Car title/registration in Cambodia from Thailand

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
kocdim
Expatriate
Fiji

Car title/registration in Cambodia from Thailand

Post by kocdim »

I was just wondering if I bought the car in Thailand, whats the procedure for me to legally transfer the title/registration to Cambodia? I dont know if this is proper statement but the point is how can I legally own car in Cambodia bought in Thailand?
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Car title/registration in Cambodia from Thailand

Post by epidemiks »

kocdim wrote:I was just wondering if I bought the car in Thailand, whats the procedure for me to legally transfer the title/registration to Cambodia? I dont know if this is proper statement but the point is how can I legally own car in Cambodia bought in Thailand?
AFAIK it's no longer possible to import right hand drive cars. If you can, you would have to pay upwards of 130% import tax, then register the car.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

as above an the tax's would double the price of the car
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
kocdim
Expatriate
Fiji

Post by kocdim »

Ok lets say I try to import left side car from Vietnam or Europe, how much taxes I will need to expect to pay? And can I register on my name?
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

kocdim wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:14 am Ok lets say I try to import left side car from Vietnam or Europe, how much taxes I will need to expect to pay? And can I register on my name?
At least 130%, based on engine capacity and the tax department's assessment of taxable value (regardless of what you paid for it).

Yes you can register it in your name once import taxes are paid.

Using an out of date tax table. I don't have the latest rates:

2011 2,000cc car
Taxable value: 15,000
Tax: 115% + 32.5% = 147.5%
Total import tax: $22,125

Total cost to buy, import, and get it on the road, assuming you actually paid 15,000 for the car = $37,325

This is an old tax table for reference.

pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

epidemiks wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:05 am
kocdim wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:14 am Ok lets say I try to import left side car from Vietnam or Europe, how much taxes I will need to expect to pay? And can I register on my name?
At least 130%, based on engine capacity and the tax department's assessment of taxable value (regardless of what you paid for it).

Yes you can register it in your name once import taxes are paid.

Using an out of date tax table. I don't have the latest rates:

2011 2,000cc car
Taxable value: 15,000
Tax: 115% + 32.5% = 147.5%
Total import tax: $22,125

Total cost to buy, import, and get it on the road, assuming you actually paid 15,000 for the car = $37,325

This is an old tax table for reference.

There used to be an extra 20% fee if you imported the vehicle yourself. Do not know if it still applies. Someone I met claimed he got permission from ministry of tourism to import his own vehicle tax free. He got a BMW motorcycle in from the states. Not sure if he is in the forums but he is a bee farmer about 40 km north of Oudong mountain I think
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Just brought a motor bike new and couldn't register it in my name, I needed a Cambodian ID card to register in my name so had to put it in girlfriends name???. I presume same thing for cars
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

atst wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:57 pm Just brought a motor bike new and couldn't register it in my name, I needed a Cambodian ID card to register in my name so had to put it in girlfriends name???. I presume same thing for cars
A recent law change made it so foreigners can't register used motos in their name, but new ones should be possible. No change to cars afaik. topic17560.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic