Health insurance

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Health insurance

Post by that genius »

soup wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:01 am Let me get in on this. I too am looking for a policy. Actually, this topic is being discussed at work as we are collectively looking for a policy.

So far, I think we are going to call that broker that lives in Vietnam and have him make a presentation to the staff but nothing is cemented yet, so if there is anyone with knowledge of a good company or a hard-working broker, I would be interested to know.

A policy with motorcycle accident coverage would be fantastic! Anyone?
I doubt you'll get a medical policy that specifies motorcycle accident coverage, they would treat you and pay IF you were a licensed driver and not at fault.

Caminco does accident insurance, Infinity do theft, 3rd party and damages to the bike, Forte do 3rd party and damage to the bike but not theft.
soup
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by soup »

that genius wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:23 am
soup wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:01 am Let me get in on this. I too am looking for a policy. Actually, this topic is being discussed at work as we are collectively looking for a policy.

So far, I think we are going to call that broker that lives in Vietnam and have him make a presentation to the staff but nothing is cemented yet, so if there is anyone with knowledge of a good company or a hard-working broker, I would be interested to know.

I doubt you'll get a medical policy that specifies motorcycle accident coverage, they would treat you and pay IF you were a licensed driver and not at fault.

Caminco does accident insurance, Infinity do theft, 3rd party and damages to the bike, Forte do 3rd party and damage to the bike but not theft.
Given the nature of business here, I would not buy an insurance product from a Thai or Cambodian company. No offense to the Cambodians...

A European or German or Swiss product might be worth a look, though. I think you need the rule of law and some regulation to be in your court.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Then I doubt you will find a motorcycle/car insurance policy.

Infinity/Forte maybe foreign majority owned, I don't know.

But perhaps Prudential will do it, at ten times the cost.
james1234
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by james1234 »

I am not so worried, and could choose for no Insurance too.

What are the chances:

Getting a little sick :bad: : can pay doctor myself
Can have minor accident %) : can pay doctor/ hospital myself
Can have big accident :crazy: : (treatment in Khmer hospital) better to have Insurance, but Cambodian Insurance will do.
Can have heart attact :shock: : (treatment in Khmer hospital) better to have Insurance, but Cambodian Insurance will do.
Can have very big accident :tard: : (treatment in BKK) better to have Insurance with med evac. But having this accident, I could be dead too.
Can have serious illnes (like cancer) :o : have to fly back to europe, get treatment there on national healthplan.

So only in case of very big accident I would need such a very expansive health Insurance? I think I'll take that chance. If I dont want to take that chance, i'd not move to cambodia.

So it will be a affortable Cambodian Insurance, or this german (quite good) Insurance of 59,00 a month.

BUT .. Just called them. There offer is only for people living in Germany. But it is great offer. Full coverage (with med evac and or repatriation to Germany!) for 59,00 a month. Can start till 64 years old. Only way for me to do this is move to Germany, apply Insurance, and than move to Cambodia. Than I have 5 year coverage. Not bad. Worth the effort (Lived in Germany before)
You can renew every 5 years, have to go to Germany for that. After 69, you pay 259,00 per month.

I am not to worried about a cambodian Insurance too, if affordable. I think this could be solution for all cases where you can get in hospital in PP or SR.
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

Would also recommend Infinity. Have all my insurance there and they are a pleasure to deal with.
just noise, white noise
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

soup wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:15 pm
that genius wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:23 am

Given the nature of business here, I would not buy an insurance product from a Thai or Cambodian company. No offense to the Cambodians...

A European or German or Swiss product might be worth a look, though. I think you need the rule of law and some regulation to be in your court.
You are joking! Most eurpoean insuranc eis underwritten in places outside the scop of EU regulations like malta and gibralatar. you complaint is against the underwriter, no the insurance company and it ia cause of huge numbers of complaints in Eu every year. For example
1) most companies do not cover the cost of an interpreter, that is down to you. best of luck in finding a doctor you can communicate with in a hurry
2) many have tiny little restrictions in the small print. your laptop, phone and ipad are covered up to $400 each per incident, so if all three get stolen at the same time you can only claim $400
3) you can only go to private hospital if the public hospital cannot treat you
4) cover is only for medical. y5ou have to pay for your own food and water ( nice one in Bangkok hospital at about $3 a bottle)
5) you pay first and they pay you back, eventually. meanwhile you pay $3000 interest on your credit card bill which you cannot claim back
6) they wont pay unless you contact them first and go where they tell you. Bit awkward if you are unconscious with a stroke. A certain very cheap company for people who wander around a lot has abad rep for telling yo to take a txi 300 miles to the nearet cheap quack they "approve"
7) ambuilances and inter hospital transport not covered
I could goon but the list of complaint/exclusion and tricks played by Insurance companies the world over is too long. You get what you pay for and you got bugger all chance of wining against an insures in Europe. At least here they are trying to build a reputation of trust
james1234
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by james1234 »

Dear all,

Got my quotation from infinity :evil:
Plan: Essential Individual USD - 2018

Annual premium:
•Essential Plus with nil excess = $5,942.00.
•Essential with nil excess = $3,455.79

Are they crasy?
Still wainting on reply from PRÉVOIR.

Think it will be the german route :hattip:
BUT .. Just called them. There offer is only for people living in Germany. But it is great offer. Full coverage (with med evac and or repatriation to Germany!) for 59,00 a month. Can start till 64 years old. Only way for me to do this is move to Germany, apply Insurance, and than move to Cambodia. Than I have 5 year coverage. Not bad. Worth the effort (Lived in Germany before)
You can renew every 5 years, have to go to Germany for that. After 69, you pay 259,00 per month.
Or anyone better solution?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

james1234 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:56 pm Dear all,

Annual premium:

Are they crasy?

Start your own insurance company = bank account. Put $100 in every month. After one year you have $1200. I've been here 13 years with my own insurance,, , so take a guess at how much I have , and how much the insurance company's have missed out on.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Duncan wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:15 pm
james1234 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:56 pm Dear all,

Annual premium:

Are they crasy?

Start your own insurance company = bank account. Put $100 in every month. After one year you have $1200. I've been here 13 years with my own insurance,, , so take a guess at how much I have , and how much the insurance company's have missed out on.
Oops. you might regret saying that. 13 is an unlucky number. how much would you have made if you had put the $1200 a year into bitcoin!
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

I have insurance with A Plus Medical Insurance. $3150 per year. Medivac included.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic