Registering Moto - New Rule

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Registering Moto - New Rule

Post by epidemiks »

beaker wrote:
I thought they ended the annual road tax for motos a couple of years back ?
I thought they only got rid of it for little bikes? Maybe you're right.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

GTC7 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:34 pm I had my scooter confiscated a few months ago because I was not on the owner card, and the police wont return it for the same reason.

Not saying most wont have problems, but things are changing around here and paying a small slap on the wrist and being carefree isn't always the way it's done anymore.
That is bad news. So I wonder if all unregistered and bikes without plates will end up the same.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
GTC7
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by GTC7 »

My scooter was registered, only in a different name. It had a genuine plate, and I had the sales receipt and a copy of the contract with thumbprints on it from the previous owner.
fatuousdrivel
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by fatuousdrivel »

So assuming whoever it is registered to can go and retrieve it?
GTC7
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by GTC7 »

Right, but given that it's been 4 years since I purchased it and that I don't have the previous owner's phone or contact info, I have no way of getting my bike back.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

GTC7 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:12 am I have no way of getting my bike back.
Even with a fee?
GTC7
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by GTC7 »

Two franklins under the table wasn't enough, and my bike isn't worth much more than that.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

GTC7 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:34 pm I had my scooter confiscated a few months ago because I was not on the owner card
That's odd...I'm sure Khmer families share a moto that is registered to only one of them.

Or what if an expat is tooling around on his Khmer wife's Scoopy and the police stop him?

We can only ride motos where we have our own name on the registration card for that moto?

That's asinine
fatuousdrivel
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by fatuousdrivel »

Brody wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:47 pm
GTC7 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:34 pm I had my scooter confiscated a few months ago because I was not on the owner card
That's odd...I'm sure Khmer families share a moto that is registered to only one of them.

Or what if an expat is tooling around on his Khmer wife's Scoopy and the police stop him?

We can only ride motos where we have our own name on the registration card for that moto?

That's asinine
In those situations the owner (family, wife etc) would simply pick it up.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

fatuousdrivel wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:51 pm In those situations the owner (family, wife etc) would simply pick it up.
I understand that, but what a pain in the ass. What if your wife is in Chbbar Ampouv and you get stopped way out at Aeon 2.

I'd be that 80% of moto drivers on the road right now are operating motos that do not have their name on the registration and maybe another high percentage that don't drive with the original registration card in their possession at all.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic