Cleaner found raped and murdered on Phnom Penh railway track

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cleaner found raped and murdered on Phnom Penh railway track

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The unsolved rape and murder of a young woman leaves a Phnom Penh community shaken
26 December 2017
Chhun Momsoksivutha’s friends used to warn her not to walk home alone at night. The road to the young woman’s apartment was dark, and it lay along a railroad track known as a hotspot for drugs and sex work.

“I have no beauty for them to rape,” Momsoksivutha would dismissively respond, friends said. “And I have no money for them to kill for.”

On Thursday, the 27-year-old dishwasher went missing after she finished cleaning up at a wedding venue around midnight on Thursday. After a frantic search, neighbours found her partially clothed body hidden underneath a concrete structure by the side of the railroad, not far from her house.

Four days later, Momsoksivutha’s rape and murder remains unsolved. Meanwhile, women in this village in Phnom Penh Thmey commune say they have been so shaken by the incident that they are making plans to build fences around their homes and have forbidden their daughters to go out in the evenings.

“We feel unsafe now,” said Thong Bunna, who employed Momsoksivutha. “We still do not understand why they killed her. Every night I go to sleep, I still think about it.”

Bunna said she has since banned her daughter from going out with friends at night and has her older brother take her to school...
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/u ... ity-shaken

Three or four suspects were arrested by the police for questioning on 23 and 24 December, but there is no further information on this.
Police suspect at least two people were involved in the attack, but Phnom Penh Thmey Commune Police Chief Sieng Soeun said yesterday that investigators are “not clear yet” about the involvement of the three suspects who were arrested.
More: Photos and backstory on Darknet Cambodia News.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram