Poipet factory workers block road, protesting against inhumane (Chinese) conditions

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Poipet factory workers block road, protesting against inhumane (Chinese) conditions

Post by Anchor Moy »

In my selective reading, like Username, I read that Bun Rany has Chinese ancestry. AFAIK, the rest is gossip until someone provides a source to the contrary.
In my other selective reading, I didn't see that HE who cannot be named is half-Chinese either.
Do you have a source for that ?

I don't want to be pedantic ABC, but you are the one who was crying out for true sources and real information on this forum.
We all do what we can, but I don't think that spreading rumours will get us closer to the truth about anything, and there's enough hate and friction going on without feeding the fire.
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Poipet factory workers block road, protesting against inhumane (Chinese) conditions

Post by Abc123 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:22 pm In my selective reading, like Username, I read that Bun Rany has Chinese ancestry. AFAIK, the rest is gossip until someone provides a source to the contrary.
In my other selective reading, I didn't see that HE who cannot be named is half-Chinese either.
Do you have a source for that ?

I don't want to be pedantic ABC, but you are the one who was crying out for true sources and real information on this forum.
We all do what we can, but I don't think that spreading rumours will get us closer to the truth about anything, and there's enough hate and friction going on without feeding the fire.
His grandparents were of Teochew Chinese heritage.

The Teochew people (also known as Tiê-Chiu in romanized Teochew, Chaozhou in Mandarin, and Chiuchow in Cantonese) are a Han Chinese native to the historical Chaozhou prefecture (now the Chaoshan region) of eastern Guangdong province . Their native dialact is the Teochew dialect. Today, most Teochew people that can still speak their native dialact live outside China in Southeast Asia, especially in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines, and Indonesia. Teochews can also be found almost anywhere in the world, including North America, Australia and France.[citation needed] Many Teochews people in China have stopped speaking their native tongue and switched to speaking Manderin.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teochew_people

I'm glad I have been corrected on his wife's heritage. I had that remembered all wrong.

So, they've both got Chinese blood. Do they both speak Mandarin? How about the Teochew dialect?
I think any tourists that dislike the Vietnamese need to give their own reasons why. Are there many Cambodians that read this site? I wouldn't have thought so. :D
username
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by username »

Abc123 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:04 am So, they've both got Chinese blood. Do they both speak Mandarin? How about the Teochew dialect?
I'm not sure where you're going with this. I think you're reading to much into their ancestry. Most people (well everyone, if you go back more than just a few generations) have ancestry from other countries, although I think it's interesting to know about HE's language capabilities.

Vietnamese:
In 1977 he defected from the Khmer Rouge and fled to Vietnam, and was from 1979 deputy, foreign and prime minister in the Vietnamese controlled People's Republic of Kampuchea. If he didn't speak Vietnamese before that, surely he did learn it during that period.

In this video, he's holding a speech in Vietnamese (in a memorial ceremony of his defection?)

Strangio's HE's Cambodia:
In his 27 years he had known nothing but war and political
struggle. He had never been outside Cambodia or Vietnam, and spoke no
other foreign languages.
This implies, if correct, that he didn't speak Chinese growing up. In fact, with his background from the countryside, he was known to speak a very colloquial Khmer, and by this gaining popularity among the regular folks.

European languages:

Again from HE's Cambodia:
With the help of his young aides, HE’s political education
continued. They taught him basic French and English and produced
summaries of foreign books that he avidly absorbed.
I have never heard him speak French, but with the region's history, it's understandable they would try to teach it to him.
He did speak English to journalists during the 90s, but I haven't seen any clips of him speaking English since that. Maybe except some small talk when meeting foreign tourists in his Facebook live videos, if my memory serves me well.

Here's a clip from 1997, where he speaks pretty bad English:

Chinese:
I can't really find any sources saying anything about him knowing a Chinese language.
I looked at some clips from his meetings in China, and he's speaking Khmer there. It's not uncommon to rely on interpreters in political settings, even if they know the other party's language, but I doubt he's fluent in Chinese, if he speaks any at all.

He seems a lot more sheepish and shy than normal, when he's speaking with the Chinese. Talking very low, almost mumbling. Take a look at some of the clips:

1999:

2010 (45s into the video):

2017 (40s into the video):

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems you imply that the closer ties to China recently is a result of his Chinese ancestry, but I see it as nothing else than a political move, as he moves away from western democracy and allies. He was very anti-China in the 80s and early 90s, doubtfully as a result of his ancestry?
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

He speaks 3 languages or more, and his English is way better than my Khmer. Respect for that.

How many languages does Donald speak?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

donald? he speaks 0.70 English
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Abc123 »

username wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:58 am
Abc123 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:04 am So, they've both got Chinese blood. Do they both speak Mandarin? How about the Teochew dialect?
I'm not sure where you're going with this. I think you're reading to much into their ancestry. Most people (well everyone, if you go back more than just a few generations) have ancestry from other countries, although I think it's interesting to know about HE's language capabilities.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems you imply that the closer ties to China recently is a result of his Chinese ancestry, but I see it as nothing else than a political move, as he moves away from western democracy and allies. He was very anti-China in the 80s and early 90s, doubtfully as a result of his ancestry?
Good post. My original point was that if Arget thinks the Chinese are bigoted towards the Khmer, that I have heard some Sino- Khmer here expressing the same opinions. As far as taking a bigoted stance myself, I'm just laughing instead of crying at how some Cambodians view these things. They've just deported third generation Cambodian citizens hoping to win more votes no doubt. So everyone should be having a go at them. Not me.

If Samdech BR was of 'pure' Khmer descent or Chinese or even Vietnamese, it makes no difference to me. She was born in Cambodia, and is therefore Cambodian. I have no idea how she feels about it though, as many Sino- Khmer families here seem to consider themselves more Chinese than Khmer. Eg They often celebrate Chinese new year more than Khmer new year.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Disagree about celebrating Chinese New Year more than Khmer.

Many return home to the provinces, so maybe we don't see the full impact of KNY

I've lived in areas where KNY celebrations have started a full month before the event, that doesn't happen with CNY

In addition, CNY has not been made a legally-recognised holiday yet

I think many take CNY simply to have the holiday, Khmers love holidays (don't we all?)
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Abc123 »

that genius wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:43 pm Disagree about celebrating Chinese New Year more than Khmer.

Many return home to the provinces, so maybe we don't see the full impact of KNY

I've lived in areas where KNY celebrations have started a full month before the event, that doesn't happen with CNY

In addition,[CNY has not been made a legally-recognised holiday yet

I think many take CNY simply to have the holiday, Khmers love holidays (don't we all?)
Well, that doesn't fit in with some of the conversations/ observations I've had with the wealthier Sino-Khmer here. But respect for bothering to reply to my post. My landlord was complaining the other day about the Chinese shop renter/ block caretaker in my tenement block. I asked him if the shop owner was pure Chinese. He said, no. I then mentioned that his family have money; therefore, he must have some Chinese blood too. He said, yes, but not as much. Lol. Cambodian society appears to be split on so many levels;
Ex KR or not. Vietnamese descent or not. Chinese descent or not. Pure Khmer or not. CPP or not Etc etc. Some of these opinions seem to deny basic common sense. But that's probably just some people wherever you live.
Last edited by Abc123 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Abc123 »

frank lee bent wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:52 am donald? he speaks 0.70 English
Come on Frank, that's a bit rough on the man who's going to save the white West.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic