White Teacher Abused by Her Japanese Boyfriend

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: White Teacher Abused by Her Japanese Boyfriend

Post by pczz »

whiteribbon wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:20 pm Agree with most things that are said here. I probably also use words that may offend other people without knowing. Just saying that if someone points out that I use a word or do something that offends them, I don't have a problem with changing that habit. It's not because certain things are done already a long time they are ok. But I'm with prahocalypse, 1 toilet for all should be enough. Stop the segregation, we are all the same. But I'll stop commenting now, this topic was about something else.
"‘Zwarte Piet’ or Black Peter, Santa’s little helper. Some assert that the root of this tradition is actually Italian chimney sweeps and the black is soot. " from http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/polis/2009/12/06 ... liwog-row/
Some things are not always as they seem. My grandmother told me that when she was a child someone had to come through the door with a blacked up face carrying a bit of coal, and it was indeed to symbolize one of santas little helpers who got covered in soot delivering the presents.
Not to be confused with golliwogs which is a black fictional character created by Florence Kate Upton that appears in children's books in the late 19th century and usually depicted as a type of rag doll.
So the question is when do you have to abandon cultural heritage because it is perceived as being something ist in a modern context? I certainly don't want to share toilets with women. they hog the stalls and the mirrors and take forever so at least 2 toilets please. We are not all the same
xxxxxxx
Expatriate

Post by xxxxxxx »

pczz wrote: I certainly don't want to share toilets with women.
The occasional drunken and sweaty few minutes shared in a stall on a Friday night out in a pub loo notwithstanding, in which case it's 'the more the merrier'.
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

Haaaa yes they should be black because they came through the chimney to deliver presents. But they shouldn't have huge pumped up red lips and cartoonish hair, going trough a chimney doesn't give you a botox injection and curly black locks suddenly. Black Pete was a worse version of a golliwog until 2 years ago.The black Petes also kidnapped the bad children in their bag to a place where no-one could ever find them. Luckily recently they seem to understand it's insulting and start to change Black Pete into what he was supposed to be. If you google the pictures of 3 or 4 years ago to the pictures of 2017 there's a huge difference already. Not in all towns, but the big cities in Holland and Belgium are taking the lead and making Black Pete less offensive. And why not? It's a childrens holiday, you think children care if Pete has huge lips and curly hair, if he's purple, orange, or yellow? They're just happy not to end up in his bag.
just noise, white noise
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Well that is a case of a cultural symbol being abused for political reasons. Returning black pete to his original form would be sensible but banning him would not be. Why is it that American africans feel it is fine to refer to women as "birches" and "hos" when women find those terms derogatory and offensive? And white performers of the same music get grief overit. Why is it OK to have statues to civil war Union generals and not to confederate ones? They both were responsible for horrendous warcrimes? Its all a matter of perception and we really cannot ban everything on the basis that a few people may find them offensive. No condoms because some religious groups object, no sex before marriage or alcohol, no bathing costumes, no beards where does it end?
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

pczz wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:34 am Well that is a case of a cultural symbol being abused for political reasons. Returning black pete to his original form would be sensible but banning him would not be. Why is it that American africans feel it is fine to refer to women as "birches" and "hos" when women find those terms derogatory and offensive? And white performers of the same music get grief overit. Why is it OK to have statues to civil war Union generals and not to confederate ones? They both were responsible for horrendous warcrimes? Its all a matter of perception and we really cannot ban everything on the basis that a few people may find them offensive. No condoms because some religious groups object, no sex before marriage or alcohol, no bathing costumes, no beards where does it end?

True. Something i struggle with. I don't think we should ban anything. But admit I would probably ban all religions if I were ever in a position to do so. So I'm being a hypocrite. There are some things and opinions that are very wrong in my my mind but prefer to talk and discus and hopefully change peoples mind. What also means I should be able to state my opinion on certain matters without being insulted just for that opinion. But here on CEO it seems like most people posting just want to talk with people with the same opinion as them. Not sure why I'm here.
just noise, white noise
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

We could start by banning monotheistic religions, a curse on society.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

That Genius, oh,shut up, you're just being a geek.

Whiteribbon is being a snowflake.

Pczz sounds like a secretly African-American name. For shizzle my nizzle, my P-cizzle! Look at his stupid questions below:
Why is it that American Africans feel it is fine to refer to women as "birches" and "hos" when women find those terms derogatory and offensive? And white performers of the same music get grief overit.

First, not all African-Americans speak this way, at all. Just a very vocal "rebel" minority on the media that is spreading like a virus. You listen to too much hip hop.

Also, because African-Americans are a completely different ethnic group, with a very different set of norms and values. True, they are riddled with poverty and "miseducation" compared to most other groups (no one can deny) — hence the very common yet deplorable use of denigrating words. It's a mark of poverty, or the ghetto, or its culture.

On the bright side, they are often the leaders of revolution and change, so in my opinion, they are given a (muted) pass on their right to expression. America was founded on revolution, hence, their acceptance / tolerance of it, should it follow basic American values.

It's like asking why Canadians say, "Eh?" a lot. Not all do, eh, but it's a part of their culture. Americans don't do it, the English don't do it. No real reason, just a cultural phenomenon.

White performers are held to the white group's standard: that is, more educated in general than the African-American population, I'm sure you'll find that stat somewhere (in general, of course).

So, SOME OF YOU ARE IGNORING THE SOCIAL NORM BASELINE — EVERY CULTURE HAS ITS OWN MERITS AND DISADVANTAGES. For example, these statements go against social norms / stereotypes [ CAUTION: Touches on VERY GENERALIZED stereotypes and biases, of which I DO NOT believe, and I attempt to spare NO ONE ] :

"You're black and you can't dance? What? You can't play basketball, either? What can you do?"

"You're a gay black lawyer? Really?"

"You'r English is quite good for a Gaelic person, really." <-- Haha. We all know Irish are some of the best authors in English. ":P

"You're a remarkably small-nosed, yet tanned white person. And you can dance quite well, but you aren't outrageous in Cambodia. Are you really white?"

"For a black person, you're penis is remarkably small. Is that because of your flailing in the cold ocean just now, since you really can't swim? Why are you shivering?"

"My, you are large, thickly muscled, medium-sized-penis swinging Asian man, and quite rude, too, at times. Why don't you use your egghead intelligence that you're supposedly gifted with? That goes against Asian stereotypes in America!"
Why is it OK to have statues to civil war Union generals and not to confederate ones?
Are you that stupid? Or do you think we're that stupid?

THE WINNER GETS TO (RE)WRITE THE HISTORY BOOKS. Really? You'd waste money and resources edifying your fallen enemies? Stupid question. Next?

Don't want to seem to callous, but man, those are silly questions, sorry.

Hope you had a laugh at my off-the-cuff silly biased examples, haha.

Carry on ...
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

@SAM Count me in as a snowflake. What a load of drivel. Did you read what you wrote before you posted this ?
"My, you are large, thickly muscled, medium-sized-penis swinging Asian man,
Seriously. :facepalm:
silversurfer
Expatriate
Indonesia

Post by silversurfer »

Well that sure was an eye opener.. will need a whiskey or two and a good lie down to recover..
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

triggered some underlying issues maybe?
medium-sized-penis swinging Asian man
the swinging dick expression usually does not involve a size metric. it is best left unsaid for many reasons.
it originates in Texas, so that should tell you enough about it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic