Poipet factory workers block road, protesting against inhumane (Chinese) conditions

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Poipet factory workers block road, protesting against inhumane (Chinese) conditions

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

30 December 2017
POIPET - Poipet factory workers who protested against stringent factory rules on Friday, got back on the barricades on Saturday, blocking traffic on National Highway 5. Seven workers were laid off after complaining about factory working conditions. The workers demands are principally concerned with sick leave, maternity leave, and the docking of workers' pay for various reasons.
To sum up the demands:
9. Do not let the Chinese cheat workers (do not bring Chinese rules to Cambodia)
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Poipet factory workers block road, protesting against inhumane (Chinese) conditions

Post by Arget »

This is only the beginning. The Chinese look down on the Khmer people and will/ do treat them as subservient minions. They will "Love" HE for delivering them to China
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Poipet factory workers block road, protesting against inhumane (Chinese) conditions

Post by Abc123 »

Arget wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:47 pm This is only the beginning. The Chinese look down on the Khmer people and will/ do treat them as subservient minions. They will "Love" HE for delivering them to China
Seeing as he's half Chinese, I expect he's one of the ones you're talking about. It's as true of the Sino Khmer as it is of the pure bred Chinese. Edit: to a degree.
Last edited by Abc123 on Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
username
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by username »

Abc123 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:09 pm
Arget wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:47 pm This is only the beginning. The Chinese look down on the Khmer people and will/ do treat them as subservient minions. They will "Love" HE for delivering them to China
Seeing as he's half Chinese, I expect he's one of the ones you're talking about. It's as true of the Sino Khmer as it is of the pure bred Chinese.
Is he? I thought only his wife was.
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Abc123 »

username wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:12 pm
Seeing as he's half Chinese, I expect he's one of the ones you're talking about. It's as true of the Sino Khmer as it is of the pure bred Chinese.
She's supposed to be Vietnamese. But we all know what that means in Cambodia. I think she's third generation Vietnamese. Her great grandparents came over iirc. She was born in Cambodia, which makes the recent deportations even more henious in my book.
username
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by username »

Abc123 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:40 pm
She's supposed to be Vietnamese. But we all know what that means in Cambodia. I think she's third generation Vietnamese. Her great grandparents came over iirc. She was born in Cambodia, which makes the recent deportations even more henious in my book.
Where did you get that from?

I don't know how good of a source it is, but the book Strongman: The Extraordinary Life of HE by Harish C and Julie B. Mehta reads as following about Bun Rany:
“The district of Kroch Chhmar was a fairly prosperous one, with most farmers, like Bun Rany’s father Lynn Kry, living comfortably off the yields of the fertile land. Here she grew up along with her two brothers and three sisters. The Chinese-Khmer family traced its ancestry to Canton in China, and had integrated smoothly into Cambodian society.

Edit: I find sources claiming that also HE's ancestors were Teochew Chinese. I didn't know that, although I don't know how much you should read into it. We all come from somewhere else, if you go far enough back.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Unfortunately, this is the sort of gossip that circulates on FB. (So-and-so is really Vietnamese/Chinese ie; not really Cambodian.)
I have heard so many times that HE's wife is (supposedly) Vietnamese, and that is not meant as a compliment.
AFAIK, this is purely rumour. Is there a solid source ? And does it really matter whether someone's grandparents belonged to an ethnic minority ?

As expats, we should know better than to judge people from their ethnic heritage. After all, most of us are a bunch of mixed race mongrels - and proud of it.
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Abc123 »

username wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:37 pm
Where did you get that from?

I don't know how good of a source it is, but the book Strongman: The Extraordinary Life of HE by Harish C and Julie B. Mehta reads as following about Bun Rany:
“The district of Kroch Chhmar was a fairly prosperous one, with most farmers, like Bun Rany’s father Lynn Kry, living comfortably off the yields of the fertile land. Here she grew up along with her two brothers and three sisters. The Chinese-Khmer family traced its ancestry to Canton in China, and had integrated smoothly into Cambodian society.
I thought that book. :oops: Bingham will know for sure no doubt. Is it also in Strangio's book?
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Abc123 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:51 pm
Unfortunately, this is the sort of gossip that circulates on FB. (So-and-so is really Vietnamese/Chinese ie; not really Cambodian.)
I have heard so many times that HE's wife is (supposedly) Vietnamese, and that is not meant as a compliment.
AFAIK, this is purely rumour. Is there a solid source ? And does it really matter whether someone's grandparents belonged to an ethnic minority ?

As expats, we should know better than to judge people from their ethnic heritage. After all, most of us are a bunch of mixed race mongrels - and proud of it.
You're a bit of a selective reader. I think you missed this bit:
She was born in Cambodia, which makes the recent deportations even more henious in my book
username
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by username »

Abc123 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:54 pm I thought that book. :oops: Bingham will know for sure no doubt. Is it also in Strangio's book?
As far as I know, Strangio's book doesn't mention their ancestry, except for hinting a strong Sino-Khmer presence in the elite.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic