Barang Dresses Up as Santa Claus & Spreads Christmas Cheer in the Cambodian Countryside

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Barang Dresses Up as Santa Claus & Spreads Christmas Cheer in the Cambodian Countryside

Post by Arget »

From all appearances he is doing this with his daughter in their own village where he and his family would be known. I don't see the issue as it is done in daytime with many adults there at the time. Not all of us barangs are "bad"
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Barang Dresses Up as Santa Claus & Spreads Christmas Cheer in the Cambodian Countryside

Post by Gardiguy »

Barang chgout wrote:
Gardiguy wrote:
Beerinthemorning wrote:
that genius wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:21 am
Beerinthemorning wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:12 am social media has ruined the world.
No.

The world has ruined social media.

The guy did some good and made people happy, chill.
he wouldnt do this in his own country so why do it in cambodia?
There are people who do this in their own country as well. Man, some of you need to chill the f out.
Why do they do this?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
I couldn't say for certain as I certainly never would but I imagine it has something to to with giving back to their community and makes them feel good about themselves at the same time.
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

Barang chgout wrote:
Arget wrote:Disagree. Some people do nice things because they can.
Yes. But they don't always blame it on their God.

I think Christmas has mostly been completely co-opted by corporations to the point where most simply associate it with Santa and the spirit of giving/spending money and spending time with family and friends.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

With a dash of "my imaginary friend is the real one " thrown in....
Crazy people handing out gifts to children, worth promoting?

Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Or just a cynical corporate enterprise? Worth promoting?

that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:42 am
Beerinthemorning wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:12 am social media has ruined the world.
No.

And you KNOW he wouldn't do this in his own country HOW?

Stop being such a grouch, he gave shit to kids, they appreciated it.

What did you give them?

Let Khmers decide what offends them, not you.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

It’s a lovely gesture, good on him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

that genius wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:39 pm
Beerinthemorning wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:42 am
No.

And you KNOW he wouldn't do this in his own country HOW?

Stop being such a grouch, he gave shit to kids, they appreciated it.

What did you give them?

Let Khmers decide what offends them, not you.
I would have given all the kids pressies , but unfortunately my Christmas was hacked by the Russians.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic