What is the best and cheapest sim card?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
soup
Expatriate
Andorra

What is the best and cheapest sim card?

Post by soup »

I have a Smart sim card and the service sucks, not to mention a dollar last me all of 2 days with all of the sms's I get from them. I'm done with them. Smart is stupid!

Anybody got the low down on the best and cheapest sim service?

I live in PP if that matters.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: What is the best and cheapest sim card?

Post by that genius »

I have Metfone and Cellcard, both do what I want them to do
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I have no problem with Smart, Power +1 plan, $1/week for a bunch of on-net SMS/calls and a gig of data. It's calls to other networks that chew up your credit which is why many locals use dual SIM phones.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

I get a week for my dollar with smart.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

soup wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:26 am I have a Smart sim card and the service sucks, not to mention a dollar last me all of 2 days with all of the sms's I get from them. I'm done with them. Smart is stupid!

It flip flops on speed. Smart used to be faster, then metfone, then cellcard. not sure about now. I tried smart and the customer service sucked. Reception was better out of town. Settled on metfone now. Have no trouble getting things sorted in the shop, its fast and reliable and dirt cheap to call most countries. If you are out of town it depends on the masts. each network has blank spots. Khmer say cellcard is fastest for data now in PP
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

I use Cellcard. Data is good and fast as well as relatively cheap on calls. It depends who you call and what service they use.
Its like using an ATM, if you use your own bank no charge but cost more if using another banks ATM.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

soup wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:26 am I have a Smart sim card and the service sucks, not to mention a dollar last me all of 2 days with all of the sms's I get from them. I'm done with them. Smart is stupid!

Smart is very smart. They charge you loads. Are you still using the free SIM you got on arrival? Those sims use a special 'tourist pricing scheme' and are not eligible for all the promotions like exchanges, bonuses etc etc. You save 1 USD on arrival getting those, and pay tens or hundreds of dollars more over time.

Next: consider the provider most of your friends use. Calling / texting (anyone still uses that?) within the network is very cheap, inter-network calls are very expensive. So you might ant to choose the provider most of your friends use.

If you use internet, maybe Metfone is the cheapest. Currently I am using their 1 USD to 150 USD exchange service, and changing 2 USD every two weeks provides me with virtually unlimited internet. I don't know ho many GB I can download for that, but I think it's about 7.2 GB. Enough for me....
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:08 am I have no problem with Smart, Power +1 plan, $1/week for a bunch of on-net SMS/calls and a gig of data. It's calls to other networks that chew up your credit which is why many locals use dual SIM phones.
Exactly right, I used to run both metphone and smart, but junked metphone a while back and just use Smart. The people I call/call me are on smart and it costs relatively little for long calls. I think it gets more expensive after 6 pm, a $1 usually lasts me about a week. The sim is/was $1 but can be more if it comes with call time.
Jasper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Jasper »

I pay $8 a month for 80GB of LTE with Cellcard.

Free calls and texts to other Cellcard numbers, and cheap to other networks (the guy in the shop gave me a list of prefix numbers so I can tell the difference), although I don’t use that side of it much as all my mates are on WhatsApp so I use that.

I’ve blocked their numbers so I don’t get any marketing calls or texts!
Milk was a bad choice
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

$8 for 40gb with smart/month. Free calls and texts on the same network, outside of network is very cheap as well. International calls are 5 cents per minute I believe.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic