Understanding wise Khmer (khema) ways: "Wisdom over Justice"

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Samana Johann
Expatriate
Cambodia

Understanding wise Khmer (khema) ways: "Wisdom over Justice"

Post by Samana Johann »

Many of you here, either if from wester culter or caught in modern ways often might not understand why and how things are working differently. This two short essays might give you ideas and even understanding, might help to get not preoccupied or caught in usual bias:

Wisdom over Justice

Justice vs. Skillfulness

There is nothing wrong to share your merits here of having gained insight if you could penetrate but the support of this talk. How ever, it's properbly not conuctive to try to make it understood in cases if not and might not lead to better, so one should not see it as impolite if there is no reaction on not really sharing ones good gains.

Much realisations an release from long time burdens.
To Rule the Universe

In the beginning, the gods and goddesses held an election to determine who would be best suited to rule the universe. The first candidate was Agnidevaputra, the God of Fire. “I am the strongest,” he said, “so I should rule. Witness my power.” Then, as he began to chant in a loud voice, a huge fire rose up from the center of the universe and began to burn everywhere. The other gods and goddesses trembled with fear, and they all raised their hands to elect Agnidevaputra. All, that is, except Valahakedeputra, the God of Water.
Valahakedeputra said, “ I can control fire.” And immediately he created a huge deluge to extinguish the fire. As the floodwater rose higher and higher, all the deities raised their hands to vote for him, except Saradadevi, the Goddess of Art and Wisdom.

Saradadevi said, “ Dear friends, fire and water can frighten and kill people, but I give birth to beauty. When I begin to dance, you will relax and completely forget about fire and water.” Saradadevi then danced and sang, and all the gods and goddesses became entranced. Instead of drinking water through their mouths, they began pouring wine into their ears, eyes, and noses. Awed by Saradadevi’s power, all of the deities raised their hands, except Gandharva, the God of Celestial Music.

Gandharva said, “Woman can overcome man, but man can also overcome woman.” Then he began to play his heavenly guitar and sing, and all the deities swooned as the music flowed through the hall. As if in a stupor, they all raised their hands, except Santidevaputra, the God of Peace, Mindfulness, and Clear Comprehension.

Santidevaputra said, “I am the God of Peace. I always practice mindfulness and clear comprehension. Whether you vote for me or not, I rule myself. To rule the universe, you must first rule yourself. To rule yourself, you must be able to rule your own mind. To rule your own mind, you must practice mindfulness and clear comprehension.”

All of the gods and goddesses recognized Santidevaputra’s strength and elected him unanimously. They understood that peace is the strongest force in the world.
Good if becoming real Khmer, becoming khemera, khema

Enjoy the discover of one of the last places of wonders and take care not to harm or destruct your own gained possibility and disappearing doors to "escape" beyound preoccupations. Make wise use of you upanissaya for long time benefit of many and yours. Less are those able to grasp, having given strong condition causes in the past and don't fail to appriciate their own past sacrifies having lead to this auspicious circumstances.

Samana Johann
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Understanding wise Khmer (khema) ways: "Wisdom over Justice"

Post by Samana Johann »

Good. It was clear that clear that it's difficult but it seems to be even more worse.

For those open for it, let my person remind you that the first formost reason for bad states, to do not call it hell, is disrespect toward ones parents, elders, ones leaders, Brahmans and contemplatives, not to speak of ingratitude. MN 130

That is not told as a counter but just a wellmeant advice. It's not a certain persons judges thing but a matter of natural "law" of cause and effect. Opposing and even cause troubles to those one actually owes gratitude, thinking in therms of rights rather then gratitude and generosity, is not the way of the wise and not the way of Khmer and and good tradition.

Although it's the culture section here, it's not really a culter here one even likes to shortly visit an give a gift.

Anyhow, Sadhu for the maintainer of the place to once generously gave access and possibility. As you might understand now things better of what was told in advanced, it might be understandable for you that it would be prefered to delete the account of my person and possible also the post so that you might be not disturbed in that you are here to gather.

A last share also for you mental purification, is inspired and willing in such
"And how is one made pure in three ways by mental action? There is the case where a certain person is not covetous. He does not covet the belongings of others, thinking, 'O, that what belongs to others would be mine!' He bears no ill will and is not corrupt in the resolves of his heart. [He thinks,] 'May these beings be free from animosity, free from oppression, free from trouble, and may they look after themselves with ease!' He has right view and is not warped in the way he sees things: 'There is what is given, what is offered, what is sacrificed. There are fruits & results of good & bad actions. There is this world & the next world. There is mother & father. There are spontaneously reborn beings; there are brahmans & contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the next after having directly known & realized it for themselves.' This is how one is made pure in three ways by mental action."

resolve
May you all find the way to real happieness with ease and witout troubles for yourself.

Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Understanding wise Khmer (khema) ways: "Wisdom over Justice"

Post by Arget »

So now we are all on the same spiritual planet did you hear the latest cricket scores. Aust all out for 327 and the POMS are chasing well being 2 for 192. Could be an interesting game now.

shhhhhh ( do you think he/she believes we have been saved and will now go away??) =@
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic