Health insurance

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Re: Health insurance

Post by simon43 »

I live in Myanmar, which is not well-known for good medical facilities...

I have a medical insurance policy with Health Care International (UK), including Medivac to Thailand/Singapore.

I pay $723 USD per year for their Emergency Plus plan, $500k cover, $2k deductible, pretty comprehensive cover.

I'm 58 years old, no pre-existing conditions.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Arget wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:29 am I have insurance with A Plus Medical Insurance. $3150 per year. Medivac included.

Medivac is for pussies that dont want to die in Cambodia.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Duncan wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:38 am
Arget wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:29 am I have insurance with A Plus Medical Insurance. $3150 per year. Medivac included.

Medivac is for pussies that dont want to die in Cambodia.
Yes. medIvac to Thailand with 500k cover. if you run out of cover which would be easy with a brain injury or a stroke for example,they wheel you in the street to die. My main gripe with cheap insurance companies is you usually have to pay yourself first and suck up the interest on your credit card until they get round to paying and they have too many exclusions like they do not pay for translators, or they only pay for medical care, not food and drink and so on and so on. And then the killer. First thing they ask you is if you been drinking because some exclude accidents caused by alcohol or drugs. They tried that one on me when I hit my head in the hotel. First question "did you nconsme any alcohol in the previous 8 hours"
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

that genius wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:23 am
soup wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:01 am Let me get in on this. I too am looking for a policy. Actually, this topic is being discussed at work as we are collectively looking for a policy.

So far, I think we are going to call that broker that lives in Vietnam and have him make a presentation to the staff but nothing is cemented yet, so if there is anyone with knowledge of a good company or a hard-working broker, I would be interested to know.

A policy with motorcycle accident coverage would be fantastic! Anyone?
I doubt you'll get a medical policy that specifies motorcycle accident coverage, they would treat you and pay IF you were a licensed driver and not at fault.

Caminco does accident insurance, Infinity do theft, 3rd party and damages to the bike, Forte do 3rd party and damage to the bike but not theft.
There used be an accident with Moto insurance only available trough smart, you could pay it more times for more coverage from from 1 to 4 dollars a month and covered up to 9k. I don't think it is on their website anymore.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Jack.R. wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:22 pm
that genius wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:23 am
soup wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:01 am Let me get in on this. I too am looking for a policy. Actually, this topic is being discussed at work as we are collectively looking for a policy.

So far, I think we are going to call that broker that lives in Vietnam and have him make a presentation to the staff but nothing is cemented yet, so if there is anyone with knowledge of a good company or a hard-working broker, I would be interested to know.

A policy with motorcycle accident coverage would be fantastic! Anyone?
I doubt you'll get a medical policy that specifies motorcycle accident coverage, they would treat you and pay IF you were a licensed driver and not at fault.

Caminco does accident insurance, Infinity do theft, 3rd party and damages to the bike, Forte do 3rd party and damage to the bike but not theft.
There used be an accident with Moto insurance only available trough smart, you could pay it more times for more coverage from from 1 to 4 dollars a month and covered up to 9k. I don't think it is on their website anymore.
This company used to include cover for moto up to 250cc provided you had an license and were riding legally. Also used to be able to extend to 18 months, but you had to have eu address and start journey from the Eu. Have to check their current policy cos its bee at kleast 5 years since I used them
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Sorry forgot link http://www.globelink.co.uk/
james1234
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by james1234 »

Those UK expat insurances are a great option too! I contacted them.

Good coverage at affortable costs. I contacted them and for 700-800 euro a year you would have a great expat health Insurance. Can last also after 65 years! :beer3:

Those offers of 3000-5000$ are ridiculous! :dragonchase:
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

I'm a 61-year-old Canadian who has been working in Korea and China for the last 12 years (6 years each). In Korea I was covered by the National Health Insurance Plan, in China I'm covered (minimally) by my employer's 'private' policy. I have no provincial health insurance in Canada - I withdrew when I moved to Korea in Aug. 2005. If I were to move back to Canada, there is a 3 month waiting period before coverage under a provincial health plan 'kicks in' again.

On Jan. 31 my contract expires in China; I'm retiring and moving to Vietnam to live.

Buying 'true' ex-pat health insurance is outrageously expensive. I can buy a 'Basic' 365 day World Nomads Travel Insurance policy for CAD $1465 (USD $1181). However, because I have no insurance in Canada, my aggregate coverage under Emergency Medical is limited to a total of CAD $40,000 instead of $5,000,000. Another thing is - my Canadian driver's license is expired. To be covered by World Nomads while driving/riding a motorcycle/scooter it has to be valid... even if I got a Vietnamese license.

Does anyone think that's 'worth it'?
You could be next.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

james1234 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:27 am Those UK expat insurances are a great option too! I contacted them.

Good coverage at affortable costs. I contacted them and for 700-800 euro a year you would have a great expat health Insurance. Can last also after 65 years! :beer3:

Those offers of 3000-5000$ are ridiculous! :dragonchase:
They also cover you for preexisting conditions like high bloid pressure and diabetes so long as you take your meds. Last time i used them it was about £700 a year. Motorcycle included but you had to have a legal license, insurance if required ( not in cambodia) no driving when drunk or high and obeying traffic laws at the time of accident. It was the only one offerringall this. I did find similar policy in germany but only up to 125cc. Nomads sux. Read the small print VERY carefully and google nomad insurance. N8t worth the paper tye policy 8s written on. If u r resident in se asia try thai blue cross and put in a se asian addess or it will give you BUPA websute with stupid prices
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

All of these policies are way cheaper if your work takes a group policy, so try and get that. Or 'find 100 guys who want medical and 'create' a company to get lower rates.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic