Registering Moto - New Rule

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Registering Moto - New Rule

Post by epidemiks »

pczz wrote:
epidemiks wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:06 am
pczz wrote:
epidemiks wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:56 pm The reality is very few people ever change bike registration into their name. I've never met a Khmer that has done it.

Has anyone seen the new law?

In 2016 they changed the law - for cars, but possibly motos too - that the registration had to be changed to a new owner within 90 days.
contradicted in the OP. Thinking about this I can see a sensible reason other than just messing our lives up. they wantto get rid of the older, more polluting vehicles but they do not want to cut tax. this way they pretty much force the barang to buy a newish vehicleand then sell it on for cheap to a Khmer when they leave. Also if a foreigner buys a new car its foreign money leaving Cambodia, but if a Cambodian buys one its Cambodian money leaving the country. Watch for western style lease arrangement for foreigners coming to a car shop near you
What's contradicted?
in op it says "This being said, there is no current law that states you must be the registered owner of the vehicle you are driving."
in the quote it says "In 2016 they changed the law - for cars, but possibly motos too - that the registration had to be changed to a new owner within 90 days"
so is the law you have to change the name in 90 days, or is theere no law requireing you to register the vehicle to the new owner
If you purchase a vehicle you are obliged to change the registration into you name within 90 days. That's the law.

Article 48

All motor vehicle dealers shall be obliged to complete all the required applications for vehicle registration, identification card and number pate before handing over the vehicles to the end purchasers.

All sales or donation of motor vehicles and other forms of exchange that result in change of the vehicle ownership shall apply for ownership transfer within 90 days of the date when such transaction occurred.

All vehicle owners shall be obliged to complete their applications to remove from the lists their vehicles, which have ceased to be used.

Application and procedures for vehicle registration, identification, ownership transfer and removal from the vehicle list shall be defined by the Ministry of Public Works and Transport.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

I bought an imported car four months ago and recieved a registration plate and card in my name no problems

Last week I bought a new bike and it wasnt that easy - after 3 days the bike dealerships service manager knew some relative with clout in the police and I now have rego and plate in my name

Both have my address as fook knows where

So it can be done - a few months ago a friend bought 2 new bikes and had the problem described so his gf bought the bikes but he then went to a police station and got the bike transferred to his name
darayd
Expatriate
Australia

Post by darayd »

Disappointing, guess this means foreigners won't be able to take a bike into Thailand or similar temporarily as you need to be the registered owner
jbk28
Tourist
United States of America

Post by jbk28 »

I am moving to PP in August. I have asked on various forums about purchasing and registering a motorcycle and have gotten all kinds of different answers from, "It's easy, no problem" to "Foreigners are not allowed to legally purchase and register motos, period!" If anybody REALLY knows the current Cambodian law around this topic (I have searched but can find no English language translation of Cambodian transportation laws) and is willing to enlighten me I would appreciate it.

One option I do have is to import an almost new (2017 500km) Bajaj 220 which I have here in India. People have said that importing your own motorcycle IS one of the ways (maybe the only way??) for a foreigner to legally register a bike larger than 125 cc. I know I will be hit with a 45% import duty but the bike was only $1500USD new so, unless they also tax the cost of shipping (another question I have!), that might still be cheaper than trying to buy a new 220 cc bike in PP. Once again, if anyone knows about this or can point me towards where I can find a definitive answer I would really appreciate it!
Dog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Dog »

Nobody in.their right mind would import a 2nd hand Bajaj. They sell them new in PP and not very expensive.
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

I was wanting to buy a 2nd hand PCX. I suppose that's not possible now unless I put it in a Cambodian's name. That's never going to happen. Damn. Anyone know any loopholes?
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Heng Heng Heng wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:30 am I was wanting to buy a 2nd hand PCX. I suppose that's not possible now unless I put it in a Cambodian's name. That's never going to happen. Damn. Anyone know any loopholes?
Just buy it and make sure it has license owners card with motor, frame and license plate numbers matching. Make a copy of the original card at printers or on your phone then just drive and enjoy.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

What would one [ khmer ] do if the number plate was stolen from his motobike and he had the card , but still in the previous owners name ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Duncan wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:11 pm What would one [ khmer ] do if the number plate was stolen from his motobike and he had the card , but still in the previous owners name ?
A Khmer would just go to the hardware store and by a piece of tin and make a new plate
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

beaker wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:33 pm
Duncan wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:11 pm What would one [ khmer ] do if the number plate was stolen from his motobike and he had the card , but still in the previous owners name ?
A Khmer would just go to the hardware store and by a piece of tin and make a new plate

Silly me.

Next question. If that moto was my most valuable possession and it being a fully restored moto but it had the plates stolen ,,, how would I go about getting new plates.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic