the United States. Foreign legislation such as the European, Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive (AIFMD), which does not allow some US mutual funds (IRAs) to be sold or managed for US clients resident outside the United States, is also complicating the situation.

ACA, Inc. advocates a Same Country Exception to alleviate the problem of “lock-out” whereby some Foreign Financial Institutions (FFIs) refuse to do business with Americans because of FATCA reporting. Same Country Exception would exclude the reporting of accounts owned by Americans abroad where the account is with a Foreign Financial Institution in the same country where the individual is a bona-fide resident. This would alleviate the filing burden for FATCA on Americans as well as, the identification and disclosure of these accounts by the Foreign Financial Institution.

US citizens with foreign bank accounts have two financial account tax filing requirements, IRS Form 8938 (instituted by the FATCA legislation) and Treasury Department Form FINCen-114, the Foreign Bank Account Report, commonly called the FBAR. ACA advocates for the simplification of the reporting; reducing as much as possible the burden of double reporting of information in order to achieve legislative goals.

ACA, Inc. also advocates for easing Patriot Act guidance to facilitate State-side banking access for Americans abroad. Americans living abroad still need to maintain financial investments, property and an active credit records in the United States for many reasons including, the cashing of Social Security check, repatriation and retirement.
jimi hendrix
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

have never filed irs 8938 or have i FBAR ( u dont need to unless you have over $10,000 in ALL ur overseas accounts).
Never had any trouble getting my direct deposits into my Citibank account. what i thna do is leave it for a year or so than wire money to my thai bank
this cuts out atm fees and many wire fees( ciitbank charges me $25/wire)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic