Health insurance

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Health insurance

Post by whiteribbon »

james1234 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:56 pm
Got my quotation from infinity:
Plan: Essential Individual USD - 2018

Annual premium:
•Essential Plus with nil excess = $5,942.00.
•Essential with nil excess = $3,455.79
Wow that's expensive, shouldn't have recommended them in this case, I only have my home and car insurance there so didn't know their health insurance was so much!
just noise, white noise
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Anyone tried Manulife or prudential?
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

They offer life insurance, not health insurance.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

I just got a quote from Cigna. They want $636.54 a month - that's $7638.48 a year!

EDIT: That's with $750 deductible, and 'Outpatient' coverage at $250.78 per month with $500 deductable (10% cost share ($3000 max.))
I could forego the Outpatient coverage and it's $385.76 per month or $4629.12 per year.
Last edited by Cruisemonkey on Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You could be next.
james1234
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by james1234 »

Dont't know where you are from, but the best options for me were German and UK expat insurances. Costs about 70-90$ per month! Only after 69 it gets more expansive.

Easiest option: https://www.healthcareinternational.com/
Cheapest option: http://www.auslandskrankenversicherung.de But need to move to Germany every 5 years.

Good luck
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

James,

HealthCare International has the most reasonable premiums of many policies I've seen (I wouldn't qualify for the German one). In my case, the bare bones "Emergency" ($500,000) policy will run me $1339.20 a year with a $2000 deductible.

I bought the HCI policy... mostly for 'piece of mind'. After all, it's gambling where I hope I don't 'win' i.e. collect on the insurance. If I moved to Vietnam with no health insurance, I'd constantly be in a little angst... and in the back of my mind would be "What if...".

Thanks!
CM
You could be next.
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

As mentioned, I have the HCI policy. My only concern is that because I live in Myanmar, and ride my dirt-bike in remote areas, a serious accident will see me dead before the ox-cart ambulance arrives to take me to the filthy local clinic which is at least 3 hours away.

Having the best medical cover won't help you if you have a serious accident or illness in a remote location.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

I've ridden dirt bikes on & off road all over Laos... with no insurance. 'On road' is suicidal. I've been almost killed three times: once by a flying goat that was run over by an SUV (it popped up into the air from underneath the rear differential) that passed me doing at least 180 kmph on a 'straight stretch'; once by a giant truck that ran me off the road by changing lanes as I was passing it; and once by a car who decided to pass a truck going up and around a blind, hairpin corner of a steep, narrow mountain road (with a sheer cliff on the inside and a sheer 1500 ft. drop on the outside) while I was coming down in the opposite direction. Holy Fuck Fuck Batman! The only reasons I'm still alive are a lot of experience riding bikes (street bikes in Canada - three Yamahas & a Norton - Honda Bajas & XRs in Laos and countless motos in: Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam)... and sheer, dumb luck.
:facepalm:

I'm stickin' to (mostly) motos now... and hopefully any crashes will result in hospital bills of less than my rather high deductible. I figure $2000 will go a long way in Vietnam for minor shit... but it could be a 'drop in the bucket' if I really need the insurance for something major.
You could be next.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

simon43 & james1234,

How long after you applied for the policy with HealthCare International did it take for them to confirm/follow up/send the policy?

I applied (and paid) online last night. However, I've received nothing (except the 'quote' and my 'chat transcript') by email yet. I was 'chatting' with them while filling out the application because I was unsure of what to put for:
- my address (I'm moving at the end of the month)
- my occupation (I'm retiring)
- my doctor (I haven't had a doctor for 12 years... my 'old' doctor in Canada has retired). The Koreans and Chinese have been giving me yearly medical exams for Immigration/Residence Permit purposes... but I haven't been ill or seen a doctor.

I have a link to their website that confirms I have paid -
Your transaction for medical_XXXXXXXXXXXX was valid.
... but nothing else (yet). I emailed them asking "What's happening?"... but they haven't replied (yet).

Thanks,
CM
You could be next.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

There's been a 'fuck up' -

HCI replied they have accepted my application and their underwriters added no exclusions. However, it seems the website/computer wasn't working properly when I applied. When they sent me a confirmation of coverage and a copy of my application to sign and return, I noticed two of my answers to questions on the Health History questionnaire were answered 'No' when they should be 'Yes' (I had 'ticked' Yes): 31) Have you smoked...? and 35) Have you had major dental work...? . After a frustrating evening of email correspondence, they have sent my application (with the correct answers) back to the underwriters for re-evaluation.

Now, I'm waiting to hear from them... again.
You could be next.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic