International Chess Player Passing thru Phnom Penh

This is our job board for expats. Until ZipRecruiter and Indeed make their way to the Kingdom of Wonder, this is the best place to look for employment in Cambodia, whether you're looking to teach English, manage a 5-star hotel, volunteer, or even work for some of the big NGOs. Even digital nomads who move to Cambodia sometimes need a side gig as a TEFL instructor from time to time. Most professional expatriate jobs are in Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap and Kampot are emerging as attractive alternatives. If you're an employer or hiring manager, you're also welcome to post your job listing here for free.
Orsh
Tourist
Israel

International Chess Player Passing thru Phnom Penh

Post by Orsh »

Hello,
My name is Ilya Orsher. I was educated from the St. Petersburgh chess academy in Russia and was a strong tournament player in USA and Europe until my early 20s.
Most recently Ive been perfecting my street chess game in Harvard Square MA, Union Square NY and other informal chess gathering places.
Currently I am staying in Phnom Penh and am offering private chess lessons. I have a lot of experience in teaching children chess. Once a child is inspired, chess can fill many hours and structure the thinking processes. So, if you want a serious chess babysitter while you have a night out in town or whether you are looking for some classes to raise your game please contact me at [email protected]. My rates are very reasonable.
I also play blitz at various locations around town so i can meet anywhere.
all the best,
chyezz!!
Khartoum
Expatriate
Sudan

Re: International Chess Player Passing thru Phnom Penh

Post by Khartoum »

Orsh wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:09 pm I have a lot of experience in teaching children chess... if you want a serious chess babysitter while you have a night out in town
Why would you expect someone to leave their child in the company of a stranger, while they went out to town? Check.
Orsh
Tourist
Israel

Post by Orsh »

Really??!
I am offering chess lessons, to people who may be interested.
I guess i shouldnt be surprised by strange insinuations,
but, no this isnt normal thinking, even in Cambodia.
By this logic how do you cross the street or eat food somewhere?
Parents usually want their children to study chess as it helps the child form a logical mind
and an ability to reason. I offer lessons to anyone and parents dont need to leave their
child with me, they can sit in on the lesson if they want.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Orsh wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:09 pm Hello,
My name is Ilya Orsher. I was educated from the St. Petersburgh chess academy in Russia and was a strong tournament player in USA and Europe until my early 20s.
Most recently Ive been perfecting my street chess game in Harvard Square MA, Union Square NY and other informal chess gathering places.
Currently I am staying in Phnom Penh and am offering private chess lessons. I have a lot of experience in teaching children chess. Once a child is inspired, chess can fill many hours and structure the thinking processes. So, if you want a serious chess babysitter while you have a night out in town or whether you are looking for some classes to raise your game please contact me at [email protected]. My rates are very reasonable.
I also play blitz at various locations around town so i can meet anywhere.
all the best,
chyezz!!
Hi Ilya,

It sounds like a good service that no one else in Cambodia is offering.

Are you Russian or Israeli?
Orsh
Tourist
Israel

Post by Orsh »

I was born into a jewish/slav family from St. Petersburgh, Russia, where chess literacy is as second nature as is reading. I grew up in Boston, USA and my grandparents are currently living in Tel-Aviv.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

You say your rates are reasonable, and I'm sure you would not lie.

Could you perhaps give us an example?

1 hour, beginner level/ How much?
Orsh
Tourist
Israel

Post by Orsh »

The dharmic way to charge for services rendered seems to be that you charge a higher amount from wealthy people, a modest amount from regular people and you keep yourself accessible for the impoverished free of charge. If you just give knowledge and time away free to everyone not only do you get shunned by the others in your line of work but also the student values it less and its hard to keep fully motivated as a teacher because humans arent perfect no matter how the scriptures entreat us. For Cambodia, a more or less reasonable fee for regular people would be around 20 dollars for 75-90 minutes. Keeping in mind that a very bad cup of coffee in PP goes for 2 dollars and someone with my credentials charges 80-100 for an hour in the states this is a type of "introductory offer" to see if there is any interest at all in the classically european game of chess here in the fringes of civilization.
anyways , for all the impoverished backpackers, im still staying on 176th street for at least 3 more weeks so beers and blitz anytime after dark if you arrange it. ;P
otherwise ill continue to bar crawl with my pretty russian gf until my rent is finished and i can split.
pardon the blogging

tl;dr whatever you wanna pay you savvy consumer
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

The dharmic way to charge for services rendered seems to be that you charge a higher amount from wealthy people, a modest amount from regular people and you keep yourself accessible for the impoverished free of charge. If you just give knowledge and time away free to everyone not only do you get shunned by the others in your line of work but also the student values it less and its hard to keep fully motivated as a teacher because humans arent perfect no matter how the scriptures entreat us. For Cambodia, a more or less reasonable fee for regular people would be around 20 dollars for 75-90 minutes. Keeping in mind that a very bad cup of coffee in PP goes for 2 dollars and someone with my credentials charges 80-100 for an hour in the states this is a type of "introductory offer" to see if there is any interest at all in the classically european game of chess here in the fringes of civilization.
anyways , for all the impoverished backpackers, im still staying on 176th street for at least 3 more weeks so beers and blitz anytime after dark if you arrange it. ;P
otherwise ill continue to bar crawl with my pretty russian gf until my rent is finished and i can split.
pardon the blogging
Jeez, he only asked how much, not for you to recite War & Peace... :)
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Orsh, if you go for a wander around, you might find some locals playing this game.

Orsh
Tourist
Israel

Post by Orsh »

yeah they play some type of games here also. chess got standardized in the western world in mid 1800's during the reign of Paul Morphy. As for the wall posting, i must be bored like the rest of you guys on here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic