Canadian Expat Accused by Stepdaughter of Locking Up His Filipina Wife in Kep, Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Canadian Expat Accused by Stepdaughter of Locking Up His Filipina Wife in Kep, Cambodia

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Why doesn’t she just wait until he goes back to Myanmar and then skip out on him?

I understand it would be better to leave sooner but it sounds like she can do whatever she wants when he is not in the country so would give her the perfect opportunity.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Canadian Expat Accused by Stepdaughter of Locking Up His Filipina Wife in Kep, Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

Is the mom a confessed LBFM? Talks bad like Aung San Suu Kyi?

Do they have false imprisonment here?

How about he ditch her, and marry a Muslim? Then it's all good.

He can also overcome his jealousy if he can afford another wife, maybe her friend. All in the family.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

SmartAston Martin wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:05 am Is the mom a confessed LBFM? Talks bad like Aung San Suu Kyi?

Do they have false imprisonment here?

How about he ditch her, and marry a Muslim? Then it's all good.

He can also overcome his jealousy if he can afford another wife, maybe her friend. All in the family.
marrying a muslim might not be the best idea at the mo if he want to go back to Myanmar. Of course he could take her to a nice refugee camp in Cox's bazaar and join the Rohingya
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Uh, if he can treat her better than the Burmese treat her, his conservatively Muslim wife would be HIS PROPERTY. So they can't molest her more than they would mess with his horse or car.

Some good Muslims however put their prized race horse or dream car on a pedestal. Must be nice if you're that appreciated.

Of course, race horses and nice cars get stolen, so you really shouldn't be irresponsible and leave them unguarded ...

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

What would bother me is picking my wife from a lineup in Burkhas. bit of a lucky dip if you don't see what she looks like unitl after the wedding....
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

You obviously haven't seen the lascivious upper class, with dark kohl eyeliner and skin-tight garments.

They look like Kardashians under all those flowing clothes, hugging their curves and betraying an "immodest walk."

'Ware the fall of Solomon and his 700 (mostly dark-skinned) wives and 300 concubines.

Hot-blooded are the desert women and North African diaspora. Wow.

Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

Is he control freak, a strict Muslim or something else?
If he goes back often to Myanmar your mom should just leave when he is away that's it.
If she doesn't want to leave (maybe she needs your stepfather's money for supporting other family members I immagine ) you should let her decide, you could actually precipitate an already bad situation by trying to sue him, he might think that the lawsuit is her idea and turn violent if he is a controlling person.
Unless he really locks her in a room or worse I don't think you can really sue the guy anyway, this kind private disputes require action by the wife not the stepdaughter to turn into a lawsuit.
You can't sue someone for talking in a bad way here unless you are spreading disinformation to the public with the intent to harm someone's reputation there are no laws in place for a lawsuit, anyway defamation is an hard lawsuit to win if you aren't a public figure.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

pczz wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:40 pm
username wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:16 pm
John Bingham wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:01 pm
General Mackevili wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:48 pm Is verbal abuse a criminal offence in Cambodia? I'm guessing not.
It could be under the defamation laws, "Defamation shall mean any allegation or charge made in bad faith which tends to injure the honor or reputation of an individual or organization". Article 305 states that a charge need only to tend to harm reputation or honor. Of course this is irrelevant unless the injured party is prepared to pay thousands in fees.
I can't see how that law can be used for verbal abuse inside the four walls of their private house, though.
Can if it is said in front of someone else, because that makes it public. if mum can get out the house she can clear out the joint bank account at the counter.
Truth as a defence to defamation and uttering it in the public domain often don't even come up in local defamation cases.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Crap is crap, it's true. Just please don't serve it to all our faces.

And, uh, is Mom complaining? I'm personally sick and can't be bothered to look it up.

Mind over matter - "If she doesn't mind, it doesn't matter."

Women's lib - right to accept their own mistakes.

I say put 'em to work and let them lead with cash. Quite attractive for some.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic